Recommend songs with acoustic guitar, female singer

Mr.Bates

• Members

I want to jam with a friend of mine (a very talented female singer)...

We want to do some pop/rock songs, maybe even some soul/hip hop... Im not into this style but she is, so were looking for somethings that both of us would like, from the "mainstream" music. I think we're gonna do Fergie's "Dont cry" for example...

So what would you recommend?

BTW this is pretty cool:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TdWLH8Q0S4E

• Members

Does it have to be mainstream and recent? I just think of some of the best female rock/pop singers and try and think of ones with acoustic guitar work. Melissa Ethridge and Stevie Nicks comes to mind. I know it's cheesy..but, Landslide has always been one of my favorites. Amy Winehouse is a good choice as well.

• Members

I don't see why you feel the need to limit yourselves to female singers. Women can't sing the same songs as men?
:confused:

Yeah! I just played a Van Morrison song with my female singer friend yesterday. We played Moondance. Just transposed it up a bit and we were good to go.

Haha yeah I've had to deal with the R&B/soul types, not being a fan myself... out of the songs I've played with such people that I did like, I'd say go for "more than words", a soul/r&b style ballad from the 80's that's had a revival in popularity lately. Pretty acoustic guitar part. What else... Corrine Bailey Rae's "just like a star" is ok, "no one" by Alicia Keys is catchy though the guitar part repeats a lot... um, hmm well I guess I don't really play with those guys anymore... I really don't like R&B haha too damn syrupy. Best of luck though, and maybe you could convince her to do some jazz standards--in the general vicinity of R&B but not quite as sickly sweet. Autumn Leaves, Misty, All the things you are, Summertime, Georgia on my mind.... all would be great for a female vocalist in the appropriate key.

• Members

Thanks guys...

Shawn Colvin - cool stuff but we need something that the audience would recognize...

Why not use songs by male singers?

1) we want to stay pretty close to the originals...

2) Female artists just sing differently... more range...

Anyways I am open for suggestions...

More than words - I love this song but its a little bit overplayed...

Ill check the Van Morison stuff. any recommendations?

Just thought of another song - Norah Jones - Dont know why...

• Members

I don't see why you feel the need to limit yourselves to female singers. Women can't sing the same songs as men?
:confused:

Of course. ;) And men can sing songs by women. :thu:

[YOUTUBE]UEyCGrIOHmA[/YOUTUBE]

I've always thought this kind of question was odd, but I guess I understand it to a certain extent. Though I think I'll start a thread looking for songs that would be good for an acoustic guitarist in Texas with blue eyes and high triglycerides. :poke:

• Members

:D

Not to mention that guitars can also play the same notes and songs as any other instrument or group of instruments... which means there is no reason a female singer with a guitar couldn't sing a song by a male singer with a piano.

:o

Anyway... not sure I'm really helping here, so... I actually had in mind a cool "fem. voc + guitar" cover of Janet Jackson's "Together Again" by the band Swing Strings (singer is Josefine Cronholm). I think the chords are in the CD's booklet, so let me know if you are interested, Mr.Bates.

• Members

DUDE---Jill Sobule.

I promise, man. Check out her album Happy Town.

Her albums Underdog Victorious and Pink Pearl are a bit more acoustic though.

Poppy acoustic/electric songs. She plays a pretty mean guitar (and drums, keys, etc, on Happy Town). I'd listen to her sing anything.

• Members

That just ain't right

That Nelly just drips sensuality.

No one person should be that good looking!

Like Shania Twain she too has enough good looks for 3 people.

A popular song right now is "Bubbly" by Colbie Caillat.

Here's a vid of a different girl doing the cover that I like better than the original.

This little girl is just cute as can be.

[YOUTUBE]8ORMkhnRBUA[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I'm female and I've taken to singing Big Star songs. A lot of their songs work well in my voice and the ones that don't I have my boyfriend sing.

Thirteen - Big Star

You and Your Sister - Chris Bell

Watch The Sunrise - Big Star

Archived