Zager Guitars - Awesome?? or Overrated??

Buck62

• Members

I see a lot of spam here for these Zager guitars and how great they are.

But in every several acoustic guitar forums I visit (very reputable ones) they say that Zagers are kinda junky or of marginal quality, sometimes having poor fretwork, so-so tone, etc, etc.

Is it possible that the other opinions are wrong?... or dead on correct?

From their website, they look pretty decent to me. But I have no personal experience with them, other than what I've read, which seems to be... well, not very enthusiastic, to say the least. Yet, at this place, I see folks who swear by them.

Admittedly, I don't hang in this forum as often as most of you, so maybe I'm missing a big joke here.

Anyway, here's your chance to sound off on these guitars. Your opinion will be just as valuable as the overt spammers that have plagued this forum.

So, here we go... let's put this to rest!

Zager guitars, yay?... or nay?

Inquiring minds want to know!

(poll to follow)

(Edit: I'm going to be buying a new dreadnaught with my tax return money and would consider a Zager if they're really as good as people claim.)

• Members

listen to Hudman.

he is the forum gatekeeper, judge, sheriff and bicycle.

he is always right
:thu:

I am the forum public defender, bouncer, keeper of the light and lord of the forum rings.

I give you partial credit for spelling my name right.

• Members

How about another option "I really don't give a sh!t one way or the other!!!"

This forum has turned into a childish personal pi$$ing contest.

There are more mature threads being posted at Nickelodeon.

(I'm not going to mention any names......)

How's it going over on the Nickelodeon forum?

Are you guys fighting over Zack and Cody?

• Members

Actually I don't have a clue who Zack and Cody are. You must be a regular at Nick.

I rest my case!

Like I said, there is no need to mention names.

I'm rubber, you're glue.....

You fail the test. Zack and Cody are on Disney. ;)

• Members

Out of curiosity I ordered and received a Zager 80 and at the same time I received a used Larrivee D 05. The Zager played easy and sounded clear. I played the Larrivee and it sang. For about the same money, the Larrivee was hands down the better guitar in sound and build. The Zager was sent immediately back. No questions asked I received my full money back from Zager. Zager warranty and service A+ a serviceable guitar but expensive for what is out there and a C to C+ on Value to Sound. (First purchase of a guitar in 20 years, rookie player, first post) Cheers.

• Members

Out of curiosity I ordered and received a Zager 80 and at the same time I received a used Larrivee D 05. The Zager played easy and sounded clear. I played the Larrivee and it sang. For about the same money, the Larrivee was hands down the better guitar in sound and build. The Zager was sent immediately back. No questions asked I received my full money back from Zager. Zager warranty and service A+ a serviceable guitar but expensive for what is out there and a C to C+ on Value to Sound. (First purchase of a guitar in 20 years, rookie player, first post) Cheers.

Welcome to the forum!

Congrats on the Larrivee. :thu:

• Like 1

• Members

These are at best $200.00 to $300.00 guitars with a set up.

Overpriced and Overhyped Indonesian guitars. Decent players at those prices and a blatant ripoff for $300 more. Thus..Pretty bad for $595.00 or more.

Not in the class of any of the Grand Rewards products made in China. They are not Masterbilts, Guild Gads, Washburn Timbercrafts, Recording Kings Blueridges, Aria AD series, or Johnson Carolinas.

Not in the class of the Godin family products at the lower priced level. They are no match for a S&P SP6, a Norman B-18 etc.

Not even in the same sentence as Larrivees and such.

How do I know.....I HAVE played the Sigma and the Zager Sigma side by side and the ZAD products are basically Indonesian Washburn quality. Played lots of those "SI" guitars and sold four of them. Two Sigmas and two Washburns made there.

They are not nearly as good as my Washburn WD32SW made in the same factory that is all solid wood...Solid Spruce over Solid Sapele that were sold with gig bags for $359.00- $389.00 US. I paid way less than that for one.

I HAVE played all of the above except the ZAD-50 or 80, which were not even as good as the Flinthills Washburns but are adorned in the same manner. The Flint Hills were all solid wood at least and high gloss finish Abalone trim. All carried the "SI" serial number sequences meaning Samick Indonesia. Frankly none of them are exceptional. That Factory never has made Great Guitars....just mid entry level products. They are just not able to compete with instruments in the better classes.

If you paid $500-$800 for anything built there....You got Fleeced.

Campare them Side By Side to a Grand Rewards built Guitar at the $500.00 mark or a Norman ST-68 ot S&P Showcase model at the $800.00 mark and find out.

Not all that???? Not all anything!

End Of Story.

• Members

Thanx for the post, it was most informative! :thu:

• Members

If your curious try one. Send it back if you don't like it - they pay shipping both ways. I've got a ZAD OM 80. Is it over-priced? Yes. Does it sound and play well? Yes. Do I agree with the BS about Zager's string science?No. You can buy a guitar for less and spend around $65 for a set up(make sure you choose good luthier) and that guitar will play just as good.

Am I promoting Zager? No. I tried one and like it. That's just my opinion, maybe I got lucky and got a good one. I would suggest you go to a few different music stores and try a whole bunch out, first. If your still not sure order a Zager and try that out. Send it back if you don't like it.

Be prepared to be antagonized by other guitarists, though. I am a closet Zager player.

Hmmm...Maybe I can get a different manufacturer's sticker to cover over the Zager logo?

Life is too short to worry about coupons.....

ROCK ON!:thu:

• Members

If your curious try one. Send it back if you don't like it - they pay shipping both ways. I've got a ZAD OM 80. Is it over-priced? Yes. Does it sound and play well? Yes. Do I agree with the BS about Zager's string science?No. You can buy a guitar for less and spend around $65 for a set up(make sure you choose good luthier) and that guitar will play just as good.

Am I promoting Zager? No. I tried one and like it. That's just my opinion, maybe I got lucky and got a good one. I would suggest you go to a few different music stores and try a whole bunch out, first. If your still not sure order a Zager and try that out. Send it back if you don't like it.

Be prepared to be antagonized by other guitarists, though.

I have not ever seen, played, or heard a Zager, so I can't comment on their guitars. But from what I've read here and seen of their website, I think the above quote is a balanced & honest summary of the situation.

• Members

Be prepared to be antagonized by other guitarists, though. I am a closet Zager player.

Hmmm...Maybe I can get a different manufacturer's sticker to cover over the Zager logo?

Life is too short to worry about coupons.....

ROCK ON!
:thu:

Ibanezdtryr, Maximum and TC all seem like decent guys. If they like their guitars and feel they were worth what they paid then they are not dupes and do not deserve to be derided and made to feel like second-class members of the forum.

No matter how many times some folks assert that it is only Denny Zager and his business ethics that are being ridiculed I would bet that the legitimate Zager owners (I am not talking about the shills -screw them) feel insulted by some of the comments and general ridicule.

And the notion that they shouldn't identify with their guitars is so disingenuous as to be laughable. This site is filled to overflowing with folks who identify with their guitars.

• Members

Ibanezdtryr, Maximum and TC all seem like decent guys. If they like their guitars and feel they were worth what they paid then they are not dupes and do not deserve to be derided and made to feel like second-class members of the forum.

No matter how many times some folks assert that it is only Denny Zager and his business ethics that are being ridiculed I would bet that the legitimate Zager owners (I am not talking about the shills -screw them) feel insulted by some of the comments and general ridicule.

And the notion that they shouldn't identify with their guitars is so disingenuous as to be laughable. This site is filled to overflowing with folks with their guitars.

Yes, they are decent guys and should not made to feel like second class citizens.

They see their guitars as instruments that are decent and funtional. They are reasonably well set up and play well.

None of these guys are posting here with beliefs that these guitars are the "Holy Grail". They are logical Formites who continue to contribute to the overall knowledge of the Forum.

The Poll is what the Poll is.......a vote and an opinion regarding the Guitars and not them.

It looks like the defensive Zealots have left here. I am glad these guys are staying.

They need to understand that if I said that all Washburns were great guitars and ran a poll, quite afew people would say that they are overbuilt and unresponsive.

The poll would come out strongly against Washburns especially if I said "We are only polling the Samick Indonesia factory product.".

• Members
Yes, they are decent guys and should not made to feel like second class citizens.

They see their guitars as instruments that are decent and funtional. They are reasonably well set up and play well.

None of these guys are posting here with beliefs that these guitars are the "Holy Grail". They are logical Formites who continue to contribute to the overall knowledge of the Forum.

Thanks, Harmonycat. I don't feel like a second class citizen, though. The Zager is just an instrument like my others. I don't take anything that is said to heart. If I were in a room full of guitar players with Martins, Taylors, and such I would worry more about my chops than what the other guitarists thought of my guitar. A good guitarist can make a crappy guitar sound good, but a bad guitarist can't.....um, well...lost my train of thought. I was going to say something witty.....lets see... a bad guitarst ....a bad guitarist can..could....no...should...... a bad guitarist should play the....um....bongos.

Like Joe Perry said "Let the music do the talking."

In the words of Denny Zager's free help video, "don't be a heavy handed player -it's not a football game. Learn to control yourself. "(Really, then why am I wearing this helmet?)

Amen

In the rear 2525 - that still cracks me up!

• Members

Ok....I have seen all of the stuff going on here about Zager and his guitars and I have not "joined in" as I am new here. Since I do own one,(ZAD80CE) I will comment. I have many guitars and have bought and sold countless others. I spend alot of time at my local music store(ask my wife:mad:)and have played probably everything they have. Here is my opinion: I have played good Gibsons and bad Gibsons, same with Fender, Martin, Taylor, Ibanez, Epiphone...etc, etc. So I usually won't buy a guitar unless I have played it. In the case of the Zager, I will admit that I was "intrigued" by his claims of EZ play, and I spoke to my local tech about it. He told me that he had a friend that had bought one and let him examine it. He said that it had a real good setup and was a nice guitar with a good sound. I ordered one soon after as I knew I could send it back if I didn't like it. That was a little over a year ago and I still have it. I do like it. It plays good, sounds good. It is not my favorite guitar to look at but it isn't bad. I seem to play cleaner on this guitar than most of my other acoustics,(which I have had setup) not sure why but I do. Anyway I found it to be a keeper. Whether I paid too much for it as some folks say, well thats ok. To each his own and so on. I am an old fart with thick skin. As far as the ethics of Denny, well I don't know him or what his deal with Martin or Sigma is so I leave that stone unturned. If he was doing something wrong to them I would think that something would have been done by now. But hey, I don't know. Did I get ripped off? Hell, I bought a first year Chevy Vega so what do I know? Anyway I agree with the folks here that say if you like it, keep it, play it. I have had this same type scenario with motorcycles. I ride a Harley these days. But I have owned Honda's, Yamaha's and will gladly ride with anyone of those today, no problem. I will not, however, get into a Vega again! :freak:

With that said I look forward to all of the experience and wit to be found here on this forum. Now it is time to go play!