Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick question: How important is using "distilled" water in humidifier?

Collapse



X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Quick question: How important is using "distilled" water in humidifier?

    I'm wondering if tap water through a PUR filter would be ok? Does Planet Waves recommend this to increase the lifespan of the sponge, or is it possible for the minerals, etc in undistilled water to affect the wood in the guitar adversely?

    Thanks for any insight...
    Good Deal Mojo: marder explorer, gregovertone, natasmi, killthelights, FeistyPirahnas, tolstoy, emmerwood, Terry Allan Hall, GW348, kccheers

  • #2
    I'm wondering if tap water through a PUR filter would be ok? Does Planet Waves recommend this to increase the lifespan of the sponge, or is it possible for the minerals, etc in undistilled water to affect the wood in the guitar adversely?

    Thanks for any insight...


    In my experience, distilled water doesn't help that much. The short lifespan of all my humidifiers has been due to mold, not mineral deposits.

    This might be specific to my environment. But all my Planet Waves soundhole humidifiers became blocked up with mold within the same winter season that I purchased them, even when I used distilled water.

    Now I just use sponges in ziplock baggies with holes, and tap water. The bacteria-resistant sponges typically last one full season with no mold, then mold spots start to appear the following year if I try to use them again. But it's a 50 cent sponge, easy to replace.

    Comment


    • #3
      In my experience, distilled water doesn't help that much. The short lifespan of all my humidifiers has been due to mold, not mineral deposits.

      This might be specific to my environment. But all my Planet Waves soundhole humidifiers became blocked up with mold within the same winter season that I purchased them, even when I used distilled water.

      Now I just use sponges in ziplock baggies with holes, and tap water. The bacteria-resistant sponges typically last one full season with no mold, then mold spots start to appear the following year if I try to use them again. But it's a 50 cent sponge, easy to replace.


      Yeah, when the sponge goes on this Planet Waves one, I was just planning on cutting a regular dish-sponge in half and using that inside it...
      Good Deal Mojo: marder explorer, gregovertone, natasmi, killthelights, FeistyPirahnas, tolstoy, emmerwood, Terry Allan Hall, GW348, kccheers

      Comment


      • #4
        If you have hard water where you live, mineral deposits might be a problem, but like brahmz118 says, the real problem is likely going to be mold.

        Hint: a drop of clorox in the water you put in the sponge will get rid of the mold.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm wondering if tap water through a PUR filter would be ok? Does Planet Waves recommend this to increase the lifespan of the sponge, or is it possible for the minerals, etc in undistilled water to affect the wood in the guitar adversely?

          Thanks for any insight...


          Using boiled and filtered water (With a dash of Dettox) should help reduce the likelihood of mould growth. Minerals aren't typically capable of evaporating unless heated beyond the boiling point of water, so I'd not worry about them affecting wood or finishes unless the water lays and dries out on/inside your instrument.
          IF IT AINT BROKE, DON'T FIX IT.

          Comment


          • #6
            I should have a button on here that'll just print "What Gary say's". He's dead on about the minerals. All I can say is that you have to watch for the mold growth. A little Clorox, whatever works. If you see evidance of mold, either thoroughly clean (A run thru the dishwasher works pretty good) or discard the sponges/device. Once mold or mildew establishes itself in a case, it's damned near impossible to get rid of. I have seen extreme cases where mold has grown inside the guitar. It is diffcult for me to enjoy the fullness of musical experiance if I'm playing a guitar that smells like old gym socks.

            Comment


            • #7
              If you have hard water where you live, mineral deposits might be a problem, but like brahmz118 says, the real problem is likely going to be mold.

              Hint: a drop of clorox in the water you put in the sponge will get rid of the mold.


              +1

              I use a drop of clorox or liquid lysol in my water. Keeps my sponges from getting stinky and moldy.
              Two years in remission - Yay! Damn, it's good to be alive!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Been using tap water for years. If your water is hard you may have to replace the humidifier in a few years. I have been using the same ones for 5+ years with no apparent build up in minerals and we have very hard water here.
                My Myspace Page

                Comment













                Working...
                X