Want to start playing mandolin

willpshack

• Members

I am anything but an expert on mandos - I built mine a year ago and still haven't really learned much on it. They range dramatically in price, largely because of the construction involved. Have you settled on a type of music and/or shape of mando you want? ("A" style, "F", etc). Most bluegrass mandolin will be played on the classic F5 shape which tend to be the expensive ones, but a friend has a nice little Horner F5 that I think was pretty reasonable.

It is also a reasonable project if you are at all handy - the StewMac campfire mando kit is only $150 and I think Grizzly has one for even less.

• Members

Not sure what kit is available where you live, but I've had good dealings with this place:

http://www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk/

They sell stuff from many smaller, low-volume builders; the sort of guys who work from workshops rather than factories. They give useful descriptions which will help you match an instrument to your needs, rather than the standard marketing junk that most places have. Guy who runs it seems like a nice person too.

However, they also sell from some factories too. I got an A-style mandolin manufactured in China by "Kentucky" for a relative and it's really nice. They'll get the hand-made mando next year if they keep playing the thing :)

The good news is that most of the principles with which one can select a good acoustic guitar also apply in the selection of a good mandolin. Similar factors apply with the materials, designs, and construction methods.

Sadly, my fingers are just too large and clumsy for the mandolin :(

• Members

Terrible picture but here is the one I built (and no, it is not red inside - weird effect from the flash)

That's a really nice piece of work there. Very pretty.

I wish I had the aptitude and patience to create in this manner. However, nature decided that it had other uses for me and hence I can only admire the work of others.

• Members

I would say from my experience that "A" mandolins are a safer bet than "F" mandolins if you want the best bang for your buck. I have an "F" mandolin that I paid rather a lot for ($600) and it's not that good. I would have been happier with a simpler body style but a better instrument.

• Members

Best bang/buck ratio is Big Muddy (formerly Mid-Missouri). They aren't the prettiest mandos, but they're solid-wood, American-made instruments that sound great.

F-style mandos are generally far more expensive than A-style, and the scroll and points contribute nothing to the tone. They do look pretty, though.

• Members

By the way...why are mandolin necks so narrow? Seems to me you could make your own and widen the neck a bit to make it easier to play. I have enough problems on a 1-11/16" guitar neck without narrowing things down even more than that!

It has been done, but lots of pretty big guys seem to do OK with the standard necks. Being a double coursed instrument you fret two strings at once and the very short scale means the one finger spans two frets. Tuned like a violin it is a natural for someone you plays the fiddle.

One of the hardest things for me was getting used to the way you wear the strap (and it is almost impossible to hold without one).

A mando is a great "travel guitar" - you can carry it on an airplane and it is quiet enough to play in your hotel room at night.

• Members

Eastman mandolins are by far the best value these days. They're not the cheapest, but considering the quality you get, they are well worth the price. This is my opinion of course, but it is shared by many.

Agree that Eastman is the best import going nowadays. Beats Kentucky, Morgan Monroe, etc in the same price ranges handsdown.

Check out this guy

giannaviolins.com

For something really on a budget, try several of the simplist A model w/solid top Kentuckys. Every now and again a jewel turns up with a sound 3 to 4x the price.

• Members

Best bang/buck ratio is
Big Muddy
(formerly Mid-Missouri). They aren't the prettiest mandos, but they're solid-wood, American-made instruments that sound great.

F-style mandos are generally far more expensive than A-style, and the scroll and points contribute nothing to the tone. They do look pretty, though.

That's seems like a really good tip. :thu:

• Members

I bought one of the $50 Rogues from Musicians Friend. As a guitar player maybe I don't know better but I think it's pretty decent and gets a lot of favorable mentions in the reviews at Musicians Friend.

I would buy that one, poke around on it. If you like the mandolin buy a better one and use the Rogue for kindling.

• Members

I'm not sure about the sound box size making a difference or not and I don't know how close in size they actually are, they certainly look to be about the same volume. There may be some tonal changes in the design but I think the main difference is in the holes. When I step up in quality I'll be looking for an A body with f holes.