Totally on-topic electronics n0b question..

spruce goose

• Members

OK 'totally' might be pushing it, but it's partially pertinent. I need to solder a cable connection on my bass (lets say it's a partially acoustic bass, eh?), but I don't have the tools or any experience with soldering. I know it's trivial, but can anybody suggest a good soldering tool, and some basic tips on how to do this (e.g. the best way to extend the wire if it's too short, or anything else a complete n0b wouldn't know).

ThX

Desoldering.jpg

• Members

I'm no expert, but I surmise a soldering iron and solder would be your best soldering tools :).

Soldering stuff together isn't really all that hard---I taught myself on some old guitar cables. As for extending a wire that's too short, I would just twist another wire onto the end of the first and extend it that way...maybe a little solder to keep them wound. Btw, sorry to sound rude, but I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. What do you mean by "solder a cable connection"? Is their a pickup already installed in the bass? Are you installing one?

• Members

I'm no expert, but I surmise a soldering iron and solder would be your best soldering tools
:)

Soldering stuff together isn't really all that hard---I taught myself on some old guitar cables. As for extending a wire that's too short, I would just twist another wire onto the end of the first and extend it that way...maybe a little solder to keep them wound. Btw, sorry to sound rude, but I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. What do you mean by "solder a cable connection"? Is their a pickup already installed in the bass? Are you installing one?

I don't know the formal jargon. It's that thingy that attaches the cable to the guitar. It's loose. I opened it up, and there is air between the guitar cable and the wire that goes to the pickups. I want to replace the air with a combination of wire and solder. :idea:

PS. I meant to ask what precise soldering tool is good.. I'm guessing home depot would be a place to look. :idea:

• Members

As far as soldering irons, I don't know if there's a top-of-the-line model that's any better than other ones. Radio Shack would probably be a better bet than Home Depot though. I know for a fact that they sell solder (the thinner it is, the quicker it melts, btw) and I'm almost certain they sell irons as well.

It seems a bit odd that the pickup wire would just disappear like that...is there a piece of wire inside the bass somewhere? If not, when you're at Radio Shack, try to find some wire that's the same guage as what's in the guitar and buy some. Then, I'd just twist the new wire into the old one and solder the end to the cable jack.

• Members

As far as soldering irons, I don't know if there's a top-of-the-line model that's any better than other ones. Radio Shack would probably be a better bet than Home Depot though. I know for a fact that they sell solder (the thinner it is, the quicker it melts, btw) and I'm almost certain they sell irons as well.

It seems a bit odd that the pickup wire would just disappear like that...is there a piece of wire inside the bass somewhere? If not, when you're at Radio Shack, try to find some wire that's the same guage as what's in the guitar and buy some. Then, I'd just twist the new wire into the old one and solder the end to the cable jack.

The wire hasn't actually disappeared. It simply detached. A common occurance. I might not even need to extend it. I simply worded it that way to keep the readers on their toes. Nobody wants to hear about a detached wire.

• Members

A basic 35 or so watt pencil iron is not expensive from rat shack or some similar store. You'll need some solder. Make sure it is ROSIN CORE ELECTRONIC SOLDER, and not acid core plumbing solder!

You could begin by looking at this how to solder lesson. Tip: You need to practice and learn on something you won't screw up too bad. :thu:

• Members

If you can find something to practice soldering on---an old, broken guitar cable or just a few pieces of wire---I'd just try it a few times and once you think you've got the hang of it, go for the guitar.

+1

It looks easy, and it really is, but you do need a few practice runs first. And I think I got my first soldering iron at Wal-Mart. It was cheap and did what I wanted it to do and lasted for several years. (I mean, hey, how much soldering does anyone really do? ;))

• 3 weeks later...

Archived