martin repair ...fantasy idea

cybersecretary

• Members

my old, really really old, martin needs repair.. i sent them an e mail and recieved no reply.

from the serch on this fourm i understand why.

it can't be true! that matrtin dosn't care abot the guitar once it leaves te factory

i have this fantasy, i have had it for many many years...and soon i will have time off of work and the money that i can actuallydo it !

.....that i would go to the factory and meet a bunch of old luthiers who oogled over the thing!

They would take me into their arms and repair the sweet guitar with love and kindness...

we would play music and talk wood and tone and strings and ..

you get the picture...

maybe i should film a documentry...

anyone want in?

pilgramage to Nazarath PA to the factory...

any takers?

• Members

Shady is right. How long has your e-mail been out there? I've found that they are usually damn slow to answer back, but that they generally do answer, eventually. About a week seems to be average. I once got an answer two full months after an inquiry... The inquiry happened to be about availability of a particular custom option. It turned out to be available after all, but I'd long since got tired of waiting for their slow, la-ti-da ass and purchased something else by another brand. Twits.

• Members

You'll probably have better luck with a phone call or actual letter than an e-mail. I would recommend finding a Martin Authorized Repair Center instead of sending it to the factory anyway. The factories main job is to build guitars not to repair them. The Authorized Repair Centers job is to do repairs. What kind of repairs do you need? Are they warranty repairs? I'd recommend checking on the UMGF(Martin forum) and finding a good repair tech in your area.

• Members

im sure most of you have figured out i am a yairi freak.well ive called alvarez alot just to rave about my guitars and ask little questions like what types of wood are used for the bracing and such and they ALWAYS return my call within 45 minuites.i think that is how a customer should be treated cause top quality guitars aint cheap.if you give them your money they OWE you some respect.

• Members

You must contact the Martin Customer desk @ 800-633-2060. Ask for Burt Diaz, he'll steer you through the procedure. First, he will provide you with the name and location of the Martin Cert' tech in your area. You will be instructed to go see him and he will check out your guitar. The cert' tech will make the decision as to whether or not it goes back to Naz. If it is determined that your guitar is going to leave town, he will have to handle the shipping directly from and back to his shop. Your other option is to hand delver it to Naz, they will reluctantly look at it while you are there. They don't like walks ins, you may want to set something up with Burt beforehand.

Peace - Mo'

• Members

Originally posted by lalatingstrings

im sure most of you have figured out i am a yairi freak.well ive called alvarez alot just to rave about my guitars and ask little questions like what types of wood are used for the bracing and such and they ALWAYS return my call within 45 minuites.i think that is how a customer should be treated cause top quality guitars aint cheap.if you give them your money they OWE you some respect.

I've never had a problem talking with Martin. Picked up the phone, dialed the number, asked for customer service. What's the big deal?

• Members

Jesus. If it's just a bridge pulling up, that's a 100 dollar job from and independent luther. Takes maybe an hour. Heat the bridge. Peel it off. Clean off the old glue and clamp/glue back.

If you aren't the original owner Martin doesn't owe you anything. Just get your guitar fixed. Good luck with the holes in it.

• Members

CS-

If it's from the forties it probably needs a neck reset as well, which has to be done at the factory. I have found from personal experience that even mentioning a defect with a Martin on this board can result in derision and all around unpleasant behavior. It seems some of these Martinites can get as venomous as a Bin Laden recruit :eek:

Call Naz for advice, they'll direct you to the local Cert tech who will assist you in a professional manner.

Peace - Mo'

• Members

Originally posted by MOJO de BEAU

CS-

If it's from the forties it probably needs a neck reset as well, which has to be done at the factory.

Nah. any reputable luthier can do the work.

Originally posted by MOJO de BEAU

I have found from personal experience that even mentioning a defect with a Martin on this board can result in derision and all around unpleasant behavior. It seems some of these Martinites can get as venomous as a Bin Laden recruit Peace - Mo'

I gotta disagree again. There are a few Martin fanatics around here, but they're not that closed minded, not all of them anyway.

• Members

Regarding the e mail delay.Martin gets bombarded by thousands of e mails from all kinds of anal Martin nerds needing to know arcane,obscure details about the centre of gravity of their bridge pins,and the tonal properties of gold plating.

I have it on good authority that some of these people have been known to actually play their guitars.

Bottom line,they will get back to you-eventually.

BTW,I`m marketing a range of personally monogrammed arm socks-anyone interested?

• Members

Originally posted by cybersecretary

my old, really really old, martin needs repair.. i sent them an e mail and recieved no reply.

from the serch on this fourm i understand why.

it can't be true! that matrtin dosn't care abot the guitar once it leaves te factory

Hey, Martin may not be perfect, who is?, but with my dealings with them they surely DID care. Others have had bad experiences, but I am satisfied with how I was treated.

Years ago, around '78 or '79, I made an appointment with Martin, drove my guitar from New Jersey to Nazareth to have a crack repaired under warranty (although it was my fault for taking it to Vermont in Feb.), and picked it up 3 weeks later.

These days Martin still keeps a repair shop at the factory however it is small, and will only handle repairs in special circumstances. Why do they do this? Because it's cheaper to pay outside shops than to pay salaries and benefits to a large staff to handle warranty repairs for no charge! This may not be the answer we want to hear but it's reality.

They will answer the phone and do eventually respond to emails. Sandy Trach is the name of the woman who used to answer emails. Not sure whether she still has this job. You can also find service centers directly from their website, so this information is not at all difficult to obtain.

When my neck was poorly reset by an Authorized Martin Dealer/Service Center, they reset it for no charge in Nazareth in only 8 weeks, which was 4 weeks sooner than they promised. This was done after I gave up on the first shop and visited a highly recommended Martin authorized repairman in Westchester County, NY who was appalled at the lousy work done by the authorized dealer. When he contacted Martin they instructed me to send the guitar to Nazareth for their evaluation, and upon receipt notified me that they would reset the neck again for no additional charge. They did an excellent job but it could've been done just as well by the guy in Westchester Co., however Martin needed to document the poor job done by one of their dealers.

If you tell us where you live someone may be able to recommend a good shop. And your repairs sound quite minor, as long as it does not need anything else. How long ago was the neck reset and how old are the frets, anyway????

• Members

Mojo, I understand that you had a legitimate gripe about customer service over in nazareth, i sympathize with your situation, but coming in here and comparing all us 'martinites' to 'bin ladin recruits' is outright moronic. I've never owned a Martin, but i suppose if loving logical, reasonable thought makes me a Martinite... i'm happy to be so.

• Members

Cl' -

I am a Martinite, everything is cool bro.

I 'll rephrase the statement for a more politically correct tone :)

( sort of like the Fox Network's versions of reality ) , ok, mmmm let's make it " some of these Martinites can be as veracious as a Mama Bear protecting her furry cubs", Grrrrrr.

See, I'm a reasonable man; showing understanding and flexibility.

I've been playing it out left and right since it came back and it's been a total blast.

Peace - Mo'

• Members

Woof, woof.

I am glad you love your Yairi. Fender amps and guitars have been an integral part of my life since I got out of HS in the 70s. I have nice equipment, I love my Spaghetti Stratocasters and BF, P2P toys. When someone mentions having a problem with their gear I don't turn into some snide a-hole with a chip on his shoulder. It seems more rewarding to lead that person to the proper, vintage amp tech or best guitar man in the area.

Speaking generally, why exactly is it necessary for said a-holes to chirp in with lame, condescending and non helpful comments in response to an honest query ? Why indeed ??

Peace - Mo'