Chord voicings, shapes, and progressions book?

Broadus

• Members

I received an email from Acoustic Guitar Bookstore touting Acoustic Guitar Chord and Harmony Basics. When it comes to guitar, basics is where I am. :).

Anyway, here's the blurb:

Here's a book that teaches you the real-world chord voicings, shapes and progressions used by today's top acoustic players. Not a chord encyclopedia, Acoustic Guitar Chord and Harmony Basics shows you what you really need to know, and offers valuable tips and tricks to help you understand and master the sounds of bluegrass, blues, folk, rock and roots music. The accompanying CD features all of the examples played slowly and up to tempo.

Here's a "Look Inside" at Amazon.com.

This is something I'm interested in learning, but I don't know whether this book is the best way to learn it.

Do you have any ideas about this book, or is there another you'd suggest? Remember, I'm looking for basics. :)

Thanks,

Bill

• Members

Here's a
"Look Inside"
at Amazon.com.

This is something I'm interested in learning, but I don't know whether this book is the best way to learn it.

Do you have any ideas about this book, or is there another you'd suggest? Remember, I'm looking for basics.
:)

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill,

Two I would recommend are "Guitar Fretboard Workbook" by Barrett Tagliarino and "Guitar Method" by Hal Leonard. Both are very basic in the beginning and move to more advanced stuff. If you can learn the notes on the fretboard and basic chord construction it can get you through most anything. Hope that helps.

btw for progressions and keys, there is a great book called "probable chords" don't remember the author but i'm sure you can google it.

• Members

guitar method is actually a pretty good book. i had one when i first started. mel bay puts out some decent stuff, too. i have a chord encyclopedia that beats them all though, it's called "the guitarist's picture chord encyclopedia" by john pearse. it shows pictures of the fingering of the chords. it's my go to book. it was 20 bucks when i bought it but that was around 10 or so years ago. probably hasn't changed..

• Members

Power Tab has the most comprehensive chord dictionary I've ever seen, paper or software. It has a huge collection of voicings (126 for G major), a chord lookup feature, it plays the chords (MIDI), and has all kinds of options for narrowing down a chord search. It's freeware, and is worth the download/installation just for the dictionary (it's in the Tools menu). You can get it at www.power-tab.net.

• Members

i am using hal leonard with a teacher. it starts out easy enuf but suddenly gets much more involved than I could have handled without a teacher. get the best teacher you can afford. whatever book you use will actually be useful. if you really cant afford a teacher then try homespun.com for books with cds or dvds but musicmoose.com and spytunes.co.uk are very good and free

• Members

That series from Acoustic Guitar is pretty good. The preview didn't really get into much beyond the intro and the table of contents, so it's difficult to actually tell how it presents the material. From the table of contents, it looks like a good lay out.

As long as you put resource materials like that into real music, then it's a good thing.

Archived