OT(kinda): E-check and paypal?

NotDead

• Members

Okay, when I pay online, I generally use paypal, which withdraws from my checking account via e-check. I'm getting two dreadnoughts from MF for $90 total. I want to use e-check and paypal, but it takes 3-5 business days to clear. Does this mean I can't get the discounts or that I can? I e-mailed MF, and I'll use this if I can. Otherwise, I'll borrow a credit card and pay them back.

Anybody have any info on this?

• Members

what discounts are you referring to? i used to use the stupid echeck thing and everything always worked out ok, even if it took forever. then i bought something using my credit card through paypal and now payments are instant again. :)

love,

eor

• Members

I'm not understanding the problem. My Paypal account is set up to take the money directly from my checking account, too. Although I do have a debit card associated with that checking account. I buy a lot of stuff using Paypal and normally the merchandise is shipped out the same or the next day. I assume they got their money or they wouldn't ship. Even when I've sold stuff, the money's there immediately and I can transfer it to my checking account. I think it's as fast as a debit or credit card transaction as far as getting the funds from the buyer's Paypal account to the seller's. Does an e-check get physically mailed to the seller? Maybe if the recipient doesn't have a Paypal account there's nowhere to transfer the money so Paypal mails them a check? I would think that a business accepting Paypal would have an account, though. Even when I bought my Larrivee off Craigslist, the seller gave me an email address, I "sent" the money on Paypal, he acknowledged receipt and shipped the next morning. I agreed to pay an extra $20 or so to cover the fee Paypal deducted in order for him to receive that much in a single month. (But he covered shipping so it was all good.)

So what's a Paypal e-check?

• Members

My understanding of PayPal is that you can select to pay by debiting your bank account, by e-check, or by your credit card, which you have on file with Paypal. Regardless of how you select to fund a transaction, it's backed up by your credit card. If you don't have funds in your account, they'll just bill your credit card for it. I think they call it backup funding. Given that, I wouldn't understand why a PayPal payment would be delayed more than a few hours at most (other than what they do to noobs on Ebay). I wouldn't imagine that anyone who will take a PayPal payment would even know or care how it was funded. Am I missing something?

Archived