K&K Pure Western Mini (or) iBeam Passive (or) Mic

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

Conversation Detail Module
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K&K Pure Western Mini (or) iBeam Passive (or) Mic

A good friend of mine has been looking for a new guitar to get when he gets his xmas bonus. He co-hosts an open mic with another friend of mine and his current guitar keeps having technical difficulty's. I offered to sell him my Yamaha FGX720SCA for a little less than what I paid for it, and I told him he don't have to pay me for it until he gets his xmas bonus in a couple weeks. He more than gladly accepted my offer and now I am back to one guitar with no pickup.

Right now I plan to mic the guitar at the open mic's, but am also considering a passive pickup. I have installed the K&K PWM in a couple of guitars and think it sounds good, but I have never tryed the iBeam passive pickup.

I would like to hear everyones opinion on these pickups... or... do you think I should just mic the guitar. I have an Audix OM2 dynamic mic that seems to work quite nicely through my PA at home but have not tryed it yet at the open mic. I also have a condensor mic which I did use at the open mic but it seemed too prone to feed back and was driving the sound guy a little nuts in trying to get my guitar loud enough without feedback.

Any opinions and/or experience would be appreciated, and this is for live not recording. Also, it's not a full band situation. It's an acoustic type of situation with 1 or 2 acoustic guitars, a couple mics, and maybe some conga drums (that are mic'ed).

I do not own an I-beam or a PWM. But I have read a lot about both and I think the PWM gets better reviews than the I-beam. Some say the I-beam can be muddy, others say it's great. Getting the location on the I-beam correct seems to be critical. And no so critical for the PWM.

After all my reading, it boils down to this for me...I plan to get a PWM for one of mine soon.
    R.I.P. TAH & Dak

I have both in different guitars. I like the Ibeam better
      "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

Thanks for the replies so far.

I just ordered the K&K PWM. I don't want to take the chance with th iBeam when I know the K&K sound good already.

I really like my K&K Pure Western. It's wonderful for recording and when it goes through a mixer, it's outstanding.

Guess it's too late to really comment now, but I would've put in a vote for the iBeam. I've heard nothing but good things about them and I've got a friend that uses one and it sounds good. I wouldnt've gone for a mic, just because it limits how much you can move around on stage...feedback's always an issue too.
            Guitars: Seagull S6+CW, Epiphone LP Standard, Ovation CU247, Gretsch G5120, Seagull S12 (w/ JJB Prestige 330), Martin GPCPA3 Mandolins: Mid-Missouri M-2, WWII-era Octave MandolinAmps: Fender Princeton Chorus, Marshall AVT50H/AVT412, Crate VC120HEffects: EBow > AKG Wireless > Boss TU-2 > Boss PH-3 > EHX Doctor Q > Dunlop 535 Wah > Boss OS-2 > Boss EQ-20 > Boss CH-1 > Boss NS-2 > Boss RV-3
            LHGCC Participant ~ Jimmy Caper

You went with a WINNER....
              My Myspace Page