Anyone Ever Heard of the Intex brand?

deeker

• Members

So I was at the local shop today and they were having a 50% off + no tax dealie... I see this nice red, roundback acoustic electric..(I like the roundbacks, being a rather petite female player, jumbos just aren't for me!) I like the way it plays. action is good, sound is good, 4 channel EQ... tag says list price is $999.99 (CAN), regular store price is $700 making it only $350 taxes in for the day. What the hell, I brought it home. Now I'm trying to find some info on the manufacturer and I'm drawing blanks. Anyone ever even seen an Intex guitar before? I'm thinking it might be a re-brand.

If you'd like pics to try to better id this thing, I can do that..

Any info would be great!

Thanks

• 9 years later...
  • Members

Too late for deeker (posted in 2005), but for the benefit of others...

The Intex brand is the store brand and is sold only by Intercontinental Music of Ottawa. Intex is their lowest quality line... and that's saying something. They also sell Baron and TCM guitars, which are also way over priced for what they are. I have NEVER seen a musical instrument business with such low quality products and such poor customer service. They are a blight and an embarassment to the honest stores here in the Ottawa music scene.

Deeker, think you were lucky with that 50% off sale? Well it's still on - 9 years later. The owner's business model is to suck in newbies with pretty colours and a permanent huge sale - 40 or 50 % off tags on many items. His regular prices are so outrageously high that his "sale" prices are well, ok, only a little higher than you would pay for a better guitar in another store. Sorry that he sucked you in. But if it makes you feel better, there are hundreds, if not thousands of guitarists in the Ottawa area who have overpaid to this man.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Well I certainly can't dispute Bernie's overview on how this shop operates. 20 some years ago guitar newbie me shopped there for a guitar for my son. We got an amazing deal on a guitar that was unplayable due to poor materials and workmanship. The owner tried to repair it and gave it back with some brute force damage. Shell game traded up to a sweet deal on an Intex with a sticker price of $1500.00. Looking back, it was a $150 guitar. I think he took me for $250.00. Maybe more. I still have it. It's heavy, but fine. It's on a stand beside my desk. I still play it. It's my only electric. If I ever gig electric, I will need to buy a guitar that sounds nice.

Avoid this retailer due to deceptive practices. Many reputable stores in the area. Ask a friend or guitar teacher. Good guitars are expensive, but this shop doesn't even have ones to fit the sale prices.

Archived