my new acoustic amp

swing4u

• Members

I just got a AAD cub acoustic amp designed by Phil Jones and it's sweeet... perfect size(very small and 11 lbs), loud enough for low volume gigs on it's own and a direct out for bigger venues. Seems to have a real hi-fi sound, great signal to noise ratio. Any other cub users out there?

• Members

I've heard about those, but I haven't heard one. I'd love to have something that compact, but I'd need something with at least two inputs (git/vox).

Not that I'm knocking my Schertler Unico. It's only 30lbs and I've got the gigbag, but those Cubs are ... what? ... 10lbs?

Happy New Amp Day!

I can't recall what git you have? What pickup are you using for it?

• Members

I didn't get the Schertler pup either ... what is it? $300+ for the pup?!?! I keep reading wonderful things about them and I've seen some vids using them that sound cool, but the price is just too dear.

Schatten on my Gitane D500, and I run it through a LR Baggs PARA DI. I initially ordered the Schatten Preamp DI, but I couldn't tell the difference so I sent it back and kept the Baggs.

• Members
I just got a AAD cub acoustic amp designed by Phil Jones and it's sweeet... perfect size(very small and 11 lbs), loud enough for low volume gigs on it's own and a direct out for bigger venues. Seems to have a real hi-fi sound, great signal to noise ratio. Any other cub users out there?

The AAD cub amp is on my Christmas list for Santa. I've been intrigued with this amp since it came out several years ago. Were did you purchase your AAD cub amp from? Acoustic Guitar Magazine reviewed this amp (with video) in it's December 08 issue. Congrats. :)

• Members

I'd never heard about this amp... it looks really interesting, congrats!

Now... since I now have a guitar with a bigtone pickup and no proper acoustic amp, can you guys tell me everything I need to know about the amplification of an acoustic guitar?

- What's a DI box for?

- If I get an acoustic amp, will I still need a DI box?

- If my bigtone sounds like crap, what are some other good pickup options?

- would it be a good idea to mix the signals from two different pickups (bigtone/other)?

- ???

Thanks. :o

• Members

1. What's a DI box for?

2. If I get an acoustic amp, will I still need a DI box?

3. If my bigtone sounds like crap, what are some other good pickup options?

4. would it be a good idea to mix the signals from two different pickups (bigtone/other)?

5. ???

1. Direct Input. It'll get you directly into a PA without an amp. wiki

2. Not necessarily, but I use my LR Baggs PARA DI with everything. My Schatten pup is passive, so I need the Baggs as a preamp.

3. You're gonna like the Bigtone, so just deal with it. :o

4. Rather than two pups, you could try mixing the Bigtone with a mic in front of the acoustic.

5. Summertime is a cooler tune than Giant Steps.

Oh, and btw, I think you have that TomKat or GypsyKat or something? You were out driving around one day and it ended up in the boot of your auto. It'll do for an acoustic amp.

• Members

Thanks, Stack. :thu:

I haven't experimented with the Levoi and the Jazzkat yet. All I know so far is that the bigtone works. I own the Jazzkat Tomkat, though, which is not an acoustic amp (that'd be the GypsyKat, I think). It's rather dark-sounding, so I'm expecting lots of mids and quack with the bigtone. I'll really be able to experiment in January...

In all honesty, an acoustic amp isn't really on my shortlist... but then I did not know that I could have a very good one for half the price of an AER60... I am now intrigued.

*blip* this forum. :o

• Members

How do you deal with volume with your passive system, BTW (pompe/solo?). Light/heavy right hand? volume/boost pedal? Volume/Gain settings on DI box? Amp settings?

I'm so used to having a volume knob on the guitar... :o

In any case, I'd like my acoustic rig to remain as basic and plug-and-play as possible. If it's too much hassle, I won't even bother with the "amplified acoustic" and will just play my archtop for anything that requires more volume than can be delivered by an acoustic.

Oooh, other thing I was wondering about... Henriksen Jazzamp's "Tweety" as an addition to my amp: an extra tweeter rather than a dedicated acoustic amp. The idea seems clever... anybody has any experience with these?

Archived