asdf

taylorplayer89

• Members

well the problem is like he said he is the second owner, warranties usually dont transfer.

I would still give it a shot. Being that it is an issue due to manufacturing a lot of times it doesn't matter if he is the second owner. I've known a lot of companies to do work on their products if it is obvious that the issue was of their own fault. My buddy had a Xbox 360 that was 3 years old and never filled out the warranty for it and ended up getting the "red rings". Microsoft repaired it free of charge.

The worst they can say is no :thu:

• Members

well the problem is like he said he is the second owner, warranties usually dont transfer.

Martin is not a typical company that looks to avoid warranty work.

If it's a workmanship problem on their end, I say they will probably fix it for free.

• Members

Nope, i don't really use any oils, i've used a martin guitar polish a few times, but not to the extent that it would be to blame. My last guitar, a Taylor 414ce, started to get a lot of fret buzz because I left it out on a stand in my room, where the humidity and temp fluctuated, and that's why I've been extra careful with this one, always keeping it in the case, with a humidifier and hygrometer (don't know if that's what it's called) that tells me the exact humidity, temp, and keeps track of highs and lows. I'm 100% this is a Martin finishing defect so we'll see if they try to keep their reputation. I'll try to get in touch with them. Thank you guys for the concern though, I really appreciate your feedback!!! All of your ideas are very appreciated! Thanks again guys!

-Jeff

Whereabouts in the case do you store your humidifier and which type is it? It just seems strange for the problem to manifest itself during the short time you've owned the guitar and not during the previous five years.

• Members

Wouldn't be so quick to assume this is a Martin defect. It's a five year old guitar. A factory defect would usually have revealed itself in that time. Why didn't the original/previous owner avail themselves of the warranty? Possibility is that the previous owner tried to overspray to resolve some personal issue (glossy/flat preferance), and used a finish incompatible with that on the guitar. That would void the warranty and justify sale rather than seeking recourse with the manufacturer.

Another thing that arouses suspicion is the time frame. A five year old Martin guitar with no issues has finish problems just two months after you come into possession? Bull{censored}. He steel-wooled the neck to make it faster for him, then sprayed Ace Hardware Poly on it so he could sell it as in "Original Condition". Youth, zeal, and ignorance showed me the wrong way to do refins. This is a classic crap overspray. This is way out of warranty business.

On the good side, it's easy to fix. Talk to a luthier with a good hand at finish. You can reduce cost by doing most of the stripping yourself. You don't need to go to bare wood, just get the crap off. Heck, that might be all you have to do.

• Members

The reason behind the questions is that the problem area is isolated to the parts of the neck that come in prolonged direct contact with the left hand, guitar case neck support and - potentially - a guitar stand neck support. Accurately identifying the cause tends to be the surest way of finding both a cure and ways of avoiding future problems.

In terms of the problem in hand, something has recently lead to a cascading deterioration in the neck finish.

Have you used anything other than a damp cloth or instrument polish to clean the neck? eg. Acetone is one particular chemical perfectly capable of causing this kind of problem on a satin nitro finish.

In light of your comments regarding the gloss neck finish. The Jonh Mayer OM-28 is supposed to have a satin neck finish and - like Boxorox - I'd suspect a "re-spray" problem if the present finish is gloss. What is the general appearance of the neck beneath the bubble defects? Does it appear to be a satin finish and is ths intact?

• Members

Ahhh... So, Andrew, there's been a finish prob documented in Martins of this time frame? I take back the uncharitable comments on the previous owner then. Happens now and then. Guilds back in the early 70's, Mossmans (poor storage by distributor), Stelling banjoes (bad batch of lacqer). The description does sound like poly-rejection, and the time frame was suspicious, but stranger things have happened. Still, if the specs call for a matte neck, someone could have tried to shine it up and used something caustic. If it's a Martin prob it'd be worth seeing if they'd handle it.

• Members

Hey guys,

About 3 months ago, I bought a Martin OM-28 John Mayer from the original owner off eBay. When I got the guitar I inspected it thoroughly and found it to be in close to immaculate condition. For being 5 years old and played, there was only one dent the size of a pencil tip in the top and the rest of the guitar was mint. About a month ago I noticed a bubble near the third fret on the neck of the guitar. The bubble got bigger and with a little pressure the finish flaked right off. Since then, the air bubbles have spread down the neck and the finish looks like it will inevitably continue to flake off. From all the research I've been able to, it appears this is actually the result of an error made when the guitar was finished, the result of some contamination under the finish. Does anyone know anything about this? I'm assuming I will have to take the guitar to a luthier, who will have to strip the remaining finish off the neck, and re-finish it. I'm also assuming my warranty is void since I am the second owner. Any input or advice is greatly appreciated since I've never had to deal with this and am a little frustrated since it's my dream guitar and I'm already having problems. Thanks you guys!

-Jeff

Ya you get no warranty with a used Martin, period.

The problem I think you have is the finish that is fretboard sides is now starting to lift a bit.

All my acoustic have some of this, both Gibson and Martins.

It won't effect it.

The thing is this is a strange area where the unfinsihed top part of the fret board mets the finished side of the fret boards and over time and over the season the fretbord expands ever so slightly with hummidity and temp changes.

I take kick ass care of my guitars and like I said all of em have some of the finish that lifted off, or is lifting off.

So guitars I have had for 20 yeas with out so much as a ding in em and it's still and issue.

Guitars were ment to be played.

No with out a warranty, if you ever need a neck reset it's gonna cost ya a nice hunk of change. Martin covered my mC 28 100% and even kicked in for a new bridge and saddle at my request.

There warranty is so good, I turned around and bought 2 more Martins. I had the warranty work done by a local authorized luthier here in town.

• Members

Hey guys,

About 3 months ago, I bought a Martin OM-28 John Mayer from the original owner off eBay. When I got the guitar I inspected it thoroughly and found it to be in close to immaculate condition. For being 5 years old and played, there was only one dent the size of a pencil tip in the top and the rest of the guitar was mint. About a month ago I noticed a bubble near the third fret on the neck of the guitar. The bubble got bigger and with a little pressure the finish flaked right off. Since then, the air bubbles have spread down the neck and the finish looks like it will inevitably continue to flake off. From all the research I've been able to, it appears this is actually the result of an error made when the guitar was finished, the result of some contamination under the finish. Does anyone know anything about this? I'm assuming I will have to take the guitar to a luthier, who will have to strip the remaining finish off the neck, and re-finish it. I'm also assuming my warranty is void since I am the second owner. Any input or advice is greatly appreciated since I've never had to deal with this and am a little frustrated since it's my dream guitar and I'm already having problems. Thanks you guys!

-Jeff

Does it look like this?:

IMG_0146.jpg

That is the neck of my 1994 HD-28. The finish began bubbling about a month after I bought the guitar. In this next picture, which I took the day I got the guitar, you can see that it's not as bad.

IMG_0134.jpg

The first picture was taken only a few weeks later. Since then it's gotten worse and has begun to appear in other spots on the neck. I was going to leave it alone, but at this point it's grown to the size of a half dollar and is down to bare wood. My guitar tech sealed it with shellac until I decided what to do about it and now I think I'm going to have it repaired. I don't have a warranty, but I don't live far from Nazareth and I can take it to the factory and they'll do it right.

• Members

Does it look like this?:

IMG_0146.jpg

That is the neck of my 1994 HD-28. The finish began bubbling about a month after I bought the guitar. In this next picture, which I took the day I got the guitar, you can see that it's not as bad.

IMG_0134.jpg

The first picture was taken only a few weeks later. Since then it's gotten worse and has begun to appear in other spots on the neck. I was going to leave it alone, but at this point it's grown to the size of a half dollar and is down to bare wood. My guitar tech sealed it with shellac until I decided what to do about it and now I think I'm going to have it repaired. I don't have a warranty, but I don't live far from Nazareth and I can take it to the factory and they'll do it right.

In all honesty the flaw has every appearance of being a reaction between the finish and the rubberized neck support commonly found on guitar stands and hangers.

• Members

In all honesty the flaw has every appearance of being a reaction between the finish and the rubberized neck support commonly found on guitar stands and hangers.

That is what everyone has said, but it must have been exposed to the rubber before I got it because I don't have a stand that grabs the neck in that spot. It really doesn't bother me all that much and I'm inclined to leave it alone, but if was ever going to sell one of my Martins, this would be the one so whatever I do I want to protect the resale value.

• Members

I reduced the images, noticed that this may be a little hard to see but....

Here she is. (Click for a bigger image)

dsc0151ex6.th.jpg

Here if you can look you can see where a big piece is now missing, leaving some exposed wood. (Click for a bigger image)

dsc0153bt8.th.jpg

And here's a closeup, the dang flash makes it difficult to see but, you can see the bubbles forming and where the giant piece is flaking. (Click for a bigger image)

dsc0154dw1.th.jpg

Taking a picture with the flash directed across (Instead of at) the target image should help reduce glare.

If what I'm seeing is a gloss finish, my initial impression is that it may be a result of a poorly prepaired neck overspray, as this version of the OM-28 is spec'd with a satin neck finish but appears far glossier than any of my Martins.

Another cause of de-laminated finish at the neck:fingerboard transition is when fingerboards are over oiled and the oil is drawn beneath the open edged finish via capillarity/capillary action. The source - in this case of de-lamination - appears to originate at the upper fingerboard edge. It also appears to soak back along the neck:fingerboard seam.

• 2 weeks later...