Hemp oil for cleaning fret boards? Is this a good idea?

mgcasella

• Members

I use gun stock oil, available at any sporting goods store, but not often. I've used it once each on my 33-year-old Sakura 12-string, my 5-year-old Alvarez beater, and our daughter's probably-25-year-old Epi, with good results each time.

• Members

Stephen Stills is said to eat fried chicken just prior to changing his bass strings...he likes 'em greasy-dead, so he doesn't wipe his fingers off!
:)

Jesus, he must change his bass strings every week - have you seen how big he is these days? :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I use gun stock oil, available at any sporting goods store, but not often. I've used it once each on my 33-year-old Sakura 12-string, my 5-year-old Alvarez beater, and our daughter's probably-25-year-old Epi, with good results each time.

Gun stock oil is linseed oil which is simular to hemp oil. It just doesn't smoke as well. :)

• Members

Gun stock oil is linseed oil which is simular to hemp oil. It just doesn't smoke as well.
:)

Mostly right. I use Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil. I've had the same 3 ounce bottle for years. The label says "Tru-Oil Gun Stock Finish is the professional's choice for gunstock finishing. Its unique blend of linseed and natural oils dries fast and will not cloud, yellow, or crack with age. . . ." and elsewhere, "Contains petroleum distillates. . . ." So it's not just pure linseed oil.

• Members

Mostly right. I use Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil. I've had the same 3 ounce bottle for years. The label says "Tru-Oil Gun Stock Finish is the professional's choice for gunstock finishing. Its unique blend of linseed and natural oils dries fast and will not cloud, yellow, or crack with age. . . ." and elsewhere, "Contains petroleum distillates. . . ." So it's not just pure linseed oil.

I've used "Tru-Oil" on gun stocks but have never considered it for fretboards. I've also used linseed oil on gunstocks so I know they are different. Still makes for good hemp smoking humor. I do have concerns about using a finishing oil on fretboards rather than a cleaning and moisurizing oil like lemon oil. Of course it may make it more like a finished fretboard as the maple fretboard on a Strat. You have me curious. I may have to experiment on a beater. Did you say this is a one time treatment for the life of the guitar?:wave:

• Members

I've used hemp oil for over 10 years on guitars. Works fine and smells like a hippie festival. The hemp oil (in the bottle) will go rancid after some time, being a vegetable based oil, so find other uses for it in the meantime. It works great for backrubs.

• Members

I've used "Tru-Oil" on gun stocks but have never considered it for fretboards. I've also used linseed oil on gunstocks so I know they are different. Still makes for good hemp smoking humor. I do have concerns about using a finishing oil on fretboards rather than a cleaning and moisurizing oil like lemon oil. Of course it may make it more like a finished fretboard as the maple fretboard on a Strat. You have me curious. I may have to experiment on a beater.
Did you say this is a one time treatment for the life of the guitar?
:wave:

More than likely, it'll want to be oiled more and more often...and it'll want you to buy a lot of twinkies, too! :p

• Members

More than likely, it'll want to be oiled more and more often...and it'll want you to buy a lot of twinkies, too!
:p

A large twinkie habit can be expensive over time. :) May need to stay with the lemon oil.:idea:

Archived