songs in open D tuning

Bitt81

• Members

I have one of my acoustics tuned to open D to play Little Martha by the Allman Bros. The problem is that it's the only song I can play on that guitar. Please share some other good open D tuning songs. I kind of a hack intermediate player but don't mind a challenge.

• Members

Jimmy Page has a TON of DADGAD songs:

"Kashmir"

"Black Mountain Side"

Chris Cornell also had a pretty good solo acoustic song in open D on the "Singles" soundtrack called "Seasons".

Also, there's "The End" by the Doors. I could play that one for hours and hours!

• Members

Probably half of Joni Mitchell's songs are in open D. Big Yellow Taxi comes to mind.

Simple traditional things like "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" are very easy to play in this tuning. You can also play around with playing the melody on the two highest strings. A nice effect with all those droning strings, and very effective on a 12 string.

http://www.alanhorvath.com/Dchart.php

The above link can get you started with some open chords.

If you have a spare guitar why not leave it in open D so you can play around with it.

Mark Hanson has written some good open tuning books. I use a small one with chord diagrams for the most common open tunings.

If you stick with it you will discover a whole new dimension to your playing.

:cool:

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Leo Kottke - Watermellon, Echoing Guilowitz

John Fahey - Poor Boy

Kelly Joe Phelps - almost all his slide work, but much is capoed

Blind Boy Fuller - Police Dog Blues

traditional - Steel Guitar Rag

traditional - Vestapole (a nickname for the tuning)

Blind Blake (?) - Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground

many many country and Delta blues songs, slide and otherwise

One other cool little trick is to take an open G song and move it up (away from the floor) and play it in open D (you can figure out what to do with the first string). Some songs work better than others

• Members

Almost all the songs from Blood on the tracks are in Open D.

The original recordings (Sept 1974) for BOTT were all in open D but Dylan re-recorded several of them in standard tuning later that year for the official BOTT album. The other songs remaining in open tuning are: Simple Twist Of Fate, Shelter From The Storm, Buckets Of Rain, You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go.

A few songs from Freewheeling were also in open D: Corrina, Down The Highway, Oxford Town, I Shall Be Free.

• Members

And dumb question--is open D the same as dropped D? I've been wanting to try it out sometime.

No, dropped D is just standard tuning with the low E string tuned down two semitones to D (makes songs in the key of D sound better since you have the D in the bass).

For open D the strings are tuned DADF#AD (the three notes that make up the chord of D) so when you strum all the strings open you get a D chord.

• Members

Fred Sokolow has a open tunings beginner dvd lesson available from Stefan Grossman's Guitrar workshop. A couple of previews are on YouTube:

I have it and it is not bad for entry level opening tuning. Some nice easy to mid level stuff that will get you up and playing pretty quick.

• Members

Also, in the Links section of the Annex there are some links to open tuning and slide articles.

I'll add one comment about Little Martha - years ago when I was trying to learn it I was trying to do the part at the 5th fret by holding the barre and hammering on the same chord forms that you do at the first fret, only now using middle, index and pinkie. The pinkie stretch was really hard for me, then I saw Leo Kottke do it in a concert (I was in about the 2nd row) and I realized that he dropped the barre. Bingo! I saw Leo again last spring and he did LM again - as much as I like Alman's version I prefer Leo's with all the harmonics.

• Members

garthman, Thanks for posting that, a nice piece of reference and in pdf format easy to save.

Many accomplished guitarists consider open tunings a dead end creatively. While that may be true, I really love the way the notes ring because of all the open strings.

Thanks Freeman, I have struggled with LM for the same reason, will have to try LKs fingering.

Archived