X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Takamine preamp problem...

Hello all !!!

I have recently purchased a used Takamine Eg523sc that evidently has a bad gain potentiometer. The preamp is a tk4nt, After contacting Takamine they said "you're screwed,go to your local Tak dealer and order a new one and BTW it's 100 bucks." does anyone have any experience with replacing this or any other pot in a preamp? It's definitely the pot 'cause you can wiggle it and it'll play...for a while...or it may cut out while you are playing.
    I don't gig or I'd really be mad. Tried disassembly and a good cleaning to no avail. Still it sounds great acoustically. I'm not opposed to allowing a dealer to make a "fair" profit but, does anyone out there know one that won't try to stick to MSRP? Took it to a local shop and got the old "minimum bench charge is $35" so I was like "you can fix it for $35?" answer,"no we just charge you that to give you an estimate on what it will cost." El Paso!!!
    Don't even get me started on the whole "gas pricing" thing...what a scam !!!...

Thanks in advance !!!...
    " I may be crazy, but I ain't shtoopid ! "
    " I can see a shrink...but you can't fix shtoopid. "

Guitars:
    Anniversary Fender Stratocaster CHROME RED
    Takamine Eg523sc Jumbo,Blonde, and SWEET!!!

Great Transactions:...
    MCon

anybody got a Bud in the Takamine biz?

Guitars:

MCon

Comment

The preamp on my Tak FP360SC crapped out a while back. Tried fixing it, nop go. You're basically looking at a new or used preamp. The good news is most of them are interchangeable and you just plug in a new unit. Bad news is they are expensive, and usually not discounted new. I searched and found a replacement on EBAY so recommend doing some used preamp unit research first before you pay full boat on a new one. Good luck.
      If you find your self alone riding in green fields with the sun in your face... do not be troubled, for you are in Elysium. And you are already dead! Brothers... what we do in life... echoes in eternity! (Gladiator)

Comment

thanks for the reply guildfire.
        I hear what you are saying.
        most of the ones on ebay are from sellers in Hong Kong and they state in their "fine print" that the BUYER is responsible for any "duties" imposed on the transaction by the feds.

Was hoping to find a fellow forumite with connections...oke:

Alas, no response as of yet...

Guitars:

MCon

Comment

I wouldn't buy from overseas. Hold out for EBAY seller who is legitimate. Maybe someone from HCAF can help with some other ideas/leads.
          If you find your self alone riding in green fields with the sun in your face... do not be troubled, for you are in Elysium. And you are already dead! Brothers... what we do in life... echoes in eternity! (Gladiator)

Comment

Maybe I should repost this thread asking for people in the biz to bid on selling me a new preamp...wadya tink?

Guitars:

MCon

Comment

A thought: Takamine was accquired by Ovation, so the electronics might be similar. Maybe you could score a used or broken Tak, Ovation, Jasmine or Applause that would have an interchangeable pre-amp. Or possibly just use the pot out of it. If you're just shopping for a pot, don't overlook the Applause mandolins. Good luck, and let us know how it all turns out.

Comment

Hey luckyman, is that you doing your Esteban impersonation in your avatar?

Comment

Hey luckyman, is that you doing your Esteban impersonation in your avatar?

That's just the best guitarist of all time MR. Stevie Ray Vaughn during an unplugged session for I think it was MTV, not sure though.

Hearing SRV with a twelve string was a real treat. Don't think he did it much on stage.

Who is Esteban?...LOL !!!
                  A bad SRV impersonator?

Guitars:

MCon

Comment

Thanks boxorox !
                    hadn't thought of that angle...
                    that's thinking outside the er a...boxorox !

Guitars:

MCon

Comment

That's just the best guitarist of all time MR. Stevie Ray Vaughn during an unplugged session for I think it was MTV, not sure though.

Hearing SRV with a twelve string was a real treat. Don't think he did it much on stage.

Who is Esteban?...LOL !!!
                      A bad SRV impersonator?

Cool. SRV could play some mean 12 string. Life by the Drop is great and heard another acoustic blues song he did but can't remember the name.

Comment

Yeah, I had other pics of him but he was just so at ease here, and so cool !
                        He has inspired ( and frustrated ) me. His thumb usage on his fretting hand, to get the bass line, seems so natural to him...and frustrating to all that follow. Been listening to Albert King so it's easy to see/hear where he got his bends. Just can't get into all that monologueing? that he does...shut up and play! Weird tuning too.

Guitars:

MCon

Comment

Yeah, SRV could really bend those notes, even on a 12 string.

Comment

You can also hear Albert King's influence in Clapton's style as well.
                            Off subject, but completed my cab project... turned out pretty well just need a decent head for cheap. I have seen a H&k warp 7 for around $150. Have also considered a Hartke gt100 since they are good quality and are being sold new for less than 2 bills. Wanted to go with a Peavey classic 30 but funds ran short. With the Tak I'm inclined to go SS, now. Even looked at a Roland JC120 but the dude wouldn't take anything that I have in trade, bummer.
                            Well I'm off to Memphis tomorrow ( Thursday ) for my Honeymoon , maybe I'll fo find something there...
                            Until Sunday eve, Shiny Side Up!!!
                            Beal Street, LOOKOUT !!!
                            Luckyman

Guitars:

MCon

Comment

Yeah, can hear lots of influences on Clapton. Have a good trip to Memphis.

Comment

Working...
                              X