I wonder...

NotDead

• Members

I googled and am confussed. I understand chromatic tuners but chromatic "tuning"? Thanks for explaining!

My understand of the term "chromatic" is every note of the scale - all 12 including the sharps and flats. So I guess what the OP is saying is they would start with some note on the lowest string, say C and go C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G yadda yadda. The way the strings are layed out it wouldn't work as I tried to point out - each pair or "course" is so close together that you could not pick individual strins. So when you played the first "course" you would get C and C#, the second would be the D and D#... kind of like hitting the two keys on a piano next to each other (white and black)

Seems like a bad idea to me

• Members

I remember reading about a 12 string tuning that involved courses tuned to thirds and fourths. You could play harmony lines with yourself.

IIRC Jimmy Bryant did exactly this on Stratosphere Boogie. Danny Gatton (who didn't know that's what had been done) figured out those lines on a regular sixer ... part of the reason he developed those wicked double-stop runs.

Archived