Yamaha FG-75 or FG-75-1 for beater?

jcoons32

• Members

Do you think that a FG-75 or FG-75-1 would make a good beater guitar? I know its completely laminate, but it has an adjustable truss rod, which most guitars in the >$100 range dont. I'm not looking for a $150 dollar solid top or anything, just something to take to the beach and strum some barre chords on. Anyone have any experience with these? Thanks.

• Members

Well, the FG75 and FG75-1 are vintage Yamaha guitars. They're actually very nice guitars (if set-up properly) with very nice tone and very playable. Sure, they only sold for about $100 new way back in the late 60's early 70's, but a red label guitar in excellent condition will fetch you about $250 to $300 today. Hardly beaters IMHO.

• Members

yea, but im looking at the black label taiwan ones. i believe that both the FG-75 and the FG-75-1 both have truss rods right? The 75-1 seems to be cheaper for some reason. do you know why? is it just because it was made in taiwan rather than the japan Nippon Gakki one. please inform me, and thanks!

• Members

yea, there's one at my local pawn shop for 60 bucks, and I plan on grabbin it at some point this week. however, it is a FG75-1 model, and the label is black. I don't really think there is a difference, both cosmetically or tonally, between the taiwan and japan models. the reviews on Harmony for the 75-1 seem good as well.

• Members

Exactly the same construction materials. FG75 manufactured 68-74; FG75-1 manufactutred 74-76. Both had an MSRP of only $109.50, but generally sold for less in retail shops.

If the pawn shop FG75-1 is in sound condition, then I'd buy it in a heartbeat for $60.

• Members

so I imagine that the demand and the price is higher for the FG-75 mainly because it is older. I'll tell you what, it sounded so good in the shop that I thought it had to be a solid top. Yamaha is just one of those few that got laminating right. p.s. thanks for all of the info guys.

• Members

so I imagine that the demand and the price is higher for the FG-75 mainly because it is older. I'll tell you what, it sounded so good in the shop that I thought it had to be a solid top. Yamaha is just one of those few that got laminating right. p.s. thanks for all of the info guys.

Grab it for $60.00 and play it everwhere......My $90.00 Beater is going to the Cottage next weekend with new strings for another great Campfire Summer!

Cheers!:thu:

• 11 years later...
  • 2 years later...