Takamine preamp problem...

luckyman

• Members

Hello all !!!

I have recently purchased a used Takamine Eg523sc that evidently has a bad gain potentiometer. The preamp is a tk4nt, After contacting Takamine they said "you're screwed,go to your local Tak dealer and order a new one and BTW it's 100 bucks." does anyone have any experience with replacing this or any other pot in a preamp? It's definitely the pot 'cause you can wiggle it and it'll play...for a while...or it may cut out while you are playing.

I don't gig or I'd really be mad. Tried disassembly and a good cleaning to no avail. Still it sounds great acoustically. I'm not opposed to allowing a dealer to make a "fair" profit but, does anyone out there know one that won't try to stick to MSRP? Took it to a local shop and got the old "minimum bench charge is $35" so I was like "you can fix it for $35?" answer,"no we just charge you that to give you an estimate on what it will cost." El Paso!!!

Don't even get me started on the whole "gas pricing" thing...what a scam !!!...:mad:

Thanks in advance !!!...:thu:

• Members

The preamp on my Tak FP360SC crapped out a while back. Tried fixing it, nop go. You're basically looking at a new or used preamp. The good news is most of them are interchangeable and you just plug in a new unit. Bad news is they are expensive, and usually not discounted new. I searched and found a replacement on EBAY so recommend doing some used preamp unit research first before you pay full boat on a new one. Good luck.

• Members

thanks for the reply guildfire.

I hear what you are saying.

most of the ones on ebay are from sellers in Hong Kong and they state in their "fine print" that the BUYER is responsible for any "duties" imposed on the transaction by the feds.

Was hoping to find a fellow forumite with connections...:poke:

Alas, no response as of yet...:rolleyes:

• Members

A thought: Takamine was accquired by Ovation, so the electronics might be similar. Maybe you could score a used or broken Tak, Ovation, Jasmine or Applause that would have an interchangeable pre-amp. Or possibly just use the pot out of it. If you're just shopping for a pot, don't overlook the Applause mandolins. Good luck, and let us know how it all turns out.

• Members

Hey luckyman, is that you doing your Esteban impersonation in your avatar?

That's just the best guitarist of all time MR. Stevie Ray Vaughn during an unplugged session for I think it was MTV, not sure though.

Hearing SRV with a twelve string was a real treat. Don't think he did it much on stage.

Who is Esteban?...LOL !!!

A bad SRV impersonator?

• Members

That's just the best guitarist of all time
MR. Stevie Ray Vaughn
during an unplugged session for I think it was MTV, not sure though.

Hearing SRV with a twelve string was a real treat. Don't think he did it much on stage.

Who is Esteban?...LOL !!!

A bad SRV impersonator?

Cool. SRV could play some mean 12 string. Life by the Drop is great and heard another acoustic blues song he did but can't remember the name.

• Members

Yeah, I had other pics of him but he was just so at ease here, and so cool !

He has inspired ( and frustrated ) me. His thumb usage on his fretting hand, to get the bass line, seems so natural to him...and frustrating to all that follow. Been listening to Albert King so it's easy to see/hear where he got his bends. Just can't get into all that monologueing? that he does...shut up and play! Weird tuning too.

• Members

You can also hear Albert King's influence in Clapton's style as well.

Off subject, but completed my cab project... turned out pretty well just need a decent head for cheap. I have seen a H&k warp 7 for around $150. Have also considered a Hartke gt100 since they are good quality and are being sold new for less than 2 bills. Wanted to go with a Peavey classic 30 but funds ran short. With the Tak I'm inclined to go SS, now. Even looked at a Roland JC120 but the dude wouldn't take anything that I have in trade, bummer.

Well I'm off to Memphis tomorrow ( Thursday ) for my Honeymoon :love:, maybe I'll fo find something there...:idea:

Until Sunday eve, Shiny Side Up!!!

Beal Street, LOOKOUT !!!

Luckyman

:wave:

• Members

Not sure if you got this taken care of yet or not. From what I've read any Takamine preamp built after 1988 or something will just slide right in where yours came out. Supposedly the old Tak preamp units are desirable too, I've heard of people buying old beatup taks just for the preamp unit.

I just had the preamp out of my Takamine - EG140SHC. It was pretty easy to get out and put back in. Don't know how confident you are in your electronics skills, but it looks like a simple slider mounted to a circuit board in there, you might see something that's easy to fix if you pull it out, or you could get some electric contact cleaner and spray in there to clean up the contact sliders and see if that helps.

• Members

Not sure if you got this taken care of yet or not. From what I've read any Takamine preamp built after 1988 or something will just slide right in where yours came out. Supposedly the old Tak preamp units are desirable too, I've heard of people buying old beatup taks just for the preamp unit.

I just had the preamp out of my Takamine - EG140SHC. It was pretty easy to get out and put back in. Don't know how confident you are in your electronics skills, but it looks like a simple slider mounted to a circuit board in there, you might see something that's easy to fix if you pull it out, or you could get some electric contact cleaner and spray in there to clean up the contact sliders and see if that helps.

Yeah, pretty much my experience too when I had to replace the preamp in my Tak. Just pop the old one out, and slide in the new one. I like the idea of finding an old beatup Tak just to get the preamp out of it.

• Members

Thanks for the input guys !

I contacted an EBAY seller about a TK4BT, like the one that comes in the Garth Brooks model, for $149. He is in Louisville (near me ) and has offered to order me a new preamp like mine TK4NT for $100. That's MSRP according to Takamine. Mine works OK for now till I can figure out what I'm going to do. Still hoping to find a Tak dealer that's not hung up on MSRP, kinda chaps me paying "list" for anything...so I'll take the advice and try looking for a "beater."

• Members

You need to be careful with Takamine preamp compatibility. The "G" series and the "Pro" series have different pickups and use different preamps. The "Pro" series preamps are interchangeable:

http://www.takamine.com/?fa=history3

This also includes the Cool Tube (CTP) and CT4B.

You would not be able to put any of these preamps into a "G" series Takamine.

Here is a related discussion:

http://www.takamineforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=930

• Members

Galabar, thanks for the info concerning the "G" and "Pro" series incompatiblity. I wonder if the "G" series preamps are compatible. The newer versions of the EG523SC come with a TK40. Would it be possible to switch to one of those? This seems to be bringing me full circle to ordering a new TK4NT from a dealer. Now if I can just get past the MSRP/MAP pricing that the dealer/manufacturers use. ANYBODY GOT CONNECTIONS?

• Members

Galabar, thanks for the info concerning the "G" and "Pro" series incompatiblity. I wonder if the "G" series preamps are compatible. The newer version of the EG523SC comes with a TK40. Would it be possible to switch one of those? This seems to be bringing me full circle to ordering a new TK4NT from a dealer. Now if I can just get past the MSRP/MAP pricing that the dealer/manufacturers use. ANYBODY GOT CONNECTIONS?

I'm not an expert, but the TK40 and the TK4NT seem to have a different form factor:

TK40 looks squarish

TK4NT looks long and thin

I'm guessing that they aren't compatible, but you should contact Takamine:

http://www.takamine.com/?fa=contact

There is also this forum:

http://www.takamineforum.com/

They've got a guy over there named Mike Markure who (I think) runs product development for Takamine. He knows the answers to all of this stuff. :thu:

• Members

Thanks again Galabar for your interest and assistance. You have gone above and beyond for me with this. You are truly a REAL BUD. Hopefully I can return the favor someday. I'll give Mike a holler and see what he has to say. Looks like I'm full circle again, but I think I'll wait till either a deal comes by or she gives out altogether.

May God Bless...

• Members

Thanks again Galabar for your interest and assistance. You have gone above and beyond for me with this. You are truly a REAL BUD. Hopefully I can return the favor someday. I'll give Mike a holler and see what he has to say. Looks like I'm full circle again, but I think I'll wait till either a deal comes by or she gives out altogether.

May God Bless...

No problem. Glad to help.

This forum has given me a lot of helpful advice/info and it is a pleasure to be able to give a little back.

• 10 years later...

Archived