Madeira by Guild

IbanezDtryr

• Members

Hello Everyone!

I've got an old Maderia by Guild A-12 12 string acoustic. I was wondering if anyone new anything about these guitars. It has an adjustable bridge (which I have never seen before), a zero fret, and plays/sounds pretty decent.

Just wondering if anyone has any info on these (country of mfg., woods, etc.). I've attached some pics.

Thanks!

• Members

Zero fret! :love:

Blue Book of Acoustic Gtrs says that they were build in Japan during the early 70s to late 80s. It also says that they were imported to the US between '73 and '74 to augment Guild sales.

Average condition goes for $75-100. Excellent condition, $150-200.

There were some solid body electrics as well. But that's for another forum. :p

• Members

Let the good folks over at - http://www.letstalkguild.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=5 - help you out. They're very knowledable and Guild guru Hans Moust will give you history/specs. Stack's price range in right one sometime they sale for a bit more on evilBay, many have a soft spot for Maderia's. I like them too ....... nice 12 string you've got there.

Trina

• Members

If you like the guitar, you might want to consider losing the adj bridge...it doesn't help much...I swithed one out with a nice piece of bone...I could really tell the difference....a cheap way to really add some punch to that guitar....

ps...good time to have a nice set up done too while you're at it.

• Members

If you like the guitar, you might want to consider losing the adj bridge...it doesn't help much...I swithed one out with a nice piece of bone...I could really tell the difference....a cheap way to really add some punch to that guitar....

Thanks for the suggestion, C70man. I think I am going to leave it as is. I bought it for $20 at a yard sale about 15 years ago. I just pulled it out of storage, cleaned it up, and restrung it and it's sounding pretty sweet as is. Haven't played it in about 4 years. I could see how the bone saddle would improve the tone, though. I really don't want to spend any money on it.

I just wanted to really know the country of manufacture and year. It seems to me like the Japanese made some pretty decent gear in the '70s. I also own some Japanese Ibanez electrics from 1979-80 that I love.

:thu:

• Members

X100000...it'll make a HUGE improvement in the tone for a very small price! :thu:

• Members

I have owned a Maderia A-30R for 32 years now. So has my older brother (his is a blond). Both guitars are in very good condition. To be honest, mine doesn't get played too often. The 2nd and 3rd frets are worn at the G/B/E strings and I've been too lazy to get it repaired.

I replaced the tuners in the late 80's and filed the nut about the same time.

I always liked that guitar. It is a very bright guitar (metal adjustable bridge), and do to its age, has really nice tone.

Both guitars were a gift from my mother. My brother Dan and I were sharing a broken guitar that was borrowed from a cousin. Mom brought them home as a surprise. I think my Mom payed about $150 each for them. It's probably the best gift I ever received, and certainly my oldest possession. Those guitars have traveled many a place and mean a lot to Dan and I. Mine is proudly displayed as it has alway been since the day I got it; in my bedroom.

I think it's time to get those frets repaired...

Archived