Is this a good deal--1970 Gibson Blueridge for $799?

ESchmidt

• Members

I'd personally be hesitant to buy a vintage guitar without playing it. That being said (this might sound stupid but it's how I think of it), if you've played it and it's $799 good, then you should definitely buy it if you've got the dough.

• Members

I'd personally be hesitant to buy a vintage guitar without playing it. That being said (this might sound stupid but it's how I think of it), if you've played it and it's $799 good, then you should definitely buy it if you've got the dough.

Its at the GC thats about 15 minutes away from my house so I figure Ill be able t try before I buy.

• Members

Have you played it? Do you like it? That's the criteria that really matters.

A few facts. The Blueridge was made between 1968 and 1979, the heart of what's known among Gibson afficionado's as the Norlin years, when Gibson was owned by a company (Norlin) that really knew nothing about guitar manufacturing and cared even less. Gibson's during this period tend to be overbuilt and lack tone (actually, something common to Martin as well, but for different reasons). The Blueridge was a square shouldered dread. Hummingbird's were also square shouldered, less expensive at the same period, and a much better guitar.

All of that aside, Gibson's generally during that period were hit or miss, with some being really good and many not so good, and it had nothing to do with model. Just the luck of the draw. So, if you've played it and liked it, go for it. Personally, I wouldn't. And, I think the price is a bit high. Ymmv.

D.

• Members

Have you played it? Do you like it? That's the criteria that really matters.

A few facts. The Blueridge was made between 1968 and 1979, the heart of what's known among Gibson afficionado's as the Norlin years, when Gibson was owned by a company (Norlin) that really knew nothing about guitar manufacturing and cared even less. Gibson's during this period tend to be overbuilt and lack tone (actually, something common to Martin as well, but for different reasons). The Blueridge was a square shouldered dread. Hummingbird's were also square shouldered, less expensive at the same period, and a much better guitar.

All of that aside, Gibson's generally during that period were hit or miss, with some being really good and many not so good, and it had nothing to do with model. Just the luck of the draw. So, if you've played it and liked it, go for it. Personally, I wouldn't. And, I think the price is a bit high. Ymmv.

D.

Thanks for the info.

• Members

It's too shiny.....really.

I would ask why.

Also, the pick guard and bridge is wrong.

"Available: 1968 to 1990

Collectibility Rating: D--

Because this is a square shoulder laminate guitar, there aren't a lot of collectors interested in this model.

1968 Blue Ridge introduction specs:

16.25" wide, square shoulder dreadnought, laminate outside rosewood layer (maple inner layers) back and sides, top belly bridge with adjustable rosewood saddle, black teardrop pickguard, bound top and back, 25.5" scale unbound rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays, no peghead ornamentation, decal "gibson" peghead logo, natural finish.

1969 Blue Ridge specs:

bottom belly bridge.

1970 Blue Ridge specs:

non-adjustable bridge saddle. 12 string model available.

1979 Heritage discontinued. Reintroduced with different specs in 1989 and discontinued in 1990."

http://vintage-guitars.blogspot.com/2005/10/gibson-blue-ridge.html

http://vintage-guitars.blogspot.com/2005/10/gibson-blue-ridge.html

I wouldn't "headstock" shop for the low end Gibson anymore than I would any other brand. I would still play it, but in MHO, there's something fishy in Denmark here.

• Members

I was going to add that any time you shop for a used guitar be sure to check everything in the Sick Guitar article at the Annex (particularly know how to measure neck angle and what it costs to fix). Most gits around 25 or 30 years will need a reset - that does not mean you should not buy them, just know what it means and costs (both my old Marties have had it done and both are wonderful guitars)

• 6 years later...
  • Members

I bought my Gibson Blue Ridge in 1971 and i use it all the time. It sounds fantastic for blues, folk or anything really. It ouplays newer guitars the action is perfect. I would not sell it for £1000. If the one you are thinking of buying for $799 sounds as good as mine it is a real bargain.

• Members

I think the post is real. It's the date that's been edited for re-posting. I have this theory that the culprit behind all these archived and revived threads has it in for FF because he reacts so entertainingly to them. Necro-Baiting. It's all the rage.

• Members
I'm thinking Jim Berry might not even be a real person.

First post ever necroing a 6 year old thread.

This is all too common lately.

Yes and no. A lotta people end up in old threads by the magic of Google, and don't even know at first glance how long ago the thread appeared.

• Members

Agreed. What I don't agree with is the reaction the threads get from certain forumites. I just don't understand the thinking(?) that a thread has to be new to be valid. It doesn't take a lot of gray matter to understand the poster is arriving via an old thread, which should serve as another method of entry into the forum - and does in every other forum - but not here by edict of a few self-designated necro-cops. Those who arrive thru old posts and read the reactions probably say fuck that shit and simply disappear giving the necro-cops a (false) sense of credibility. Shine those badges, you who bought them, and feel good about yourselves if no one else champions your cause. Abstention is still an option.

• Members
May I give you a word of advice? Note the date of the original post. I'm willing to bet some serious money that Guitar Center sold that guitar some six years back.

Now, if you're really interested in participating here, start a new thread about something current and relevant... not in a six year old zombie thread.

Trust me. It's the right thing to do. You'll be surprised by the positive reaction you'll get.

There. I'm being nice.

Damned you Fret Fiend. I was just getting into this thread and what happens?

HCAGF's own version of Debbie Downer shows up and ruins it for everybody.

My own Norlin-era Gibson sang like a choir of angels. And loud? I had to stop taking it to Mardi Gras parades. The brass bands were complaining. And maybe Norlin did overbuild. But wait until your prize guitar gets run over by a tractor. My Gibson Blueridge got run over by a float in a Mardi Gras parade. It was none the worse for wear. But that tractor incurred a broken axle. So I thank my stars Norlin overbuilt those guitars.

• Members

Damned you Fret Fiend. I was just getting into this thread and what happens?

HCAGF's own version of Debbie Downer shows up and ruins it for everybody.

My own Norlin-era Gibson sang like a choir of angels. And loud? I had to stop taking it to Mardi Gras parades. The brass bands were complaining. And maybe Norlin did overbuild. But wait until your prize guitar gets run over by a tractor. My Gibson Blueridge got run over by a float in a Mardi Gras parade. It was none the worse for wear. But that tractor incurred a broken axle. So I thank my stars Norlin overbuilt those guitars.

Hi, I'm new here. I was looking for a guy called marcellis, but I just got page introuvable.

I rarely look at the date for an OP.

Archived