Martin DSR

itsuks

• Members

So GC is running an annual Green Tag saving event and this Martin dreadnought is on sale for $799, $200 off the regular price. (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin-DSR-Solid-Top-Dreadnought-Rosewood-Spruce-Acoustic-Guitar-103117933-i1171362.gc)

It appears to be a GC exclusive custom model. It took me a while to find out the origin of this model name. I think it is made after the DR of the Road Series. Instead of having laminate rosewood on DR, this model has solid rosewood on back and sides. That might be why it's called DSR. Correct me if I'm wrong.

After struggling for a while about upgrading my guitar and as a result of frequenting this forum, I've gained enough GAS (first time using this HCAG exclusive term:lol:) and got the urge to jump on this deal, although in my previous post I talked about waiting til budget allows me to get a somewhat higher end one. But then I thought it would be fine to buy a mid-low range one first and get a nicer one later (perhaps when I am old, hahahh).

Anyway, I'll go to the nearby GC to try it out this weekend. But please you guys drop your opinions about this guitar. Stopping a horse at the cliff is also welcome:lol:

• Members

Sorry, can't comment on this particular model. GC (as well as MF and some of the other big houses) have some custom models built for them, and you are right, it kind of looks like a solid b/s DR (but the flyer is contradictory about the back - one place it says "solid sides"). Only one very minor point, these customs don't tend to be as resellable as say a straight D-16, but otherwise might be a very nice little git.

Let us know what you think when you play it (and pics if you buy it)

• Members

Sorry to say I've never played one of those models either.

What Freeman mentions about the resale value is very interesting. But if resale is not necessarily a criteria for you, then it looks like a pretty good deal on an all-solid Martin. By all means, do try it out and let us know what you think.

Like Freeman, I noted the slight contradiction in the description, but I tend to attribute that to an oversight by whoever wrote it for the website.

I'm a huge fan of Martin dreads - they're my all-time favorite - and if there were a GC anywhere near where I live, I'd certainly go try one.

• Members

I was checking that out too. That sale seems like a pretty good deal. The DSR is not listed on the Martin website, so it's kind of hard to say definitively just what the construction is. I have a 000-15 that's pretty nice. I originally bought a J-15 while searching for the 000. I ended up selling it when a 000 popped up. It sounds and plays really well, but I still have an itch. I'm not really an acoustic player, 45+ years on electric, but I'm trying to broaden out with both bass and acoustic guitar. Let us know what you think if you find one to play ~

• Members

I have a friend that purchased one of the GC/MF Custom RW/Sitka with satin finish. Here's the specs on it from Martin. Good sounding box and a great value, YMMV.

MODEL: Guitar Center (RW) Custom 02

SATIN GUITAR CENTER02 Guitar

Cust D RW Guitar Center w/cs

LABEL: None

CONSTRUCTION:

1 Style; Ply Blocks; Mortise/Tenon Neck Joint

BODY SIZE: D-14 Fret

TOP: Sitka Spruce

TOP BRACES: Sitka/1 Style/Non-Scalloped

PATTERN: D1 A-Frame

TONE BAR: Sitka Spruce

CROSS BRACE: Sitka Spruce

BRIDGE PLATE: Maple

SIDE BRACE: Sitka Spruce

TOP PLATE: None

A BRACE: Sitka Spruce

#1 BRACE: Sitka Spruce

SOUNDHOLE BRACE: None

TOP BINDING: 6/32'' White Boltaron

TOP INLAY: None

TOP PEARL: None

ADDITIONAL TOP INLAY: None

ROSETTE: Style 28

PICKGUARD: I-01 Tortoise, Pattern 1 (D28 Style)

BACK: Solid East Indian Rosewood

BACK PANELS: 2 Pc.

PURFLING: None

BACK BRACE #1: Sitka Spruce

BACK BRACE #2: Sitka Spruce

BACK BRACE #3: Sitka Spruce

BACK BRACE #4: Sitka Spruce

BACK BINDING: 6/32'' White Boltaron

SIDES: Solid East Indian Rosewood

RIBBONS: Spanish Cedar

SIDE BRACES: East Indian Rosewood

ENDPIECE: White Boltaron

BLOCK: Strataply

TAG/PLATE: Maple

REAR: D Strataply

FRONT: D 14 Fret Adjustable Strataply

Line 1: CFM Logo

Line 2: CUSTOM

Line 3: Serial #

Line 4: Made in USA

NECK: 10/4 Select Hardwood (Genuine Mahogany, Sapele, or African Mahogany)

NECK SHAPE: Mod Low Oval

HEADSTOCK: Solid/6 String No Diamond/Square Taper

TRUSS ROD: 2-Way Adjustable 356mm

HEELCAP: White Boltaron

NUT: White Corian

ON ANGLE/FLAT: Flat

HEADPLATE: Solid East Indian Rosewood

HEADPLATE DECAL: Raised Gold Foil

TUNING MACHINES: Ping Chrome- 18:1 Ratio w/ Small Knobs (Drill Y Step)

FINGERBOARD: Solid East Indian Rosewood

RADIUS: 16''

ACTUAL SCALE LENGTH: 25.340'' (25.4'')

COMPENSATED SCALE LENGTH: 25.440''

WIDTH AT NUT: 1 11/16''

WIDTH AT 12 FRET: 2 1/8''

LENGTH: 17.984''

FRET WIRE: G300

FRET SLOT: .023'' (Pocketed)

FRETS CLEAR: 14

TOTAL FRETS: 20

PEARL INLAY: Style 28

SIDE DOTS: White Boltaron

SIDE DOT POSITION: One at 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, Two at 12th, One at 15th & 17th Frets

FINISH TYPE: Satin Finish

FINISH BODY: Catalyzed 5 Sheen Satin/No Stain/ Dark Filler

FINISH TOP: Catalyzed 5 Sheen Satin

FINISH NECK: Catalyzed 5 Sheen Satin/ Dark Mahogany Stain/ Dark Filler

BRIDGE: Solid East Indian Rosewood

STYLE: 1 Style Belly

STRING SPACING: 2 1/8''

SADDLE: 16'' Radius/Compensated/White Tusq

STRINGS: MSP 4200 Medium Phosphor Bronze

BRIDGE PINS: White w/ Black Dots

END PIN: White w/ Black Dot

CASE: 345

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Hey I own the Martin you wrote about... it is an awesome gutiar... I set out to pay 2000 for a Taylor and I found that this guitar had the same tone for half the cost.. I do miss having the cutaway and of course there are no electronics.. But I use a L.R. Baggs M1 active in mine and it is pretty stellar...

Archived