Yamaha fg-700 or Yamaha fg-730

fubb

• Members

I am a complete beginner and I purchased the fg700 about 2 weeks ago because I wanted to test the waters without having to invest too much.

Needless to say, its an excellent guitar and iv been playing for hours each day since the purchase.

Now that I know that I want to make the committment, I am wondering if I should upgrade to the 730? The shop I purchased it from will let me exchange the guitar if I pay the difference (about $200 cdn).

I have read the reviews and both have outstanding comments. In your opinion, is it worth the upgrade? Keeping in mind that I can't really tell the difference between the 2 yet (sound-wise). I know I want a good guitar that I can grow into as I progress. For those of you who have played both, what do you recommend?

thanks for your help!

K.L

• Members

I know that I A/B'd the FG700S against the FG730S and very much preferred the FG730S. For me, the price difference was a little over $100 so it was a no-brainer.

As a guitar student, the FG700S would be rather satisfying for several years and it would eventually become your beater guitar (and everyone needs one). I seriously doubt that it would hold you back in any way by its tone or playability.

While the FG730S would be a pleasant upgrade, I think you should save your C$200 for the future when your developed skills and ears will demand a more substantial upgrade (like a US$700-$1000 guitar). That's my frugal and pragmatic advice.

• Members

I would agree ... thats a great first guitar you've got that will serve you well for a long time. Once you've been playing for a while and begin to play about with other guitars you'll know what sounds good to you ( thats the important thing ) ... then you can make a more educated choice when you feel like a second one.

just re-read my post - could the same apply for wives ? :lol:

• Members

I would agree ... thats a great first guitar you've got that will serve you well for a long time. Once you've been playing for a while and begin to play about with other guitars you'll know what sounds good to
you
( thats the important thing ) ... then you can make a more educated choice when you feel like a second one.

just re-read my post - could the same apply for wives ?
:lol:

hahaha,

Yes, i think that advice is applicable to more than just guitars.

Cheers guys, I agree. Appreciate the help here.

K.l

• Members

Keep your money in your pocket to upgrade to an all solid wood guitar when the time comes.

Your FG700 is a very good guitar And is only different to the 730 in terms of the laminate used for the back and sides, and some minor cosmetics.

Tonally, there is very little in it. The 730 is possibly a little 'brighter' sounding, but the difference is very small.

The 700 will serve you well for years to come. Start saving for that 'special' guitar when you feel ready (and rich enough!)

My 720 (basically the same as your 700) is my beater and is as good a guitar as I'm willing to risk leaving the house with. Everybody who hears is seems to like the sound.

Enjoy your FG. You've made a great choice for your first axe!

• Members

Possibly not as good as yours, myFG403 and I have had the same relationship over the past year as you are considering now. Have it set up properly, try some Martin Silk and Steels and wait until you can try in a shop yourself. You already seem to have a head start as your post appears so enthusiastic, trywww.justinguitar.com. Thats it, sum total of knowledge learnt so far, good luck :thu:

• Members

Absolutely agree with FL Gator, the 730 is not "better" sounding than the 700, just different, and that difference may not be discernable to many folks. Furthermore, the 730 is not better in build quality. The two guitars differ in the laminates used for back and sides, plus the 730 has different detail and trimmings. I don't think CDN200$ is worth the "upgrade".

• Members

I prefer the 700/720 to the 730. The 730 is noticeably darker/rosewood like to my ears and a little bit more metallic than most rosewood dreads I've played. I prefer the Nato because it's more mahogany like and I've always preferred mahogany dreads to rosewood ones.

• Members

I am a complete beginner and I purchased the fg700 about 2 weeks ago because I wanted to test the waters without having to invest too much.

Needless to say, its an excellent guitar and iv been playing for hours each day since the purchase.

Now that I know that I want to make the committment, I am wondering if I should upgrade to the 730? The shop I purchased it from will let me exchange the guitar if I pay the difference (about $200 cdn).

I have read the reviews and both have outstanding comments. In your opinion, is it worth the upgrade? Keeping in mind that I can't really tell the difference between the 2 yet (sound-wise). I know I want a good guitar that I can grow into as I progress. For those of you who have played both, what do you recommend?

thanks for your help!

K.L

At this point I'd stick with what you've got and have your FG720S set up whilst considering the addition of a bone saddle. This will allow your skills to advance very nicely will a decent quality instrument - that sounds good and plays very comfortably - until your ear develops and you find something more to your liking further down the line. :thu:

• Members

thanks for all of the opinions and words of encouragement! I look forward to being an active member of this community.

And yes, justinsguitars is a fantastic resource. I have been using it extensively.

Thanks again!

K.L

• Members

They seem to sell everywhere for $200.

At Andy's Music Online, you can get one for $200, including gig bag, stand, and DVD.

At Kraft Music, it's $220 with all kinds of accessories included.

But, here's what I'd definitley check-out this weekend: I got a card in the mail from Sam Ash. For the President's Day Sale (Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon), you get $75 off any purchase of $199 or more. There are many exclusions, but Yamaha guitars doesn't appear to be one of them. Now that would be a sweet deal!

• Members

But, here's what I'd definitley check-out this weekend: I got a card in the mail from Sam Ash. For the President's Day Sale (Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon), you get $75 off any purchase of $199 or more. There are many exclusions, but Yamaha guitars doesn't appear to be one of them. Now that would be a sweet deal!

Kimona, was that deal restricted to certain customers of SamAsh? It could probably be used as bargaining leverage for the other retailers. That's 37.5% off $200. :)

• Members

Kimona, was that deal restricted to certain customers of SamAsh? It could probably be used as bargaining leverage for the other retailers. That's 37.5% off $200.
:)

Okay... I'm reading the fine print as I type: "You must present this card to get this special discount!" Hmmm...

Archived