Solid wood older used guitar for under $400

enroper

• Members

My knowledge of old acoustics is definitely not on par with what I know about electrics, so I apologize for the simple question.

But I'd always love to find an older, solid wood constructed acoustic, but just not pay too much for it. Is there anything out there on the used market worth getting thats around 400? I like dreadnaught style guitars btw.

• Members

My knowledge of old acoustics is definitely not on par with what I know about electrics, so I apologize for the simple question.

But I'd always love to find an older, solid wood constructed acoustic, but just not pay too much for it. Is there anything out there on the used market worth getting thats around 400? I like dreadnaught style guitars btw.

Blueridge makes a great sounding dreadnaught guitar. To my ear (and I think many on here will agree) it sounds pretty darn close to a Martin dreadnaught. The Blueridge solid wood dreads are the BR 140, 160 and 180 and the BG 140, 160 and 180. The 140s start at $800 new so I'm guessing you could find a used one in your price range.

The difference between the BR and the BG models is the BG has a rounded or 'soft' shoulder vs the BR having a square shoulder. The numbers (140, 160, 180) only mean they get fancier. In other words, the 140 is cheaper because it doesn't have all the fancy inlays and such but is essentially the same guitar tonaly and structurally as the 180.

Aha - I just found this BG 160 on ebay for under $400, check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Blueridge-BG-160-Acoustic-Guitar_W0QQitemZ230318319645QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item230318319645&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

• Members

They are not around in great numbers, but if you can find an older Yamaha L series guitar (like the L5A) you will be well pleased at the quality, sound and price. I know of two different L5As that were purchased for under $300. I would not hesitate to match their sound to any guitar up to $3,000. Without a doubt, the best bargain I know of.

The body style is a unique Yamaha shape that is closest to a Dreadnought, but the waist is more defined than dreads usually are.

• Members

They are not around in great numbers, but if you can find an older Yamaha L series guitar (like the L5A) you will be well pleased at the quality, sound and price. I know of two different L5As that were purchased for under $300. I would not hesitate to match their sound to any guitar up to $3,000. Without a doubt, the best bargain I know of.

The body style is a unique Yamaha shape that is closest to a Dreadnought, but the waist is more defined than dreads usually are.

Along with that are the "L6" series yamaha for $489 (B stock). Check EBay and type in Yamaha L series guitar....should find them. They are very nice guitars.

• Members

Here ya go:

Epiphone EMM5NSNHN1 DR-500M Masterbilt "DR Collection" Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar (Natural Satin)

These are all solid wood and are great sounding guitars. Also available in either rosewood or mahogany as an Advanced Jumbo (AJ-500) or as an OM (ER-500).

• Members

Used to have an L5A and couldn't agree more. :thu:

• Members

If you like the idea of an all-solid, American made guitar with just enough bling to be purdy and terrific tone then I'd suggest looking at some used Tacomas. You can find them all day long in your price range. This DM18 is $399 w/free shipping on the bay. They were $1239 new. http://cgi.ebay.com/ALL-SOLID-WOODS-TACOMA-DM-18_W0QQitemZ200297232122QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item200297232122&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Solid Sitka top

Solid "Real" Mahogany back & sides

Abalone rosette

Herringbone Purfling

1 piece solid Hog neck

Forward shifted X bracing

• Members

If you like the idea of an all-solid, American made guitar with just enough bling to be purdy and terrific tone then I'd suggest looking at some used Tacomas. You can find them all day long in your price range. This DM18 is $399 w/free shipping on the bay. They were $1239 new.

Solid Sitka top

Solid "Real" Mahogany back & sides

Abalone rosette

Herringbone Purfling

1 piece solid Hog neck

Forward shifted X bracing

I'm convinced that Tacomas wouldn't have to sell for such a mark-down if they would just change the dog-poop bridge to something prettier.

• Members

I'm convinced that Tacomas wouldn't have to sell for such a mark-down if they would just change the dog-poop bridge to something prettier.

Took me a while to take to the style, but now I am on #8. If a person can handle a Breedlove bridge....

I rather enjoy the difference now as I have grown tired of all the copy-cat Pacific rim guitars with the plain -jane symmetrical bridge. :thu:

This one is probably waaay to out for you then! :)

117tnav.jpg

Archived