Just discovered Buck Owens

Tag

• Members

Guy has a cool voice, and I'm digging on those vocal harmonies! Can't make out the 12 string in the mix though, I'm guessing it wasn't amplified whatsoever...

[YOUTUBE]g1Ygm9bvjUE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]UkNsqdGm0wo[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Buck & Don Rich! :thu:

Don Rich was not only Buck's best friend but was also the man behind those cool telecaster licks and high harmonies. Don Rich died at a very early age and Buck said he was totally devastated and never the same again after Rich's death.

These men are Country Music legends.

P.S. It looks like a Gibson 12 string.

• Members

This kind of reminds me of my JR Cash discovery a few months ago. I mean, I've known about the man all of my life and knew a lot of his songs but I didn't really come to appreciate him until I saw "Walk the Line" and then watched a couple three Bios on him. I wished I'd have "discovered" him sooner. He, like Buck, was truly a great Country music tallent.

• Members

I love Dwight Yoacum, He is the epitomy of the Bakersfield sound. Well, I think he recently made an album, "Dwight sings Buck" Haven't checked it out. Personally, never got into Buck myself. Of the whole country scene ,my faves are Vince Gill, Patty Loveless, Radney Foster, Emmy Lou Harris, (her band ,Richard Bennett, Albert Lee, Charlie Daniels, Brad Paisley(this guy is an incredible tele picker), his new album "Play" is something that I have been waiting for, for a long time. 80% instrumental, with lots of talented guests like BB King, Brent Mason, Vince Gill, Albert Lee and many more. Also, Steve Wariner, Clint Black, Gretchen Wilson. Oh, a few more, Alan Jackson, Linda Ronstadt(from the 70s), Here are some new Paisley tracks to listen too,

http://www.amazon.com/Play-Brad-Paisley/dp/B001D25M5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1227821083&sr=1-1

• Members

I love Dwight Yoacum, He is the epitomy of the Bakersfield sound. Well, I think he recently made an album, "Dwight sings Buck" Haven't checked it out. Personally, never got into Buck myself.

Well, do check it out! Dwight Sings Buck is an excellent album. :thu: It may make a convert of you.

• Members

. . . Personally, never got into Buck myself. Of the whole country scene ,my faves are Vince Gill, Patty Loveless, Radney Foster, Emmy Lou Harris, (her band ,Richard Bennett, Albert Lee, Charlie Daniels,
Brad Paisley
(this guy is an incredible tele picker), . . .

I never got into him either. I always thought he was the musical equivalent of a "hack," whatever that is. I liked "Tall Dark Stranger" and a few others but stuff like "Ain't It Amazing, Gracie?" was just plain bad. Mom had a Christmas album of his and there were a couple of instrumentals that he supposedly composed that were okay but I never cared for his lyrics. Brad Paisley, OTOH, is a great performer and songwriter. I've been a fan of his since I heard his duet of "When I Get Where I'm Going" with Dolly Parton.

• Members

Buck's an Icon. Dwight doesn't turn my crank, but nothing against him. Great songs, arrangements etc. But Dwight's like, third generation. Time to look into Webb Pierce. Johnny Horton. Lefty Frizell. The Louvin Brothers. Johnny Burnette. Sons of the Pioneers (The Farr Brothers cuts). Louis Prima. Phil Harris. Santo & Johnny. Howard Tate. Elton Britt. Jimmy Reed. Anyone and everyone who recorded under the monikers "Chubby" or "Slim" between 1948 and 1964. Get your milk from the cow's teat, not the grocery. You'll be happy you did.

• Members

Mmmm, boy! Calve's spit. That's the best. Sorry, the visual of getting milk from the udder of a cow after the calf has had its fill just doesn't warrant the banning of pasteurization and homogenization quite yet for me. Ignorance is a very reassuring thing sometimes. Urban cowboy here.

• Members
Buck's an Icon. Dwight doesn't turn my crank, but nothing against him. Great songs, arrangements etc. But Dwight's like, third generation. Time to look into Webb Pierce. Johnny Horton.
Lefty Frizell.
The Louvin Brothers. Johnny Burnette. Sons of the Pioneers (The Farr Brothers cuts). Louis Prima. Phil Harris. Santo & Johnny. Howard Tate. Elton Britt. Jimmy Reed. Anyone and everyone who recorded under the monikers "Chubby" or "Slim" between 1948 and 1964. Get your milk from the cow's teat, not the grocery. You'll be happy you did.

:thu: Lefty is another all-time great that I particularly like.

• Members

Lots of good stuff on HeeHaw. Roy Clark, Buck Owens, Archie Campbell, Junior Samples. Remember Grandpa Jones and String Beans.

Remembering some of those guys reminds me of watching the Flatt & Scruggs show, the Porter Waggoner show, and the Stonemans on Saturday night when I was a kid.

• Members

Yup. Very cool git. He played it a lot on HeeHaw. Dang...I still love that zany show.

Yeah that TV show HeeHaw. A bunch of county bumpkins with bad jokes, but had some great guitar pickers on that show including his backup band the Buckaroos. He played with Roy Clark on that show, Owens on guitar and Clark on banjo.

• Members

Lots of good stuff on HeeHaw. Roy Clark, Buck Owens, Archie Campbell, Junior Samples. Remember Grandpa Jones and String Beans.

Remembering some of those guys reminds me of watching the Flatt & Scruggs show, the Porter Waggoner show, and the Stonemans on Saturday night when I was a kid.

I dunno about your cable TV lineup, but if you get RFD-TV you can still catch some re-runs of those old shows on that network.

Archived