Looking for inexpensive "stage" guitar

Killa J

• Members

I don't know if anyone remembers, but I'm the guy that kept asking for opinions on high end lefty guitars (I ended up ordering the Bourgeois DB Signature Dread).

Now I need opinions on the opposite - I want a cheap guitar that I won't have a heart attack about bringing out to bars. I'm not talking tourist pawn-shop cheap, but I'd like to stay around $300 or so. I'm not expecting any incredible tones, but I prefer something that plays really well. I'm leaning towards the Carvin Cobalt C250LH, but I'd like some opinions on other guitars in that price range (I know, not much to work with).

• Members

What do you mean by "stage guitar". Electronics?

Maybe electronics at some point down the line. What I mean by "stage" guitar is something I won't be nervous about playing on stage in bars/etc. The only live acoustic playing I do is "open mic night" type of stuff. My friend sings, and I play guitar. Most of the time, I don't even have to mic the guitar.

As far as the Rogue goes, I'm sure that has to sound and play like crap.

• Members

My vote goes to the Yammie. Lotsa git for the buck. It's a real workhorse and will keep on sounding great until somebody lobs beer through the chicken wire.

After that, dry it out and it'll probably still sound great. Yammies are pretty tough.

• Members

If you're playing a Bourgeois as your regular guitar, I suspect you will be disappointed in any sub-$300 guitar you choose as your 'live guitar.'

After years of agonizing over it, I now bring my Bourgeois to all but the seediest of gigs I play. Face it, the crappier a place is, the less likely a thief will recognize anything other than Martin or Gibson.

For the really bad places, I bring my Larrivee. :lol:

• Members

Wow, newbe here. I see there are some really smart folks here (Yamaha fans :) ) I have been collecting Yamahas for a few years. There are some serious cheap jewels to be had.

The FG720 is all you need. You will start looking at that Borgious funny.

I don't know if you want to go to do comparisions and or go to the trouble of flipping the nut or not. the APX stuff is made for plugging in, sound great (plugged in) they sound ok unplugged, they are cheap! The CPX stuff will blow you away plugged or unplugged.

Lots of Yamaha choices.

• Members

. . . I'm leaning towards the Carvin Cobalt C250LH, but I'd like some opinions on other guitars in that price range (I know, not much to work with).

The Cobalt is okay but they tend to be a tad overpriced. You can get essentially the same guitar by buying an Ibanez Artwood. Both are made by Cort and if there's a Cort dealer near you I'd recommend checking them out. They're the second largest maker of guitars in the world after Samick and they make numerous other brands, including Carvin Cobalts, Ibanez acoustics and Washburn. Their own guitars are excellent.

Archived