Yamaha FG-180 Nippon Gakki label question

slimjw

• Members

I'm looking at picking up a Yamaha FG-180 that has a Nippon Gakki label on it and was made in Japan, but the label is a creamish color instead of the usual red. Does anyone know anything about what years are reflected by the different color labels? I haven't been able to play the guitar yet, but it looks like a pretty good deal. Does anyone have any info about this they could share?

Thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by slimjw

I'm looking at picking up a Yamaha FG-180 that has a Nippon Gakki label on it and was made in Japan, but the label is a creamish color instead of the usual red. Does anyone know anything about what years are reflected by the different color labels? I haven't been able to play the guitar yet, but it looks like a pretty good deal. Does anyone have any info about this they could share?

Thanks!

Red Label Nippon Gakki was 1969-1971 only and it was square.`72-74 was green label.`74-77 was black label,`77 was oval orange label and the first year for solid top FG`s.

Dont understand the cream label-could it have faded?

• Members

I tried to post a picture of the label in my original message but I guess it didn't come through. The label says Nippon Gakki on it, but is more of a tan color. Maybe it was green at some point?

• Members

I have an FG300...the one with the adjustable bridge...that I bought in 1977 (if my addled brain remembers correctly) that also has kind of a cream colored label. I don't know if that helps.

EBay sellers always tout the Nippon/Gakki red label. Does that imply that those years were or are considered better? I paid about $300 for my FG300 new back then and can't seem to find anything remotely comparable from a sound standpoint at double the price and more. Yamahas from that era stand up pretty well in my world.

Archived