My live acoustic dilemma

PsychoGypsy

• Members

Hey

Basically I need something that can handle vocals and acoustic guitar. If I go with an acoustic amp, I'll get the SWR California Blonde. Originally, this was my plan, but after playing a couple shows with a Samson Expedition PA unit, I'm starting to think that anything without two speakers isn't really enough. What do you guys think is the best setup for a live acoustic guitar/vocal? A good amp with mic and guitar inputs, like the California Blonde... or a small PA system, sort of like the Samson? My price range just needs to be comparable to the California Blonde. My guitar uses a Fishman Rare Earth humbucking pickup, if that makes any difference...

• Members

If you can afford the Blonde, you can afford a 4- or 6-channel Carvin PA...people who've never used Carvin don't like 'em, because other folks who've never used 'em say crap about 'em...folks who earn their living w/ Carvin PA gear (in my case, over 35 years) swear by 'em!

I'd go w/ this 6-channel set-up...you may get a playing partner or two down the line!

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=SYS2

Not as sexy as a huge PA rig, but much easier to haul around and set-up. :idea:

And, for acoustic guitar and voice, there's nothing better than Carvin. :)

• Members

The guitar player in my band uses a CaliBlonde. We also often use his PA, which is a Carvin. A point in choice may be adaptability.

The California is a great solid, powerful amp, and you can do a lot with it. I have often thought that with a small mixer in the second channel, it would be more than adequate to cover a lot of our jobs. However, if it's pole mounted, as is often necessary, the control panel is out of your reach. If you plan to gig with others sometime in the future, I'd go with a decent PA. Speakers up, controls within reach.

As stated, I have had experience with Carvins, and they are good. They have been very accessible for any customer service problems, and that counts for a lot. No complaints. I'm also fond of Peaveys and Yamahas.

Point being, what do you see yourself doing in a couple of years? If you'll be a solo or playing with/behind another band, the Blonde is a good choice. If playing solo and/or using sidemen, a PA may give you more flexibility in the long run. What kind of venues will you be playing? If you have to get the speak off the ground to cover a joint, a PA may be the best choice.

So, my opinion, solo=California Blonde, ensemble=PA.

• Members

Go with acoustic amp. Better portability, ease of use and sound great.

Well which should a solo performer get, an amp or PA? :poke:

I'm only asking b/c I have the same question as the OP. The Carvin that TAH mentioned does look pretty nice.

When should one make the decision to move up from an amp to a PA? I'm sure it all has to do with room size.

• Members

I have both, but I'll use my PA alone, or my amp with the PA, but not the amp alone.

A PA has much more versatility, not least of which is speaker placement options, factor in channels,dedicated channel strips and stereo panning capability and I'm more inclined to go with the PA and use the amp as a monitor.

I have a 500 watt per channel alto powered mixer, 2 passive JBL Eons, 2 alto 12'' speakers with horns, and a 250watt gen 1 loudbox.

That pretty much covers all situations....smaller venues I can use one channel front of house and the other channel split as a monitor, with the 12's.

Bigger venues I can use the 15's and use my loudbox as a monitor.

Outdoors I can use the loubox as the bulk of my guitar sound, run an xlr out of it's D.I. out into a PA channel for dispertion,without cranking it as the amp is doing the volume work somewhat, and put my vocals through the PA without driving the guitar so hard through it that it's into clipping and muddying up my vox.

So far so good.

• Members

Well which should a solo performer get, an amp or PA? :poke:

I'm only asking b/c I have the same question as the OP. The Carvin that TAH mentioned does look pretty nice.

When should one make the decision to move up from an amp to a PA? I'm sure it all has to do with room size.

If you can only afford one, get a PA...anything an acoustic amp is good for, the PA mixer and one cab'll also do! :idea:

The only time I use my acoustic amp by itself is when I'm playing solo at a nursing home, a VERY small cafe (under 25 in audience) or busking. Anything bigger requires a PA for optimum sound, and that's important...I don't work cheaply, so I feel I owe the venue/patron the very highest quality sound.

• Members

For me, the decision between acoustic/vocals amp or P.A. was all about portability. I live in the city and don't have a car, so I needed something that was an all-in-one unit that I could throw in a taxi or even cart onto the subway and then just throw into the corner of my room when I was done. My Carvin AG100D is just the ticket for that.

But if you know you'll need something more powerful and you are pretty sure you can handle having a couple additional pieces of equipment, a P.A. is a better solution for you.

Ellen

• Members

After hearing the Fishman SoloAmp today at my local store (I was Taylor shopping:)) I don't think I could ever consider a traditional rig again for vocals and acoustic guitar. That thing was indescribably awesome-sounding, though it's close to a $1,000 (my store sells it for less than Sweetwater, below):

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SoloAmp/

• Members

Anybody know anything about the Fender Passport? It has portability goin for it...

Unfortunately, that's all it has going for it. Every one I've ever heard or played through had an emaciated sound - very bright, as if it had no bass response at all, and no sonic depth to speak of. Maybe they've improved over the years, but I'd keep looking.

• 2 months later...

Archived