Gibson J-45 vs. Advanced Jumbo

emuhunter

• Members

Hi guys (and gals). I'm looking for a nice all around guitar (I mainly strum chords, but I also mess around with finger-picking, flat-picking and whatnot on occasion. I'm into indie, alt-country, and classic rock mainly, as well). I recently have played a Gibson J-45, and I loved it. I was looking online (since where I live everything is $$$ more than what I can get at musiciansfriend.com for example, and the selection leaves a lot to be desired). I couldn't find too much through googling, apart from the fact that they're about the same price roughly speaking, and the advanced jumbo is a reissue of a limited edition guitar that came out in 1936 I think. My question is, using a Gibson J-45 as a reference, how does the Advanced Jumbo sound? I know the best way to answer this question is to play it in person, but I can't find one...

Thanks for your help!

• Members

I have a J-45. I love everything about it. It is a shorter scale guitar. You should go to the Gibson site read and compare them. I played both guitars side by side. I chose the J-45. It just moved me in way the others didn't. I highly recommend the J-45.

Check out HC product reviews. That might help.

• Members

Thank you thirdstone. How would you describe the tone of the A.J. compared to the J-45 (I know, that's a REALLY subjective question... I'm hoping for things like "it sounds louder/brighter/etc" nothing particuarly scientific or quantifiable)?

Also, how is the J-45 plugged in? I didn't get a chance to do that when I was playing it at my local store (and now it's gone...), and was just curious.

Thank you for putting up with my completely arbitrary questions.

• Members

The J-45 has a deep, warm, woody tone with good bass.

To me at least, the AJ was brighter with a little less bass. Both guitars projected well and felt good. The AJ is made of rosewood, the J-45 is made of mahogany. The J-45 has a shorter scale neck which I find more comfortable to play.

In the end, you have to play them both and decide.

Either way, you really can't go wrong. I'm biased. I love Gibson guitars.

• Members

The guitars looks similar but they sound pretty different. I think a J45 sounds more sweet and warm. The Advanced Jumbo is brighter, projects more, a little harder to fret because of the longer scale, and it has the metallic clink in the treble because of the rosewood body. The bass is also less 'round' and warm sounding. I think the AJ sounds ok, but I really don't like it compared to a J45. It's just brighter and more sharp sounding -- which is fine if you like that. If you like the J45's sound (and there's a lot to like .. :thu: ) then I would stay away from the AJ. It's louder and more piercing sound is fine but I doubt you would prefer it if you really like the J45 sound.

• Members

Thanks for all the help... It really sucks being around here because, while there are one or two really great acoustic guitar shops, they don't carry a big variety of Gibsons (although they're really good about Taylors and Martins). I really love the warmth of the J-45 so I guess that rules out the Advanced Jumbo (although next time I'm in LA or SF I'll go find one and play it before I totally rule it out).

Haha, just to sort of twist this on a little further, what do you guys think about Doves and Hummingbirds? A dove costs too much for me at this point, but a hummingbird is about the top of my range.

So I guess what I'm asking is, how about J-45 vs. Hummingbird? Just to leave no stone unturned...

• Members

All these people saying the J45 is deeper and warmer and the AJ is brighter... I have to say my experiences have been the opposite. To me the AJ is deeper and warmer with the rosewood and the J45 is more of a midrange tone, and records well with the mahogany. Every time I've had the chance to play them side by side I go away thinking the AJ is the better, fuller sounding guitar between the two. Historically the AJ has been considered one of the best sounding Gibson acoustics ever. I like both the j45 and AJ for different reasons. But again I think the AJ has the fuller tone.

• Members

I've encountered this same situation. When you demo the guitars, make sure you have them put fresh strings on them. My advanced jumbo can sound vastly different with different types of strings as well. I've never been accoused of being anemic in the bass or volume though.

• Members

i'm not an AJ owner, but if i were buying another gibson, it'd most likely be an AJ... for me though, its a matter of needs... i love the J45... alot of you guys have heard me say that i'd love an old beat up j45... but tonally, the J45 kind of overlaps between my hummingbird (hog dread) and my Larrivee (all-hog L)... so for me, the AJ is an awesome change of pace. I love the power, and i like the longer scale for the style of music i play.

• Members

If you are talking about new current production Gibsons I think the AJ is Gibson's best sounding and playing flattop guitar. The AJ has good volume, not to bright and still warm and very articulate. The current J-45's can sound weak and quacky but other's can sound nice, round and warm. A have not played a bad AJ yet but have played several bad J-45 but some good ones also. If going to get a J-45 then I would try quite a few before buying.

If you are going to get a Gibson flattop I think a sloped shoulder one is the way to go as opposed to the square shouldered Hummingbirds and Doves.

• Members

The AJ is a great guitar, a bit like a Martin D-28 on steroids. The J45 is a more restrained, polite guitar in its delivery with more of a 'thunk' than a 'ring' to its tone.

They're both very nice guitars and each is a classic in its own way. You'll find more sustain in the AJ due both to the longer scale and the harmonics which rosewood seems to accentuate. The J45 is more focused in the midrange, has a faster decay to picked notes and is probably the better balanced, overall, of the two.

I'd be proud to own either.

Gibson J185

Gibson SJ200

Bourgeois Slope D

Martin D-28

• Members

Originally posted by emuhunter

does anyone know where I can find an MP3 of either, or better yet both, these great guitars? just to get me in the ballpark...

honestly... that wouldn't do you a ton of good unless they were meticlously recorded to eliminate variables. i've heard it done with some martins, but never the two gibsons you like.

• 8 years later...
  • Members
All these people saying the J45 is deeper and warmer and the AJ is brighter... I have to say my experiences have been the opposite. To me the AJ is deeper and warmer with the rosewood and the J45 is more of a midrange tone' date=' and records well with the mahogany. Every time I've had the chance to play them side by side I go away thinking the AJ is the better, fuller sounding guitar between the two. Historically the AJ has been considered one of the best sounding Gibson acoustics ever. I like both the j45 and AJ for different reasons. But again I think the AJ has the fuller tone.[/quote']

I 100% agree with this post. As I was reading the first few posts in this thread, I was thinking to myself "Am I in opposite land?". I'm obviously biased because my AJ is my primary player, but the AJ is my favorite acoustic guitar (period). I love it because of the deep bass, that's the main reason I fell in love with it. The J-45 is more balanced to my ears but I prefer the bass-heavy tone of the AJ.

I'm almost wondering if some are confusing the AJ to the SJ 200. Now THAT comparison - the J-45 being fuller than an SJ - makes a lot more sense to me. I never liked the tone of the SJ-200, which is also a jumbo.

• Members
If you are talking about new current production Gibsons I think the AJ is Gibson's best sounding and playing flattop guitar. The AJ has good volume' date=' not to bright and still warm and very articulate. The current J-45's can sound weak and quacky but other's can sound nice, round and warm. A have not played a bad AJ yet but have played several bad J-45 but some good ones also. If going to get a J-45 then I would try quite a few before buying.

If you are going to get a Gibson flattop I think a sloped shoulder one is the way to go as opposed to the square shouldered Hummingbirds and Doves.[/quote']This is another post that jives with my experiences. Anytime I see an AJ, I play it and I have yet to play a bad one. It's one of the most consistent dreads on the market, maybe the most consistent. I've played D-28s I don't like as well as several other models, yet I've never been let down by an AJ.

• Members

The AJ is more of a bluegrass guitar. Has a Martin dreadnaught vibe to the sound and feel. Big bass, sweet treble, loud.

The J45 is more typical Gibson sounding. More middy, warmer, more compressed when strummed hard, not as loud.

For Bluegrass flatpicking and rhythm, I'd pick the AJ. For the bass, cutting power, and volume to be heard properly in a purely acoustic bluegrass band and not get drowned out by the banjo and mandolin.

For just about everything else, I'd prefer a J45.

• Members
Holy zombie thread Batman... As the OP here I just wanted to say thanks, and point out that I asked the question almost 9 years ago :)

Oh, as a side note, I ended up going with the J-45 rather than the Advanced Jumbo.

Ha! I did realize the thread was from 2006 but as a new poster, I did a search for the AJ and had to respond! Curious, when was the last time you checked out an AJ?

• Members

It's actually been awhile since I've played an AJ. I'm intrigued however at trying one out... My nice acoustics are both mahogany so rosewood seems like a good move to make.

Interesting story: I ended up trading my J-45 (a 2003) towards a 2013 Hummingbird TV. I don't currently own a slope shoulder but I think I should, especially from an aesthetic perspective. I've come full circle: J-45 vs Advanced Jumbo.

Archived