'73 Alvarez 5052

symphonix3

• Members

Just came across this guitar on Craigslist. It's a jumbo modeled after the Gibson J-200. Original owner is selling it so you know it's been sitting in a case for years. Wants $500. Anybody know anything about this guitar?

I'm not up on the 5052 but I have an Alvarez (Yairi) 5065 I bought new in the mid-1970s and it was marketed as their Martin D28. Made in Japan. Spriuce top with rosewood sides & back. Sounded and sounds just great. I probably paid 500.00 for it then.

If the 5052 has the Yairi name on the label inside the soundhole it's supoposedly their better line than w/out.

• Members

I remember having GAS over an Alvarez Dove copy back about the time that guitar was new. I doubt it's a Yairi, just a hunch. If it's not, it probably sold for about $150 new, which is about what that Dove copy was selling for. Use your own judgment.

• Members

Here is a alvarez 5037 I just got off ebay. I havent got it yet I was looking for a 12 string and I just fell in love with its shape they called it a eruopean mini jumbo never heard that term before. on the label inside the hole it says artist series anyone know anything about this gem?

5037.jpg

Archived