Tell me why I need a 12 string?

TN.Frank

• Members

I like 12 strings but find most of them hard to play. The only one I have tried in the past few years that was nice to play and sounded great was the Martin DX12 model like Samilyn has. I even tried it against Simon & Patricks and more expensive Takamine models and the Martin DX12 was the sure winner in tone, intonation and playability.

I have to admit..the best 12 string I have played EVER was an Ovation Adamas model. Amazing playability and excellent sound considering it's body.

• Members

Because you'll keep GASsing for one until you get your hands on one.

That's just it, I have no GAS AT ALL for one. Just saw it and know that the poor guy hasn't moved it in months, thought it'd be a good way to get rid of my electric, especially since I got rid of the amp.

I've played em' in the past, nice sound, like playing thru a chorus pedal.

So, do ya' tune em' like a mando where both sets of strings are the same pitch or are they tuned off pitch with each other?

• Members

Well, it doesn't matter anyway, he's not interested in a trade. No big deal, just thought I could get out of my electric and into another acoustic. I'd really rather have a 6 string if I had my druthers but I guess a 12 would be ok except for string change day,LOL.

• Members

Nobody can answer your original question better than you.

I've had one since high school and it's all I've ever owned since, so my opinion can certainly be viewed as biased.

I don't understand the string change dilemma though. Just because there's 12 doesn't mean it's any harder. It just takes a little longer. And so what's wring with that? Are we so busy we only have time to change 6? Or is it just the drudgery of changing strings? If that's the case, why play the instrument at all? Go play a tuba.

I enjoy my 12-string and I love every aspect of it. But only you can decide why you need one.

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Members

Look for the usual issues, neck bow, bridge lift, yata,yata. I hope that you enjoy the process of tuning.

Don't have a clue about tuning a 12. I just thought if I can't sell my electric that maybe I could trade for a 12 since I've alreay got two 6 strings and a resonator on the way a 12 is about the only acoustic that I Don't have. No real GAS for one, just thought it'd be the next logical guitar to get.

• Members

Well, it doesn't matter anyway, he's not interested in a trade. No big deal, just thought I could get out of my electric and into another acoustic. I'd really rather have a 6 string if I had my druthers but I guess a 12 would be ok except for string change day,LOL.

Now ya gotta find nuther one... the hunt is on!

• Members

Now ya gotta find nuther one... the hunt is on!

Not really. I just put the electric on LSN for trade for an acoustic, 6 string, 12 string, dosen't really matter, just figure I'd get more use out of another acoustic instead of an electric with NO amp,LOL.

Archived