SX Resonator guitar???

stormin1155

• Members

The fan designed cover plate is almost always a spider bridge. Spiders tend to have the sweet singing note that we associate with bluegrass dobro, altho the version of Roll'n'Tumble that I did on the Annex is a 70 year old spider 'bro. Biscuits tend to be nasty sounding critters that work for Delta blues and scaring the cat.

You are right about the three cone designs - spiders are almost alway wood bodied and can be either square or round necks, biscuits can be either wood or metal (most often metal) and are alway roundies, tricones are alway metal and can be round or square. Neck can be 14 fret clear (better for fretted play in my opinion) or 12 (better for slide) - but either kind of play can be done on either. Squarenecks are always played lapstyle, but a roundie can be setup for lap. Spiders and squarenecks are a bit stronger and can withstand tunings like "dobro G" better than a biscuit.

I actually have a little introductory thing I wrote up a few years ago about resonators - if you would like a copy PM me your e-mail addy.

Warning - these things are not for the timid and are very addictive

• Members

Spiders tend to have the sweet singing note that we associate with bluegrass dobro, altho the version of Roll'n'Tumble that I did on the Annex is a 70 year old spider 'bro.

Warning - these things are not for the timid and are very addictive

I love the tone you have on teh Roll'n'Tumble. Nice!

• Members

I love the tone you have on teh Roll'n'Tumble. Nice!

Thanks, that is an incredible old guitar with a pretty wonderful story behind it. The daughter of the original owner brought it almost literally in a basket to a local music store - it had been painted black, the cone and cover were crushed, pretty sorry shape. She said her father had bought it when she was born in 1932 (being a model 27 that is what he would have payed in dollars). I felt sorry for it (and her), gave her $200 for it and figured "what the heck..."

Stripped and redid a very mild burst (which is what she described, mostly they would have been darker), built a jig to straighten the cover, put a new Quarterman in it and took it back to show her. I played for her - I think it was Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground - didn't play very well but it was from the heart. She wept.

I'll include a pic with the writeup - I see you sent a PM

• Members

Thanks, that is an incredible old guitar with a pretty wonderful story behind it. The daughter of the original owner brought it almost literally in a basket to a local music store - it had been painted black, the cone and cover were crushed, pretty sorry shape. She said her father had bought it when she was born in 1932 (being a model 27 that is what he would have payed in dollars). I felt sorry for it (and her), gave her $200 for it and figured "what the heck..."

Stripped and redid a very mild burst (which is what she described, mostly they would have been darker), built a jig to straighten the cover, put a new Quarterman in it and took it back to show her. I played for her - I think it was Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground - didn't play very well but it was from the heart. She wept.

I'll include a pic with the writeup - I see you sent a PM

That's a great story. Priceless...

• Members

I'm looking for a cheap resonator. Rondo music sells a SX brand one for $159 that looks pretty nice.

Haven't played an SX but I ordered one of these Rogue Spiders last summer:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rogue-Classic-Spider-Resonator?sku=519190

At $179 it'll be around the same price as the SX when you figure in free shipping.

I have the sunburst roundneck . Really well made and great sounding instrument for the money.

MF is also currently offering the Rogue Triolian Biscuit Res for the same price.

• Members

Haven't played an SX but I ordered one of these Rogue Spiders last summer:

At $179 it'll be around the same price as the SX when you figure in free shipping.

I have the sunburst roundneck . Really well made and great sounding instrument for the money.

MF is also currently offering the Rogue Triolian Biscuit Res for the same price.

Thanks for the information!

• Members

I have the Rogue sq neck too. The only trouble I had was the screen falling out of the little soundhole. It is amazing for the price. Wish I could play it better
:)

I also have a $2500 OMI Josh Graves signature Dobro. It's a spider squareneck, as well. And guess what? Ever since the day I brought it home new, one of the two little screens has been loose and keeps falling out. :)

• Members

SX electric are better than the acoustics or similar instruments. There are two reasons for this:

1. Electric guitar are just simply superior instruments.

2. Electrics have a simpler style of build, its easier to make a good electric that a good acoustic.

troll.jpg

See the troll.

See the happy little troll.

His happiness is quite surprising, considering his lack of a ......

Archived