Old EKO Guitars...

Jimmy Chaos

• Members

... Briefly a few years ago, I had an EKO Ranger as a travel guitar, I bought it really cheap it had an adjustable bridge and the action was really nice for an old guitar (The neck was taylor-esque buttery!)

Anyway not long after I got it, someone offered me more than I paid for it. I accepted.

I wish I still had it as it was a really nice guitar and had a lovely tone.

I can't help but think what a cannon it would have sounded if I'd have changed the strings it came with.

Any love for these on here? I've seen one going cheap on eBay and I'm tempted.

My old EKO Ranger

dsc00165y.jpg

• Members

i have the 12 string version and, as much as i love the shape of the neck, those guitars did have a couple of problems.Most of them did break in the spot between the neck and the headstock(so ask for detailed pics).Also, for having such a big body, they don't resonate so much, thanks to the thick layers of paint they put on.The ranger i have is good to record with, in a way, but the sound is kinda muffled.Also, the quality varies from model to model, but not so much.

I've changed strings, adjusted the bridge and made some major/minor work all over, and the sound is improved, but it's not what i call a great guitar, even in their price range.

If you like them, fine,but i don't think changing the strings would make such a big improvement.

In a way, i hope to be wrong ;).

• Members

I had a Ranger 12 string. I loved it. Easiest action ever on a 12. It was destroyed in a car wreck in 1973 in Limon Colorado.

I was just back from the VN war. A drunk ran a red light. With the insurance money, I replaced it with my first Guild - a 1972 D-25.

I would have bought another EKO 12. But no store sold EKO's in the US. It was a European brand.

A Malaysian-Chinese expat friend of mine has an old EKO Ranger. He loves his too.

I traded him my D-40 Guild for a sculpture. (Because the D-40 was made to be played - by him - not me.)

The Guild smokes the EKO in tone.

• 8 years later...

Archived