Looking to buy my first acoustic

Jim7895

• Members

Hi all.

I haven't posted in this forum before. I play electric up to this point, but would like to get an acoustic.

I'm currently leaning towards a Seagull. They seem th best value in the under $450 USD range.

I don't anticipate playing it a ton, but I would like a decent one.

Any others to look at?

Thanks in advance!!

:)

• Members

I have a Seagull M6 that I bought a couple of months ago right at your budget number. I just bought a Larrivee OM-3MT, but the Seagull is still getting more playing time, just because it sounds nice and is quite a bit easier to play than the Larrivee. I do not think you would be disappointed in a Seagull at all. One thing, though: get the guitar setup for you. I don't think this can be stressed enough. As great as the Gull is to play right now, it was almost a nightmare to play before I got a proper setup on it (I purchased it online, and was not able to ensure the setup was correct at the time of purchase).

• Members

Seagulls are great guitars for the money, but nobody, I mean NOBODY, can beat Yamaha when it comes to "bang-for-your-buck."

I was Guitar Center yesterday and played a Yamaha FG-730S like this one here....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/519049/

WOW!!!! :eek:

This guitar plays and sounds incredible for a sub-$300 acoustic!!

Before you plunk down your hard-earned cash, make sure to give this guitar a try. I guarantee you'll be impressed in every way... tone, playability, and even with the way it looks. :)

• Members

I definately would suggest trying out every guitar in your price range you can. In searching for guitars I have found that even two guitars made of the same wood in the same price range can sound quite different. Even the same MODEL of guitar can sometimes have suttle differences.

That being said.. I have owned a Seagull S6+ Cedar for about five years and I am just at the point where I want to upgrade.. even so, I will always keep it as my "take around" guitar and have loved it for the years I have played and performed with it.

- Nate

• Members

Originally posted by Buck62

Seagulls are great guitars for the money, but nobody, I mean NOBODY, can beat Yamaha when it comes to "bang-for-your-buck."

This guitar plays and sounds incredible for a sub-$300 acoustic!!

I have a Yamaha solid-top as my acoustic and I like it a lot. It was my first guitar, and my needs are pretty minimal -- it's definately satisfied. I haven't played much else, so I don't have a ton to compare it to, but it was by far the nicest sounding in my price range. I think I got it for just under $300.

• Members

Coming from a strong electric background myself I'd suggest you look beyond dreadnoughts; they are WAY bigger than an electric unless you're playing a monster jazz box and a Seagull neck is going to be wider than whay you're used to. I have a Seagull S6+ Folk and like it alot. The nut width on Seagulls is 1 3/4", most other guitars it's 1 11'16". There's a difference. I'd suggest something in the 000/Folk to Grand Auditorium size, solid top. Lots of good instruments in that price range.

• Members

You could also check out the Alvarez Regent and artist series. Great guitars out there for less than 500 $ . Their playability is pretty nice. I currently have a RD20SC for 450 $ can ( so about 350 $ us) and Im really satisfied.

• Members

My Takamine EGS-430SC is a mini jumbo type guitar. Playing electric with thin necks and playing a Seagull with wide necks will be quite a jump.The Tak is pretty easy guitar to handle,sounds like a dream,has a great feel too.Seagulls are really nice guitars and you would be happy with one too,once you get used to the wider neck.I was looking for Seagulls when I found the Takamine,but this is only my opinion.

• Members

I would also suggest an Alvarez. They are also great when you want bang for your buck. The RD8 is always good, as well as an AD60K (my favorite cheapo). I love the koa sound of this guitar.

• Members

I down an RD8C Cost about 300 with a hard case. the tone is just amazing (If you're into a brite sound). The drawback is the EQ thing is impossible to work with. If you need to change battaries, you have to putyour hand inside the hole in the front and work with it. Other than that i love it. It's a guitar that hasnt grown old on me. I personally like it much more than any Martins i have ever played. I know that sounds crazy but i love its tone

• Members

if possible get someone who is experienced with acoustic guitars to go with you to a well-stocked guitar store and help you choose one. Find one that feels good in your hands, is comfortable to play, sounds good to you, and your "expert" advisor gives a thumbs up. You can pretty much ignore the names on the headstocks. There are a dozen or more companies today making very nice guitars in any price range.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I have just purchased a Yamaha FG730s and I'm more than satisfied with the guitar. I went through quite a while searching for the best acoustic to suit , my budget which was $1000 (approx $800US although relatively Australia is more expensive). I had looked at Maton (Aus), Cole Clark(Aus), Washburn, Ibanez Artwood, Tanglewood and of course Yamaha. If you prefer a fatter bottom-end Yamaha is very good for those tones. Some may say their FG series lack the treble or mid-range in the higher notes but then again other brands lack the bottom ebd. You need to sort out what tones and styles you like.

The FG730s is a great guitar, especially as it has rosewood sides and back which gives it a warmer tone that other woods. The other alternative which if youre not in Australia is to go secondhand. On Ebay there were some great secondhand L series Yamaha's. I played a L and theyre awesome. I would go for the ones made prior to 2005 as they were handmade in Japan and feature Engelman spruce and solid sides and backs. The newer L's are cheaper but made in Taiwan and have laminated sides and backs.

I hated the Ibanez acoustics, Washburn was ok but like I said if you prefer bassier fatter chords go for Yamaha. I would say the 730 is much better sounding than their entry level 700 and Nato 720.

Hope it helps.

Archived