Pickup for Epiphone FT-150 old acoustic guitar?

slej

• Members

I'd go w/ a Dean Markley Pro-Mag Plus soundhole p/u...decent sounding and easy to move into another guitar should you ever trade up.

984373546746X.jpg

BTW, if you're really into Epis from that era, try out the Epi FT-350...similar to yours except it has a dove-tail neck joiont and a non-adjustable bridge saddle...back when I owned one, I used one of these DeArmonds to amplify it, but those are pretty expensive these days!

g1.jpg

dearmond_soundhole.jpg

• Members

So, thanks for the suggestions. Do the Markley and/or Bill Lawrence pickups work properly with electric guitar strings on an acoustic guitar? If not, can acoustic guitar strings be gotten in the same sizes as electric strings? How would either or both work plugged right in to a small, electric guitar modeling amp? These are passive pickups, right? I frequently read opinions in "forums" that opine passive acoustic pickups necessitate a preamp. Is this true?

In particular, what's your opinion of the Lawrence A-300? Some reviews I read rated it 10 out of 10.

• Members

Also, what do you think about Seymour Duncan acoustice pickups? The specific models are SA-1 and Woody XL. I've put SD pickups in my electric guitars and like them a lot compared to the stock ones (Peavey pickups).

• Members

So, thanks for the suggestions. Do the Markley and/or Bill Lawrence pickups work properly with electric guitar strings on an acoustic guitar? If not, can acoustic guitar strings be gotten in the same sizes as electric strings? . . .

Pickups made for acoustic guitars are made to function properly with acoustic strings. If you're using electric strings, the B and high E will be attenuated relative to the other strings. This is because the pickup will be designed to respond only to the cores of the wound strings but it will be responding to the whole string instead. Bronze (or brass in some cases) is magnetically neutral. The steel windings on electric strings aren't. Acoustic strings come in gauges down to .010, which should be light enough for you. Martin, d'Addario, and DR all make .010s for acoustic.

• Members

So, thanks for the suggestions. Do the Markley and/or Bill Lawrence pickups work properly with electric guitar strings on an acoustic guitar? If not, can acoustic guitar strings be gotten in the same sizes as electric strings? How would either or both work plugged right in to a small, electric guitar modeling amp? These are passive pickups, right? I frequently read opinions in "forums" that opine passive acoustic pickups necessitate a preamp. Is this true?

In particular, what's your opinion of the Lawrence A-300? Some reviews I read rated it 10 out of 10.

The A-300, except for the DeArmond, is about the best p/u if you like a jazz tone on a flat-top, and work great w/ electric strings. Decent for rock acoustic, as well!

• Members

Thanks for your thoughts about this "thread." I don't really know about or want to categorize pickup tones. My idea is to put a pickup on the acoustic so I can amplify it; I hope it sounds like how I play it without the pickup only louder. Putting electric guitar strings on the acoustic Epiphone resulted in ease of playing close to that of my electric guitars (a Peavey tele copy and an old reissue Fender '52 Telecaster); I also did a lot of adjustments to the acoustic with respect to neck angle and string height; the compared-to electrics are set-up to factory spec's. I mention all this so that you know what I'm interested to accomplish with respect to the pickup on the acoustic.

• Members

Thanks for your thoughts about this "thread." I don't really know about or want to categorize pickup tones. My idea is to put a pickup on the acoustic so I can amplify it; I hope it sounds like how I play it without the pickup only louder. Putting electric guitar strings on the acoustic Epiphone resulted in ease of playing close to that of my electric guitars . . .

If you simply want your guitar to sound the same but louder, then no, electric strings won't do it. If you're looking for a more "electric" sound, try a set of strings that are specifically made for acoustic/electric guitars. DR Zebras come to mind. As I've already mentioned, acoustic strings come in gauges down to .010, which should be "electric" enough in feel.

As for your choice of amp, if you want your guitar to sound the same only louder, then don't bother with an electric amp. A bass or keyboard amp will do if you don't have an acoustic amp. And yes, the general consensus is that you'll usually do better with a dedicated preamp although some pickups will sound better than others.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived