*REAL* Tortoise Shell Pickguard

hayes_griffin

• Members

I recently came into a 1947 Martin D-18 that my grandmother owned, and I had to have a bunch of work done to it which included the removal of a gaudy Lester Flatt-style pickguard. Somewhere along the line the original one must have gotten lost, but I was wondering if anybody would have any idea on how to procure a period-correct REAL tortoise pickguard for this thing. Any help whatsoever would be appreciated.

• Members

Well your first bet would be to find yourself a pond, something where the water is not moving fast. A beaver damn is a good spot. Then you need to camp out for a while and watch. They come up for air all the time.

then all you need is a .22

bw3397.jpg

+

turtle_article.jpg

+

band-saw4-crop1.jpg

=

pickgrd%20acst%20tort1.jpg

:D

• Members

^ I am totally kidding btw

Shame! Shame! :cop:

Q's right, you're gonna have to go with synthetic material. I've seen the real deal sold (Tortoise Shell) off an old Martin on eBay, but that's been awhile ago.

• Members

Well your first bet would be to find yourself a pond, something where the water is not moving fast. A beaver damn is a good spot. Then you need to camp out for a while and watch. They come up for air all the time.

then all you need is a .22

bw3397.jpg

+

turtle_article.jpg

+

band-saw4-crop1.jpg

=

pickgrd%20acst%20tort1.jpg

:D

you forgot to put the hole in the pickguard from where the bullet went through.

• Members

I recently came into a 1947 Martin D-18 that my grandmother owned, and I had to have a bunch of work done to it which included the removal of a gaudy Lester Flatt-style pickguard. Somewhere along the line the original one must have gotten lost, but I was wondering if anybody would have any idea on how to procure a period-correct REAL tortoise pickguard for this thing. Any help whatsoever would be appreciated.

the only legal way is to find a piece of pre ban shell and have one made or to take it off another old guitar. New tortise is of course protected and highly illegal to deal in. Players that use tortise picks often cut them from old combs but I don't know where you are going to find legal shell that big.

Since you are dealing with a guitar that could potentially be worth many thousands I would entrust it only to someone who really knows his business - Kimsey, Kovacik, Ford, Arnold, etc. Probably the best place to ask would be the vintage forum at UMGF. Remember that incorrect work can really kill the value of that old guitar.

• Members

Trading in real tortoise shell is a violation of US and international (CITES) law.

There are lots of good synthetic replacements without killing hawksbill turtles.

yep, its why dunlop had to create "tortex" picks, which are a synthetic type replacement to the once popular tortoise picks

• Members

yep, its why dunlop had to create "tortex" picks, which are a synthetic type replacement to the once popular tortoise picks

With all due respect, Tortex isn't remotely similar to real tortoise shell.

• Members

I haven't seen tortoise shell picks since the late 1970's. I remember buying them at a long gone music store when I was a kid. I used them because they were the thickest ones I could get. Gosh...I wonder what would happen if I still had them now? Would I be possession of something illegal? (not that it would be the first time ;))

DonK is right...the Tortex ones aren't really the same.

• Members

does redbear make a pickguard out of the manmade material that is synth just like the turtle makes a shell? I like the picks but I have never seen a redbear pickguard

I like the Red Bear Tortis picks, but given what they cost, I'd hate to see what a pickguard would go for, if they made one. Like real tortoise shell, Red Bear's Tortis material is pretty brittle, so I imagine it would be an inferior material for that purpose in any event.

Archived