Just got back from a Tommy Emmanuel concert... Oh. My. God.

Sheik_Yerbouti

• Members

Holy GOD...

I suck! :facepalm:

Simply one of the most amazing performances I have ever witnessed. Like Chet Atkins meets Jerry Reed, only taken to a whole new level and what an incredible entertainer as well!

Classical wizard Stephen Robinson opened and was also amazing, then came out and did a couple of classical pieces that Tommy just freakin' BLAZED to, whippin' out uber-clean warp 9 sweep arpeggios on a 1934 Gibson parlor guitar! :freak:

I am totally blown away, if you have never seen this guy live, DO NOT miss the opportunity!

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Yep, I was there last night too and it was simply amazing! That 1934 Gibson Kalamazoo was something! He made that puppy sing. Stephen Robinson was a pure player and when they combined....WooooHoooo! Like Sheik said, it truly humbles you as a guitar player to hear these guys. I got a LOT of practicing to do!

• Members

I think I'm the only guitar player I know who's seen him live and been entirely unmoved. Technically brilliant, yes, but I've never been emotionally engaged by any of his pieces. It's not that I don't like the virtuoso thing, I'm a huge fan of Leo Kottke, but it just seems... bland.

Don't mean to irritate anyone, although I probably will. Just one of those subjective weirdnesses.

• Members

Holy crap.... Initiation, I never heard that one before, that was incredible. That sounds as if it could have blended right into the Ummagumma album right under 'Several species of small fury animals gathered together and grooving with a pict'.

That's off his early 90s record "The Journey", which actually features some great Telecaster work as well. It's still one of my all-time favorite Tommy records!

And yes, that 1934 Kalamazoo sounded amazing! It was great to see all that for the benefit of the Douglas Anderson School of the Arts. I can't even begin to imagine what an incredible inspiration it must've been to those kids to play in that beautiful venue with two absolute masters in Tommy & Stephen.

It's virtually impossible for me to imagine anyone leaving a Tommy Emmanuel show "unmoved", but to each his own I suppose! I know I was seriously moved, and have been practicing all day! :thu:

I was really inspired to work on my right hand, Tommy's right hand is pure witchcraft! :freak:

• Members

I think I'm the only guitar player I know who's seen him live and been entirely unmoved. Technically brilliant, yes, but I've never been emotionally engaged by any of his pieces. It's not that I don't like the virtuoso thing, I'm a huge fan of Leo Kottke, but it just seems... bland.

Don't mean to irritate anyone, although I probably will. Just one of those subjective weirdnesses.

Although I am a fan, I do get where you are coming from. Sometimes it's not the number-of or speed of notes but the placement and feeling.

• Members

Although I am a fan, I do get where you are coming from. Sometimes it's not the number-of or speed of notes but the placement and feeling.

It's not like every song he plays is like "Tall Fiddler." What about songs like "Since We Met," "Stay With Me," "Those Who Wait" or "Questions?" These songs don't have a lot of notes - maybe just a quick fill here or there - but for the most part they are slow and played with an ear toward conveying emotion.

EDIT: oh wait, then he's just channeling James Taylor... :idk:

• Members

What it boils down to is that the tension-resolution dynamic in the instrumentals I've heard him play (and I've *only* heard him live) isn't unpredictable enough to have much emotional impact on me. I listen to a lot of classical and baroque string sonatas, I don't know if that's had an effect. Certainly Kottke and Hedges were influenced by Bach more than Chet Atkins :idk:

• Members

He is kind of like John Mayer for me, technically proficient but leaves me lacking on the emotional/mojo side. Amazing chops though.

I dunno, he played some really beautiful pieces the other night that I thought were quite emotive, and the sheer sense of joy that his playing exuded was palpable to me.

Results may vary, I suppose. :idk:

• Members

I dunno, he played some really beautiful pieces the other night that I thought were quite emotive, and the sheer sense of joy that his playing exuded was palpable to me.

Results may vary, I suppose.
:idk:

If he is emotive to you that's great. For me, listening to him is like drinking lite beer.

Archived