Wide neck steel string?

kalmanjordan

• Members

Hi, i'm interested in buying a steel string acoustic for live work. I currently play a nylon Santos Martinez SM650CEA, which is great for soft finger-picking and latin flavoured pieces, but would like to have a different sound for the more pop/rock tunes we do. 'We' being a duo with another steel string acoustic guitar. My problem is i'm use to playing a classical neck so when i pick up the other guitarist guitar it feels a bit like a banjo!

I'm looking for an steel string acoustic with a wide neck, doesn't have to be classical size(52mm) but needs to be wider than average. Price range

• Members

You can order any Taylor for instance, with a 1 7/8th nut width, which if you factor in the smaller diameter of steel strings, feels a lot like a classical in terms of left hand string spacing. But the bigger issues is the string spacing at the bridge. Again, with a Taylor for instance (maybe the 300's at that price), the bridge spacing in usually 2 and 2/8th, but you

• Members

My Epi Masterbilt EF-500R is wider than average at 1 3/4". Great guitars in the Masterbilt line. I think most of the Masterbilts not in the EF series are 1.68". But there's one classical one (EN something-or-other) and a twelve-fret dread (AJ something-or-other) and they are 46mm and 1 3/4" respectively.

Ellen

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Check out this steel string guitar: Takamine EAN30C

http://www.takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=128&sid=62

Even looks a bit like a classical guitar. Wide neck and string spacing (1 7/8").

I checked it out a month ago ... it has a clear/open sound, built in tuner and pick-up system. $900 price point.

Also great for guitar players with big fingers.

Cheers!

• Members

Larrivee SD50 (mahogany body) or an SD60 (rosewood body)

both have 1 7/8" nuts.

57GT:)

If you can find one of these in your price range, buy it.

Good luck. They usually run several hundred more, even used. I sold my SD-60 last year for 1600 (no electronics). Great guitar.

• Members

Many Seagull guitars comes with fretboards that are 1.8" wide at the nut.

+1

But the 'Gulls will be cheaper. In the price range we're talking about, you can find quite a few good guitars with 1.75" nut widths. Might be able to find a Larrivee OM-03 or L-03 that could fit the bill, or a Martin OM-15 or something.

Archived