Michael Martin

• Members

For me (in no particular order):

Stones (Neil Diamond)

Behind Blue Eyes (Pete Townshend)

If I Fell (Lennon/McCartney)

Thunder Road (Springsteen)

E-Bow the Letter (R.E.M.)

How 'bout you? What songs give you chills of fabulous full-body goodness and make you eternally grateful that you lived in the era of them? (horrendously awkward syntax acknowledged; it's late)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Play Me; Neil Diamond

Crow River Waltz; (someone besides Leo)

Stones; Neil Diamond

Nights in White Satin; Moody Blues

Lady; Kenny Rogers

And Elizabethtown; Michael Martin. A tune I play a lot. :) (I'm listening to it right now :) )

Yeah, I know that's 6 tunes, but it's hard to confine it to only 5.

• Members

Play Me; Neil Diamond

Crow River Waltz; (someone besides Leo)

Stones; Neil Diamond

Nights in White Satin; Moody Blues

Lady; Kenny Rogers

And Elizabethtown; Michael Martin. A tune I play a lot.
:)

Yeah, I know that's 6 tunes, but it's hard to confine it to only 5.

Whoa. Made my day! Or maybe year. Or years.

You remind me of how fantastic a song is "Nights in White Satin". I am further inspired to try that one out. I have a special place in my heart for 3/4 time songs.

I do not know of "Crow River Waltz"--but from the title, I'm guessing it's a 3/4 too. Must give it a listen!

• Members

Crow River is a special favorite of mine. Our own Freeman Keller did it for VOM not too long ago - was absolutely lovely.

I'd love to hear your version of Nights in White Satin.

I'm a sucker for 3/4 time songs.

I can still waltz in 4" heels and I do it frequently when listening to my fave tunes, albiet alone.

• Members

Crow River is a special favorite of mine. Our own Freeman Keller did it for VOM not too long ago - was absolutely lovely.

I'd love to hear your version of Nights in White Satin.

I'm a sucker for 3/4 time songs.

Well then I'm gonna go find FK's version straightaway. Does he sing?

And I'm steering my own thread off-topic, and I don't want to, because I really am keen on discovering what songs are embedded deep in the hearts of HCAG forumites--but last night I played a coffeehouse gig with my mando player who has been my playing partner much of '08. This time, we were joined by a fiddle player, and it turned out that the best songs for fiddle were my 3/4 songs, of which there are several. Somehow the fiddle just flows into those like a river to the sea. It was so cool. So cool. 24 hrs later I'm still buzzin' from the vibe.

• Members

Isely Brothers - It's Your Thing

Aretha Franklin - Chain of Fools

Marvin Gaye - Got To Give It Up

great list, Trina. I would feel right @ home in your record collection. anything by Aretha or Marvin Gaye is good by me. Isleys were so great. Gave Jimi his start.

Here's mine. all *songs* with vocals and lyrics and that kind of stuff (which as some of you may know is a bit foreign to me).

Paul Simon- St. Judy's Comet

Bobbie Gentry- Ode to Billy Joe

James Taylor- You've Got a Friend (Carole King)

CS&N- Guinnevere

Joni Mitchell- River, Coyote, California; I don't know. Can't pick just one of Joni's.

edit:

I could have added anything by Little Feat

I could have added anything by Pink Floyd

I could have added anything by Steely Dan

I could have added anything by Stevie Wonder

• Members

In My Life - Beatles

Bad Luck Blue Eyes Goodbye - Black Crowes

The Other Side - David Gray

Nothing Can Change This Love - Sam Cooke

Ooh La La - Faces

Lately, absolutely anything by Kelly Joe Phelps (thank you, HCAG!).

Edit: Oops! Just noticed the lived in the era of them part. Guess I should take Sam Cooke off my list, but I'm not gonna do it! There's this certain quality to really great music - it can somehow make you feel nostalgic for times you've never known. Sam Cooke can always pull that out of me with a single note.

Second Edit: Damn! I'd have to take "In My Life" off as well - released in 1965. Not going to do it! You can have my songs when you pry them from my cold, dead hands!

• Members

Oops! Just noticed the
lived in the era of them
part

I didn't mean you had to be alive when the song came out--I was being looser than that. For example, I consider this still to be a "Beatles" era, for example, what with their music still ubiquitous in the culture. Anything goes!

My playing partner (Mike) is all of 23, and our new fiddle player (Andy) is 19. But we seem to live in the same musical universe, in terms of what music we know and love. The other day when the three of us were jamming I started "Ring of Fire", but couldn't remember the second verse, and lo and behold Andy knew it.

• Members

Thunder Road, Springsteen

A Change is Gonna Come, Sam Cooke

Fake Plastic Trees, Radiohead

Hickory Wind, Byrds

Desperadoes Under the Eaves, Zevon

I'm astonished by the presence of Neil Diamond on so many lists. Not unhappy, mind you, but astonished. "I Am, I Said" almost made my list.

• Members

Beach Boys God only Knows

Rolling Stones Angie

Garth Brooks The Dance

Three Dog Night Pieces of April

I am sure some will laugh at this next one, But I can not help it

David Cassidy/Partridge Family I'll meet you halfway

There are many I could have listed, and my mood always changes But these are always at or near the top

• Members

Ripple
-Grateful Dead

Wish You Were Here
-Pink Floyd

Truly an amazing song, but have you heard Kris Kristofferson's original?

Anyway, here are my five:

Tom Traubert's Blues - Tom Waits

If You See Her Say Hello - Bob Dylan

Thunder Road - Bruce Springsteen

Famous Blue Raincoat - Leonard Cohen

The Broad Majestic Shannon - The Pogues

• Members

I've never really thought about any songs as my absolute favorites but here's my list, right here, right now (contents subject to change):

Rosie - Jackson Browne

Load Out - Jackson Browne

Funeral for a Friend - Elton John

A Pirate Looks at Forty - Jimmy Buffet

Desperado - Eagles

It's really hard to limit favorites to just songs. I'm sure it's easier for everyone to think of their 5 favorite artists. I adore so many Jackson Browne and Jimmy Buffet songs that my list would look more like an anthology.

Most goosebumpy song: Teach Your Children. My brother always played it when he was at home on leave from the army back in '70/'71. It always made me cry.

• Members

I've been working that one up recently, albeit fingerstyle. I've almost got it. Great tune!

Kenny Rogers- one of my favorite guilty pleasures. and remember (the silver fox) Charlie Rich ? great stuff.

great list, Trina. I would feel right @ home in your record collection. anything by Aretha or Marvin Gaye is good by me. Isleys were so great. Gave Jimi his start.

Here's mine. all *songs* with
vocals
and
lyrics
and that kind of stuff (which as some of you may know is a bit foreign to me).

Paul Simon- St. Judy's Comet

Bobbie Gentry- Ode to Billy Joe

James Taylor- You've Got a Friend (Carole King)

CS&N- Guinnevere

Joni Mitchell- River, Coyote, California; I don't know. Can't pick just one of Joni's.

Well thank ya. Gentry's, 'Ode to Billy Joe' almost made my top 5. Of course, Mike knew he'd toruture us by limiting us to 5 songs. :evil:

Here's Bessie's, "Backwater Blues". Dinah Washington recorded this song also and her version also gives goosebumps.

[YOUTUBE]WpmC-ifyvzA&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Archived