What is a good electric dreadnought sub $800?

aschreiber2010

• Members

I have been looking around and was wondering what all of you guys thought.

so far i have been considering the taylor 110ce, 120e, and Martin DCX1KE and DCX1E.

p.s. what differance in sound would a sitka top (DCXK1E) have between a spruce top (DCX1E)

p.p.s. and what does it mean by a "sitka spruce top" on the taylors.

• Members

Yeah a Guild GAD series should definitely be on your list. There are some nice Takamine's in that price range as well. Here is some advice: Don't make up your mind before you actually go play them! You might be surprised what your ear likes the sound of!

• Members

Sitka is a variety of spruce, from northern Europe, I believe. Some folks like it's tone better and it's said to be stronger.

Maybe, but I know that a number of builders actually acquire their supply from the Pacific Northwest (US/Canada.)

BTW - look for a used Larriv

• Members

Sitka is a variety of spruce, from northern Europe, I believe. Some folks like it's tone better and it's said to be stronger.

I stand corrected: Sitka is an North American variety of spruce, found from N. California to Alaska, from the coastal waters, to about 60 mi. inland. Go to pantheonguitars.com/tonewoods.htm for a brief, concise discourse on tonewoods by Dana Bourgeois.

• Members

Cedar barely hacks it as cabinets.

Spruce made howard hughes an airplane.

There's a huge difference, cedar isn't even a hardwood.

Ummm... neither is spruce. Hardwood trees are deciduous (ebony, maple, hickory, etc.) Softwoods are coniferous (spruce, pine, fir).

The terms hardwood and softwood are a bit of a misnomer anyway. Even balsa is a hardwood.

-A

Archived