finally got use to the thumbpick!!!

boutros

• Members

hello all,

i posted a couple of months ago about to thumpick or not to .....

well, i whittled/clipped down some generic blue ones (herco) to my liking and stuck it out and now i can't do with out them! It took maybe 2 to 3 weeks to get used to it and now 5/6 weeks to finally get the length that i hone them down to, and not get them caught in the strings while picking.

my original question/concern was it worth it to use them, and could i ever get used to it?. Well i have, and I am really thankful that i stuck it out and got thru the growing pains.

perhaps they are not for everyone but if you can stand them for a month or so you might be really pleased that you did!:)

peace,

boutros

• Members

I too am trying to get used to a thumb pick. I have tried off and on for years, but never stuck it out. I remember a quote by Buster Jones that it was his brother that taught him how to properly use them, but then not another word on it. I have yet to find any serious theory or advice on the process, other than to just stick with it, so maybe there is none.
I have a bucket full of different brands of thumb picks collected over the years. The ones I have finially settled on are the Delrin Fred Kelly Slick Picks, they have a softer feel than the polycarb Dunlop style. The Herco picks are very thin all the way around and don't stay put on my thumb very well. I am getting close to being able to play as well with one as with my bare thumb, but the real challange for me is getting equal volume from both the fingers and the thumb. My nails are rather thin and slow growing, so I find I have to really back off the thumb pressure, even with the lightest picks, to get something close to an even volume with the fingers. I would rather not go to acrlyics on the fingers, but am considering it. I find it very tough to lightly stroke with the thumb, while really snapping the fingers.

Any advice??

Dave

• Members

hey Dave,

for me part of a more even tone b/tw pick and fingers has been to find the right substance that the pick is made of. I like the blue hercos because they do not have a real brite tone. Plus for me clipping and filing the tip down fairly short, has take some of the snap away. Not sure if you have ever tried cutting the tip down. I use nail clippers to cut shape then a four sided fingernail file to sand and soften/smooth up the edges. After going thru 3 picks i got one that is a perfect template for me. That might be worth a try.

my nails are fairly thin, and the tone can be uneven, too. But i think with continued practice, things will work themselves out. I realize that is very vague, but honestly i am far from advanced in thumpicking and have little instruction in it, but i have been doing some fingerstyle blues lessons and in 6 weeks practicing the fingerstyle stuff maybe an hr, a day. I have seen a real improvement in technique, and tone. so i am very hopeful and looking forward to getting much better!:)

hope this helps,
boutros

• Members

Originally posted by Dave W.

I too am trying to get used to a thumb pick. I have tried off and on for years, but never stuck it out. I remember a quote by Buster Jones that it was his brother that taught him how to properly use them, but then not another word on it. I have yet to find any serious theory or advice on the process, other than to just stick with it, so maybe there is none.

I have a bucket full of different brands of thumb picks collected over the years. The ones I have finially settled on are the Delrin Fred Kelly Slick Picks, they have a softer feel than the polycarb Dunlop style. The Herco picks are very thin all the way around and don't stay put on my thumb very well. I am getting close to being able to play as well with one as with my bare thumb, but the real challange for me is getting equal volume from both the fingers and the thumb. My nails are rather thin and slow growing, so I find I have to really back off the thumb pressure, even with the lightest picks, to get something close to an even volume with the fingers. I would rather not go to acrlyics on the fingers, but am considering it. I find it very tough to lightly stroke with the thumb, while really snapping the fingers.

Any advice??

Dave

I would recommend Tommy Emmanuels instructional book...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0769299342/qid=1124997002/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/002-0085865-2512869?v=glance&s=books

Tommy does a lot of soft strumming in conjunction with his fingerpicking and thumb rhythms. Learning a few of his tunes will get you in the habit. He has the finger/thumb independence totally mastered.

• Members

I too am sticking it out with thumbpicks.
I really need to because I am working hard on my pedal steel.

the main problem I have is he pain from the pressure of the pick wrapping around my thumb.
it plain hurts after a short while.

ive softened them by soaking in warm water and then reshaping them.

still I need to find another brand.

I have a Dunlop.

more like thumblock

• Members

yeah the dunlops are really large and bulky for me. But i have found even among the same brand of picks the tention of the thumbwrap part of the pick can really differ. so if you like the pick try on 5 or 10 different ones (of the same model) and see if any are easier on your cuticle than the others.

peace,
boutros

• Members

Originally posted by GreatestGains

I would recommend Tommy Emmanuels instructional book...

Tommy does a lot of soft strumming in conjunction with his fingerpicking and thumb rhythms. Learning a few of his tunes will get you in the habit. He has the finger/thumb independence totally mastered.

I ordered that book from amazon nearly two full months ago and it has still yet to be shipped out. At first they said 4-6 weeks. Then by then end of the 6th week they told me it may be up to another month or two...if at all. Very frustrating because they are the only ones who sell it. They are apparently having major troubles getting at least one in stock for me. If anyone knows another place to get that book (not through amazon)...enlighten me.

• Members

Originally posted by wadsworth

I ordered that book from amazon nearly two full months ago and it has still yet to be shipped out. At first they said 4-6 weeks. Then by then end of the 6th week they told me it may be up to another month or two...if at all. Very frustrating because they are the only ones who sell it. They are apparently having major troubles getting at least one in stock for me. If anyone knows another place to get that book (not through amazon)...enlighten me.

If you strike out with Dave W's link, they have it here to...

http://www.funkyjunk.com/TE-solo-book.htm

I guess I just got luck with Amazon. That sucks that it took so long.

• Members

Originally posted by wadsworth

Oh forgot to add, there are tons of his tabs on the net, very good quality.

http://www.gitaarspel.nl/english/tab2.php

and...

http://www.powertabs.net/pta.php?page=artist,524

(Look for the ones by "DR Tadpole." Those are excellent quality.

• Members

Thanks Dave and GreatestGains, I think I'm going to try and order it from the Certified Guitar Player Shop. That's funny, because I've been to that site many times in the past but, for some inexplicable reason, never thought to look for it there. *shrugs*

Archived