Larrivee Serial Numbers

Queequeg

• Members
Originally posted by Queequeg

well, shucks JT- Happy Anniversary.

Thanks. It's taken me this long to realy warm up to it. OM-03R. I put a L-style pickguard on it and some fake ebony tuner buttons from Larri, had it set up by a good luthier. I think I'll keep it.

• Members

You guys are making me jealous. I'm trying my hardest not to even enter the Larrivee guitar giveaway over at Acoustic Guitar magazine dot com.

It was in last month's issue but it's still open and I had to dig around the website to find it.

Now I won't share the URL because IT'S MINE, ALL MINE I TELL YOU! KEEP YER FILTY HANDS OFF MY GEETARZ!!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :freak:

Yes, this is how low I've sunk. Abstaining from GAS is nearly as damaging to one's psyche as is abstaining from sex. :(

• Members

Originally posted by JasmineTea

So, how is it?

i ebayed this thing. the guy bought it in December. it looks like its never been played. not even pick scratches on the pickguard. (not so unusual on a 00, but most folks, self excluded, flatpick a dred)

I was getting some buzzing on the 5th & 6th strings. a quick truss adj took care of that. it's a beautiful 12-fret slotted guitar. big and loud. I'm a sucker for these 19th century style pyramid bridges. I don't know why they build them any other way. I have quite a few guitars but this is the only dreadnought.

the old-timey fiddle tunes sound great on it, but I am not unhappy with the more modern instrumentals. "balanced", I'd have to say.

it takes some power to push it though, fingerstyle. There's a lot of sitka top to be set into motion there. must be mediums on here. I'll have to restring with lights. only occasionally do i flatpick. a good buy for $1505. made in usa.

• Members

it takes some power to push it though, fingerstyle. There's a lot of sitka top to be set into motion there.

Just speculation, but I think it's the symetrical bracing pattern. I often wonder what they'd sound like if they would use a different pattern or lighten some of the braces up a little.

Mine has loosened up some since I bought it, or opened up, rather. I think it's got a ways to go though before it realy opens.

• Members

right. certainly the bracing stiffens the top, but again, it has to brace so much more top than the 0s, 00s & even 000s I'm used to.

god, I just played 'danny boy' and 'water is wide'. I've never heard them quite like this before. Still, I can't shred it like that little parlor on those fast and delicate spanish fandango pieces. it just won't go that fast without a major train wreck.

I'm having fun.

• Members

As I said, I recently acquired a Larrivee SD-60.

they show on their webpage nut width : 1 & 11/16.

I also have a Larrivee Parlor. Interestingly this is represented as 1 & 3/4.

When the SD arrived it felt significantly wider than any other guitar I have and in particular, wider than the parlor.

When I put the calipers to the two guitars, what I discovered was that on the Larrivee SD-60 they were measuring the width from the 1st string to the 6th string at the nut; while on the Larrivee Parlor, they measured the width of the neck at the nut. Same manufacturer. Only explanation I can come up with is the parlor was made in Canada and the SD was made in USA. I like their guitars but there are some telltale inconsistencies of a "newer" company, such as their serial numbering. There's no chart, by the way that you can look up to see when your Larrivee was built. You contact Customer Service, who are very helpful, I should add, and they will give you the month & year in which your guitar's construction was begun; not finished.

• Members

Originally posted by JasmineTea

What say we start a "OM-03R For Kwak" fund. I'll toss in $50. No {censored}. 16 more guys with $50 and we'll have it.

Kwak, you're a pretty good player - serious. Besides, that Tak's bridge is gonna take out your kid one of these days. I'm in.

• Members

As I said, I recently acquired a Larrivee SD-60.

they show on their webpage nut width : 1 & 11/16.

I also have a Larrivee Parlor. Interestingly this is represented as 1 & 3/4.

When the SD arrived it felt significantly wider than any other guitar I have and in particular, wider than the parlor.

When I put the calipers to the two guitars, what I discovered was that on the Larrivee SD-60 they were measuring the width from the 1st string to the 6th string at the nut; while on the Larrivee Parlor, they measured the width of the neck at the nut. Same manufacturer. Only explanation I can come up with is the parlor was made in Canada and the SD was made in USA. I like their guitars but there are some telltale inconsistencies of a "newer" company, such as their serial numbering. There's no chart, by the way that you can look up to see when your Larrivee was built. You contact Customer Service, who are very helpful, I should add, and they will give you the month & year in which your guitar's construction was begun; not finished.

those SDs have 1 13/16th nut widths...

Archived