Recommend an acoustic pickup - not piezo

stormin1155

• Members

I'd like to install a pickup in my guitar, and don't want a under bridge piezo. What are some other good options? I'm on a budget... under $100?

Stew-Mac has this internal GHS mic. I'm guessing they may have feedback issues.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Pickups:_Guitar,_acoustic/GHS_Acoustic_Soundhole_Microphone.html

Or how about this one?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Pickups:_Guitar,_Acoustic/L_R_Baggs_iBeam_Transducer.html

Or this one?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Pickups:_Guitar,_acoustic/Seymour_Duncan_Acoustic_Tube_Pickup.html

Other suggestions?

• Members

If you need a pickup, depending on you gigs, I would say K&K. I have one in my guitars. It sounds pretty good, but I almost never use it because I mostly play in an acoustic in a duo or trio with a light drummer so I can get away with just micing my guitar...

• Members

Apparently when you say "not piezo," what you really mean is "not UST." The Baggs iBeam is a piezo pickup and you're considering it. So are the K&K pickups like min7b5 recommended. The difference is that they stick to the soundboard instead of being located under the saddle. The Pure Western or Pure Western Mini would be in your price range.

If you're going to consider a magnetic soundhole pickup like the Seymour Duncan, I'd say look at the Fishman Neo-D. You should be able to get the single coil version for around $60 or the humbucking version for about $80.

• Members

Eric,

I clicked on your site and listened to the 6 tracks allowed ,3 on each CD, Really was quite amazed. I just found the music, subtle, inspired, relaxing, I guess what got me most was the fact your CDs are just you witout much processing, Actually, I cheated and played around with the EQ and compression while I was listening, but no one would notice, is the top CD the newist, it seems to be a better recording, or just different, i noticed some tiny bits of distortion on the bottom cd, would have loved to have heard God Bless The Child, great tune. I was interested that you mice your guitar, how long have you been micing? Is it much different than miking? (Sorry, could not miss the stupid comment), enjoyed the time on your site, we really have some talented folk around here.

Jim

• Members

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. As DeepEnd pointed out, I think I may have my terminology wrong. I don't want an under-saddle pickup, and I have always associated those with piezo. If there are piezo pickups that are not under-saddle and give a nice warm, natural tone, that's OK.

• Members

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but I'm looking for a good budget acoustic pickup for my Epiphone EJ-200. Its a player guitar and I'm not looking to spend 300 dollars on a pickup for a 300 dollar guitar unless you guys think it would be a really good idea. Whats a pickup, preferably under the saddle type, that's cost effective and will help me cut through a full band?

• Members

I recently got the LR Baggs M1 soundhole pickup. I use it in my Taylor GS8 and Martin DM, and the sound is incredible. I'm a Daniel Lanois fan, and discovered he uses it exclusively now. Poles are easily adjustable. I keep the cable running out the soundhole (don't want to install endpin) so I can use it in several guitars, depending on which I want to record. It also responds nicely to drop tunings. The only control on it is volume. For recording I have it set to between 8 and 9.

Here's a page that tests a vast array of acoustic pickups. I bought the M1 based on what I heard on this page (actually, what my neighbor heard... he is a sound engineer and suggested the M1):

http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptest.htm

Archived