Planet Waves Humidipak

athomas

• Members

Hey

I recently got the planet waves Humidipak after I heard and read all the raves about it. They are thes packs that you leave in the guitar case and it will automatically keep the guitar at 45 relative humidity.

Well i put two of them as instrcuted - one in the soundhole over the strings and one by the headstock. I also left a planet waves hygrometer. After about a day or so the temprature was at 70 and the relative huimidity at 36?

Anyone else try use this humidipak?

• Members

There was a post a while back about these but I can't find the thread. Basically,if the humidity is low enough for long enough, the 'pak will dry out just like a sponge and lose its effectiveness. In your case (pun unintended), the humidity was probably not that high to begin with so the 'pak has no stored humidity to release. Personally, I use a John Pearse branded DampIt snake that seems to work adequately but I also "recharge" it every few days when the humidity is low.

• Members

I like the idea of the product, but the humidity packs are supposed to last

from two to six months before they need replacing, and look like they are

going cost about $7 each. This could potentially be an expensive system to

maintain.

• Members

In your case (pun unintended), the humidity was probably not that high to begin with so the 'pak has no stored humidity to release.

Humidipak's are ready to go right off the shelf, no need to have it in a humid environment to store humidity so it can release. It comes with 3-6 months of a liquid saline gel in there already, also, FYI most hygrometer's on the market (planet waves, radio shack one also) are +/- 10% in accuracy, which is unfortunate but those are the specs. I went to a taylor roadshow event and taylor is crazy about humidipak's, the tech told me it's going to have a feature article in the next wood and steel and they no longer recommend dampit's.

• Members

I went to a taylor roadshow event and taylor is crazy about humidipak's, the tech told me it's going to have a feature article in the next wood and steel and they no longer recommend dampit's.

Taylor is crazy about Dampit's, so now he prefers PW Humidipaks over the dampit? I find the Humidipak more expensive to use because you can't reuse the packs.

• Members

Humidipak's are ready to go right off the shelf, no need to have it in a humid environment to store humidity so it can release. It comes with 3-6 months of a liquid saline gel in there already, . . .

Thanks for the clarification. It's possible I was thinking of something else. As I said, I couldn't find the original post. Still 'way too expensive since it's not reusable, IMHO. Of course, if you can afford a Taylor you can probably afford to throw away humidifiers. I can't afford either. :(

Archived