What guitar goes with garageband?-I am noob

dhawald3

• Members

Hi

I am a noob regarding guitars I know nothing about them.

I will be buying an acoustic guitar.

I want to know what type of guitar is required if I want to connect it to the mac and use Garageband.

from the little googling I did-

will Acoustic-Electric or semielectric guitar work?

are these two the same type of guitars?

through which port are they connected to the mac?

• Members

Ok but I do not want to record my guitar in garageband,

I want to use the various guitar types available in garageband.

just like using a keyboard controller with garageband.

Technically there are two ways to get guitar sounds in GarageBand, the MIDI / Software Instruments (Big Electric Lead, Classical Acoustic, Clean Electric, etc.) and the Real Instrument presets (Acoustic Guitar Echoes, Arena Rock, Barroom Lead, etc.). The Software Instruments can be triggered by any MIDI controller, usually a keyboard. The guitar tones are synthesized and not terribly realistic.

I suspect you are asking about the Real Instrument presets though -- i.e., how to use GarageBand as a modeling amp. In my experience the best guitar is a straight-up electric, plugged into an audio interface. I've been happy with the results I get from a Variax, which already has modeled tones for different guitars.

The Real Instrument presets are really just effects that are added to the recorded signal, like distortion, delay, flange, etc. You can use a mic to capture an acoustic, and still add the effects. But it won't be as clean as plugging in directly -- you may have some hiss or noise, which could be magnified if you add overdrive or some other gain-boosting effect. Most of the presets are designed for electric sounds.

If you really want something 'just like using a keyboard controller,' then you'll need a MIDI guitar. A keyboard controller sends data to the computer, not audio. The electric guitar sends audio. Let me know if you need further explanation of this.

Archived