Do you have an addictive personality or does it just apply to guitar ownership?

Abando

• Members

I have an addictive personality. First revealed itself when I was young. Would deliver papers during the week and spend all my money the next two days playing video games at the local stores(Donkey Kong, Frogger, Pac-Man, Galaga, Space Invaders, etc.). Would ride my bike in snow and sometimes ice just to get to those stores, movie theaters and restaurants that had those video games.

As an adult, my addictive personality reveals itself in music CDs, karate equipment, home video games, guitars, educational dvds and assorted "adult"

activities.

My guitar collection just goes hand in hand with everything else in my life.

Does your guitar collection reveal your general personality?

Abando

• Members

No, my git collection doesn't reveal anything about my personality, other than the fact that I love great sounding gits. As for the rest of the personality, nobody gets a clue anymore. But yeah, I'm addicted to big Martin gits and outstanding 12-ers.

• Members

I do not have an addictive personality.

I conducted a certain amount of research and ran various experiments with controlled substances in my youth. (my "youth" continued until about age 30.)

Note: statute of limitations renders this information inactionable.

I smoked cigarettes on and off for many years until about 10 years ago. I enjoy the occasional drink even to this day; but only on weekends- just a single glass of red wine with my evening meal, sometimes (just weekends) a gin and tonic in summer or solitary bourbon and water in winter.

I prefer to think of my guitar purchases as simply the manifestation of my focused concentration and continuing adult education and advanced studies.

ahem.

• Members

I am an obsessively addictive personality with a short attention span. I don't do much of anything half-way. Many of my recreational pursuits end up as intense "flash in the pan" endeavors. I have managed to remain involved with guitars, motorcycles and hunting for all of my adult life. Beyond that, other endeavors have come and gone.

• Members

I like to look at nice guitars but not really buy them...

I am satisfied with my meager collection and use them a lot but I do obsess over music. All I really use is my Taylor 114 or my Sigma/Martin dread. I feel it's more about how you play than what you play with. I mean..I have an $89 1970's Univox Strat copy that I use if needed and it gets played through a simple Peavey Classic 30 tube amp. Anything more than that gets confusing to me...:idk:

• Members

I wouldn't say my collection reveals much about me, but I plead guilty to being prone to addiction and obsession--although in a highly selective sort of way.

I think what reveals my obsession with guitars and guitar-based music/songwriting is how much time I spend doing it or at least thinking about it. As in, pretty much 24 hours a day--even in dreams.

• Members

the whole "addictive personality" thing is just a made up concept that people use to justify irresponsible behavior. your personality didn't force you to go buy four new guitars this weekend, buy video games, or down that bottle of Yager.

There is a whole body of generally accepted medical science that would disagree with you. Certainly, you are correct in many cases (including perhaps, my own) but to deny the very existence of such a disorder from a clinical standpoint, is as irresponsible as the behavior you describe.

• Members

the whole "addictive personality" thing is just a made up concept that people use to justify irresponsible behavior. your personality didn't force you to go buy four new guitars this weekend, buy video games, or down that bottle of Yager.

LOL

I can think of more than one person whose personality would make me down a bottle of Jack Black real quick, but at least it's not my own personality. :p

• Members

Having a passion for acoustic music and Acoustic Guitars, does not constitute having OCD, and or an Addictive Personality. It is just what it is, "A Passion"

As long as it does not take away from the quality of life you live.

If you all ready rob your spouse and children of the things in life that they need and or want, to buy extra guitars (not the one or ones you already have) but the ones you just buy to say you have them. Then you should take a long look at what you are doing.

• Members

AAAHHH...Ha! I knew it! It was the devil wasn't it?! The devil made me do it! That wasn't a dream at all. Man, that dude was ugly. I knew
I
couldn't have spent that much money on guitars.
I'm
just not that way.

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou....

beem trying to tell you guys for years-

music is satanic.

• Members

AAAHHH...Ha! I knew it! It was the devil wasn't it?! The devil made me do it! That wasn't a dream at all. Man, that dude was ugly. I knew
I
couldn't have spent that much money on guitars.
I'm
just not that way.

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou....

Robert Johnson meets Flip Wilson at the crossroads?

• Members

There is a whole body of generally accepted medical science that would disagree with you. Certainly, you are correct in many cases (including perhaps, my own) but to deny the very existence of such a disorder from a clinical standpoint, is as irresponsible as the behavior you describe.

actually there isn't. maybe there is some evidence from the psychology field, but psychology has contributed very little to society since its existence (ask if you want an explanation of this statement). of course some people are going to turn to substance abuse; they are the depressed people, the unhappy, those with low self esteem, and those who are generally unsatisfied with life in some way. we already have clinical names for these people such as "depressed", "manics", "bi-polar", etc, which makes the term "addictive personality" completely unnecessary.

what i meant by my post is that i have seen many people blame their actions on their so called "addictive personality". frankly, if you are an alcoholic, or go out and max out your credit cards at IKEA, your actions cannot be brushed aside simply because you have an addictive personality. the same goes for people who say, "well i want to quit doing drugs, but its just too hard with my addictive personality". its just another way for people to avoid responsibility for their actions or manipulate the system. what about things like medical marijuana and the hordes of young adults who must have it for their "aching back pain", and the soccer moms who pop the Vicodin because they are "stressed". Everyone claims that there is some "medical" term behind their distress and thus are entitled to all sorts of unnecessary medicine and blame dodging. my point is that this causes people to play the victim instead of working to fix their problems.

I didn't mean to take this thread off topic, because I know most are only joking about their "addictive personalities", but i just had to chime in on a more serious note. Cheers. :thu:

• Members

actually there isn't. maybe there is some evidence from the psychology field, but psychology has contributed very little to society since its existence (ask if you want an explanation of this statement). of course some people are going to turn to substance abuse; they are the depressed people, the unhappy, those with low self esteem, and those who are generally unsatisfied with life in some way. we already have clinical names for these people such as "depressed", "manics", "bi-polar", etc, which makes the term "addictive personality" completely unnecessary.

what i meant by my post is that i have seen many people blame their actions on their so called "addictive personality". frankly, if you are an alcoholic, or go out and max out your credit cards at IKEA, your actions cannot be brushed aside simply because you have an addictive personality. the same goes for people who say, "well i want to quit doing drugs, but its just too hard with my addictive personality". its just another way for people to avoid responsibility for their actions or manipulate the system. what about things like medical marijuana and the hordes of young adults who must have it for their "aching back pain", and the soccer moms who pop the Vicodin because they are "stressed". Everyone claims that there is some "medical" term behind their distress and thus are entitled to all sorts of unnecessary medicine and blame dodging. my point is that this causes people to play the victim instead of working to fix their problems.

I didn't mean to take this thread off topic, because I know most are only joking about their "addictive personalities", but i just had to chime in on a more serious note. Cheers.
:thu:

Pretty broad brush, you have there. Of course, your examples could be endless and valid. My only point was that there are those who legitimately suffer from certain conditions that manifest in obsessive behavior. Not everyone lacking the strength of will we expect of adults, is a lazy, unworthy and malingering societal leach as you seem to imply.

And yes, there is more "joking" here than serious introspection. ;)

• Members

My only point was that there are those who legitimately suffer from certain conditions that manifest in obsessive behavior.

yes, and as i already stated, there are already legitimate and researched illnesses that those people have. addictive personality is a symptom of greater problems in your life, and is not in any way a disease or a condition or whatever you want to call it.

• Members

so, when for example the tobacco companies admit that their products are addictive and that a chemical change takes place in the brain after just a few cigarettes and you begin to produce more nicotine receptors, this is all a bunch of hooey; is that it?

Recognizing that a tendency to addiction runs in families, and the recognition and acceptance that one is addicted, are not to be used as excuses; rather as a step toward treatment, abstinence and sobriety.

They empirical evidence is so overwhelming, and extends so far beyond simply the field of psychology as to be undeniable.

Whereas, anybody using any "excuse" for their behavior, irrespective of what that excuse is, is well, inexcusable.

• Members

so, when for example the tobacco companies admit that their products are addictive and that a chemical change takes place in the brain after just a few cigarettes and you begin to produce more nicotine receptors, this is all a bunch of hooey; is that it?

Recognizing that a tendency to addiction runs in families, and the recognition and acceptance that one is addicted, are not to be used as excuses; rather as a step toward treatment, abstinence and sobriety.

They empirical evidence is so overwhelming, and extends so far beyond simply the field of psychology as to be undeniable.

Whereas, anybody using any "excuse" for their behavior, irrespective of what that excuse is, is well, inexcusable.

an addictive product or substance is entirely different from the concept of an addictive personality trait, which is what this discussion is about. and yes it is important to recognize that a person can become addicted, but it is equally as important to recognize that a person becomes addicted not because he has an addictive personality, but because he has larger problems in his life and the product itself has addictive properties (that would trigger any person, "addictive personality or not)". the variables that determine the probability of addiction are external factors (depression, sadness, feeling unfulfilled, etc) and not the notion of addictive personality.

• Members

an addictive product is entirely different from the concept of an addictive personality trait, which is what this discussion is about. and yes it is important to recognize that a person can become addicted, but it is equally as important to recognize that a person becomes addicted not because he has an addictive personality, but because he has larger problems in his life and the product itself has addictive properties (that would trigger any person). the variables that determine the probability of addiction are external factors (depression, sadness, feeling unfillfilled, etc) and not the notion of addictive personality.

Unquestionably the word "addiction" is over-used and abused these days.

This thread is a perfect example of that.

I know what the topic is about, hence my remarks: [Recognizing that a tendency to addiction runs in families, and the recognition and acceptance that one is addicted, are not to be used as excuses; rather as a step toward treatment, abstinence and sobriety.] This is backed up by science, indeed most all of the latest science and treatment methodologies, such as Hazelden.

Admitting and understanding that one has a tendency toward addiction is paramount to getting clean. You mentioned depression. People who drink to excess are at higher risk for clinical depression, and those who are diagnosed as clinically depressed are at increased risk of abusing or becoming addicted to alcohol. Unraveling all this in treatment takes a lot of time and is quite complex. There is a genetic component to this. It is widely accepted that people of Irish descent, and Native Americans have a predisposition to addiction. It goes way beyond sadness and or feeling unfulfilled. Dopamine receptors in humans are not static across the species. People react differently on a chemical level to stimulus.

To say that as a result of how one's brain works and how it processes certain chemicals which places him/her at higher risk then qualifies this person as an addictive personality may be very simplistic, but not necessarily entirely incorrect.

Can it make you want to buy more guitars? I don't think so.

• Members

Wow, what a cerebral conversation. :)

I don't have an addictive personality, I do however have a deep appreciation and a passion for music. Music is apart of my being and it's never not been apart of my daily existence, it brings me great joy and peace of mind. My guitar playing (Jan. 09 ten years) and the guitars I own is a homage to my passion.

Archived