Alvarez VS. Larrivee VS. Seagull

SilleeSpyder

• Members

Larrivee all the way. For all solid-wood construction (using real mahogany and not some other simlar wood with a strange African name) you can't beat them in the under $1000 range new, $500 range used. The other two are nice and generally are not as expensive as most Larrivees but they use laminated back/sides which Larrivees don't.

Now if money were an issue and I needed a guitar right now, I'd probably look at the Seagull first. I've tried Alvarez Artist guitars in the $500 range but they didn't speak to me. FWIW they appeal to me more than Takamines but I actually think Washburns in that price range were a little nicer.

• Members

Hard to answer since you are talking about a different buck. Seagulls are in the $300-$400 range. Larrivee are in the $600-$800 range on the low end. Comparing the two would not be fair. That said, I have one of each, and like my Seagull better, though it is generally thought that the Larrivee is a better guitar (just a preference thing, nothing to do with quality).

• Members

Originally posted by inspector13

Larrivee all the way. Have a OM-03 Blackwood...love it. Best guitar I have ever owned.
:thu:

You're lucky to have one of those. I love Larrivee's and I love tazmanian blackwood, so I gotta' imagine that's a heck of a guitar. I'll have one someday, probably a dread, since I have a GA Taylor blackwood.

• Members

As noted before, this comparison is a bit unfair. Larrivee is the easy answer here, but even getting a new '03 series will run you around $650 or more at least. That's two to three times more than you'll pay for a new 'Gull or Alvarez. A more fair comparison would put the '03 Larry's against Tacoma (my DM-18 ran about $650 new) and Martin's 15 Series (again, about $650 or so).

Between Seagull and Alvarez, I'd lean to Seagull. Better overall build quality (by a long shot, imo) and I like a wider neck. However, if you find a good Alvarez, they're worth it (I really regret not buying an RD8M...that was one amazing guitar, and quite a bargain), too.

Archived