strings for yamaha apx

rodinei

• Members

Is your guitar model a APX-5NA? If it is,it's a classical model and you do not want to put steel strings on a classical,nylon strings only. I have a APX-5NA which is a classical a/e with cutaway. If you don't have a classical,I apoligize for I know nothing about Yamaha acoustics.If it is a dreadnaght cutaway,then either .11's or .10's will work.

BTW,welcome to H/C! :wave:

• Members

First of all,I would try to get a pro set up,truss rod adjudtment,etc. If you can get a custom set,.011-.52 would be about right. Some of these other folks can clue in on how to adjust the trussrod yourself,if you can't take it in to a luthier.

• Members

I used to have a Yamaha apx 8 A, and used Elixir 0.12 gauge on it. Played like butter. You can swap to 0.11 easily, 0.10 will sound very thin IMO.

High strings can be sign of an other issue than mere truss rod adjustment.

As for how to adjust your truss rod: go see on www.frets.com, for Franks very good description off how to do it yourself. Always be carefull, no rushing. And remember your initial setting (little mark on truss rod) to allow you to return to the initial setting if anything goes wrong.

Have fun.

Archived