Recommend me some good bluegrass...

Tag

• Members

Ricky Scaggs, Marty Stuart, Alison Krauss with Dan Tyminski, Old Time Medicine Show for new grass.

Osbourne Brothers for old stuff. It's old but doesn't "sound" as old as Bill Monroe.

Lately I'm been listening to Marty Stuart Live at the Ryman.

And I recorded on the dvr about 5 months ago Alison Krauss with Dan Tyminski. I watch it all the time.

• Members
I've been getting very into this stuff for the first time ever lately. I have some Bill Monroe I've been listening to, along with some youtube videos, but that's about it...suggestions?
:thu:

I saw Bill Monroe's mandolin last week at the Country Music Hall of Fame (an original Loar signed F5). Some fan (?) broke into his house and smashed it with a fireplace poker, Gibson glued the 150 plus splinters back together and Monroe played it until his death.

I'd add a couple more - the Barb Wire Cutters, Seldom Scene has been mentioned, and while it really isn't bluegrass, the old Nitty Gritty Dirt Bands album "Will the Circle be Unbroken" has some classic stuff. David Grissman, Allison Krass and even early Jerry Garcia aren't true bluegrass either but they sure are fun to listen to.

• Members

Ah fantastic! Thanks so much for the many suggestions! I should be busy for a while...Yes, I have been listening to Old Crow and those guys are rad too. I've seen some Tony Rice videos on youtube that blew me away, but did he record any albums (solo or with a group)? Which one would be a good first album to get?

• Members
I saw Bill Monroe's mandolin last week at the Country Music Hall of Fame (an original Loar signed F5). Some fan (?) broke into his house and smashed it with a fireplace poker, Gibson glued the 150 plus splinters back together and Monroe played it until his death.

:eek: Do you have a picture of that mando?! I wonder how all that surgery affected the tone...

• Members
Ah fantastic! Thanks so much for the many suggestions! I should be busy for a while...Yes, I have been listening to Old Crow and those guys are rad too. I've seen some Tony Rice videos on youtube that blew me away, but did he record any albums (solo or with a group)? Which one would be a good first album to get?

If you like guitar oriented bluegrass, Check these out.

The Tony Rice Bluegrass Guitar Collection. Also, Dan Crary also has a Bluegrass Guitar CD. Several great artists play with them.

I highly recommend them both. Great stuff! :thu:

• Members
:eek:
Do you have a picture of that mando?! I wonder how all that surgery affected the tone...

I don't, unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me. It was inside a glass case but really couldn't see the marks where it had been repaired. It looked like a well played well loved beat up old mandolin - finish worn away - tired but happy. What stories that old gal could tell.

I assume that is the one Monroe is playing on all his recordings and everything I've heard him do sounds pretty darn incredible. Btw, the latest issue of Fretboard Journal has an article on the Grand Old Opry and some great pics of Monroe jamming in the hall way.

We were also walking thru the Nashville honky tonk district and heard a great mando player busking on the sidewalk. It was about 32 degrees out, he was all bundled up and just pickin' like crazy. I added to the few coins in his case.

• Members

The Bluegrass Albumn Band- Vols I-IV? an 80s recording "supergroup" w/JD Crowe or Tony Trishka on banjo, Jerry Douglas, varoius fiddlers.

All of them are great. Feature TOnys fine vocals before his voice went out.

Another good one is Skaggs & Rice. Duets of Traditional tunes w/just Tony on guitar and Rickey on mandolin.

Also dont forget the Rounder Album from the 70s, JD Crowe & the New South, with Rice on guitar, Skaggs on mando & fiddle, and Douglas on Dobro, an all time classic in my book.

Solo with vocals: Church Street Blues, theres more but I cant think of the names of em. They came out in the 80s mostly.

Look for stuff that's not the Tony Rice Unit, thats the instrumental Jazz/Dawg type stuff.

Tony had a fine voice back in the day, was one of my favorite singers.

He could cover Gordon Lightfoot better than Gordon Lightfoot.

• Members

Ok. Here's quirky for you.

Every year Belfast has a Chilli Fest. Yup. Whoopin' an a'hollerin' an'a footstampin' (given recent history a line is drawn at a firin' them sixguns)

There's chilli eatin' contest ( Our own Raj of this forum was fourth, beating last years champione, before being taken out by just too many Naga) and of course, cold beer and suitable music over the 3-4 days (incl Hayseed Dixie)

but for me the stand out band was Bluegrass outfit called Trampled by Turtles.

Driving, tight, together Bluegrass of the utmost with stellar players. If you like that type of music look'em up right now.

Most of their stuff is self penned so it will all be fresh. Being from Yurrup, and hence pale of neck ;) , I was bit reluctant to weigh in here, but damn these guy are good.

Is this the point at which one exclaims,"Yeehaw!" ? :facepalm:

• Members

I don't, unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me. It was inside a glass case but really couldn't see the marks where it had been repaired. It looked like a well played well loved beat up old mandolin - finish worn away - tired but happy. What stories that old gal could tell.

I assume that is the one Monroe is playing on all his recordings and everything I've heard him do sounds pretty darn incredible. Btw, the latest issue of Fretboard Journal has an article on the Grand Old Opry and some great pics of Monroe jamming in the hall way.

We were also walking thru the Nashville honky tonk district and heard a great mando player busking on the sidewalk. It was about 32 degrees out, he was all bundled up and just pickin' like crazy. I added to the few coins in his case.

I would have enjoyed that immensely, cold or not.

• Members

Get som Sam Bush(Not entirely bluegrass), he'll amaze you. Next, look at the players on his album. Go find stuff by them. In fact, that is one of the things I really like about b/g. Everybody plays on everybody's projects and has performed with everyone else at some time or another. Lots of great pickers out there and they're all a big family. Have fun because that is what b/g is all about.

• Members

Very young Clarence and Roland White on the Andy Griffith show. Note the guitar he is using which Tony Rice got after Clarence's demise.

[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

Clarence played in Muleskinner, the bluegrass supergroup, with David Grisman (mandolin), Richard Greene (fiddle), Bill Keith (banjo), Stuart Schulman (bass) and Peter Rowan (vocals, rhythm guitar). Clarence was killed by a drunk driver loading his equipment soon after this.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

The South Austin Jug Band is an interesting up and coming group with some very talented players. The mandolin player, who also plays fiddle, won the Texas State Fiddle Championship this year.

Video: http://www.southaustinjugband.com/#/VIDEO/

Archived