Yamaha FG-340 vs FG-340II

dgreenb1

• Members

First of all, Welcome to the forum! Tell us a little about yourself. Where you are, what you play, etc.

The FG-340 has a 3 piece back with the center piece Black. The truss rod adjuster is in the headstock.

The FG340II has a 3 piece back with the center piece varying shades of the same basic color as the outer pieces. The truss rod adjuster is in the soundhole.

Both have fully bound bodies, necks and headstocks.

Both are laminate spruce tops and laminate mahogany backs and sides.

Beware of the later issue (What was Yamaha thinking?) that doesn't have any of the distinctive features.

• Members

I'm a 65 yo dentist in Fort Myers, Florida and I'm taking lessons on an Alhambra 8P. The lessons are mixed between classical and bluegrass/folk/country the latter of which have caused my interest in a Yamaha. I was hoping to get a pretty good guitar for a reasonable amount of money. I realize buying an older guitar can be tricky but I think a good Yamaha would be worth the effort. When you say beware of the later issue, are you referring to the FG-340II or the F340? Do you have any opinions on which of the two FG-340s might be better. By the way thanks for taking the time to respond.

Cheers,

DG

• Members

You are welcome.

The reissue came about 10 years later. It looks nothing like the FG-340 or FG-340II. It was called just "FG-340" - no "II" - and I cannot fathom why Yamaha would sully such a great guitar with this awful re-issue. You will see these on ebay now and then. If you look for an FG-340 or FG-340 II they both have fully bound body, neck and headstock. Both have 3 piece backs. You should like either one as they are both highly regarded - I believe that aside from any variations in tone that might exist between any two guitars of the same basic design, the main difference between the 340 and 340 II will be cosmetic (dark center piece on the back vs lighter shade of 3 piece) and the location of the truss rod adjuster..

I bought two FG-340s. The first, which is now my favorite guitar, was previously owned by a Bluegrass musician in Maine, was in rough shape when I bought it (but it was honestly described in the listing.) I had to have 8 frets replaced, new nut and saddle made, extensive buffing on the finish, had to work on the truss rod to free it up. It plays and sounds like a dream to me. The second one I bought was described as being in great shape. It needed a few new frets, new nut and saddle. It had a bellied top, the bridge had been planed down and the finish on the neck was clouded from moisture - it was a wreck. After being worked on, it still didn't sound right. I traded it in on my Parkwood (with a typed description of every single issue and repair.)

So the moral is, be sure to check out the guitar thoroughly. If the top is flat, the neck is straight and the neck angle is good and it plays and sounds good, then go for it. But if you are buying over the internet, be very careful.

FWIW - I have brass bridge pins in my FG-340 and I like the way they sound.

Please do let us know what you decide to do.

P.S. Here is a pick of the back of my FG-340 (right) and the back of my FG-365S (left) The back of the FG-340II will look like the FG-365S but with a much smaller strip between the sections.

IM000174.jpg' alt='>'>

Here is a front view:

IM000117.jpg' alt='>'>

and finally a side view to show the binding:

IM000157.jpg

Archived