Fender CD-140S or Yamaha FG700S?

rivercruiser

• Members

Total noob here. Both guitars are selling locally for about the same price ($240~250). Which one would you guys recommend?

I read elsewhere someone asking to compare the FG730S with the DG-100. The few responses he got were clearly on the Yamaha side, one poster even mentioning that Fender doesn't make great acoustic guitars.

A friend of mine who went with me to the store was very enthusiastic about the Fender and was totally dismissing the Yamaha. But it seemed to me that his judgment was greatly affected by blind brand loyalty and some nostalgia so I guess I'd really appreciate some more feedback. What do you think?

(My apologies for posting this in another forum but the store's seasonal sale will tomorrow and I'm not getting replies elsewhere)

• Members

Duds can be found within any brand of guitar, but I'd dare say Fender produce far more duds among their lineup than Yamaha. You're virtually guaranteed a fail safe choice if chosing something from amongst Yamaha's FG series of instruments as a first acoustic that's more than capable of taking you where you want too be.

The best advice I can offer is for you to choose one within your budget that's pleasing to both your ears and hands. ;)

• Members

Welcome, Rivercruiser.

I'm not that familiar with the Yamaha FG700S compared to the Fender CD-140S, but, like Gary Palmer mentions, there are good ones and "duds" in just about all mfg.'s line ups.

I am very familiar with the Fender DG-100 compared to the Yamaha FG730S, however, because I've personally compared both of those on a couple of occasions. If you searched long enough, I think you could find a Fender DG-100 that would sound great. However, just about EVERY Yamaha FG730S I've picked up sounded great to my ears. I feel it's just a more consistantly better built and sounding guitar.

I'm pretty sure you can save about $50 by buying the Fender, but I also think I'd rather spend the extra $50 and get the Yamaha. And, BTW, you're hearing this from someone who just happens to own a Fender dreadnought that's almost 30 years old that I intend to keep until I die. It WAS one of the good ones. On today's market however, I think Yamaha, for the money, wins it, hands down!

• Members

Just a note, I purchased a Fender A/E for my son. When it arrived, the finish was cracked from the screws mounting the electronics. I just have to say that QC at Fender just turned me off them completely. Today I received my Yamaha LL16 (I know steps above FG) but it is absolutely beautiful. I am new, but I can say without reservation, that the advice on this forum plays out. Go Yammie

• Members

Wow! Thanks everybody so much for all the responses and the warm welcome, I really appreciate it!

I was leaning towards the Yamaha from the beginning but I had also thought that I don't know much and my friend kept pushing for the Fender. Thanks again for making it a whole lot easier, great forum!

• Members

Years from now, that Yammie will still sound sweet and it's voice will have aged like a fine wine.
:love:

Years from now, that Fender may well be a clock.
:idea:

Well said, and not sure how good of a clock.....

It was disappointing, as when I first pulled it out it was pretty. But I have to say, if the finish is hard enough to 'CRACK' in a line about 8" long off one screw, and 3" diagonally from another screw, it can't flex much, right? It felt like plastic......

• 8 years later...
  • Members

I think I'm qualified to respond - I've owned both.

First, the Yamaha - despite reasonable build quality, and good sound, the action was high and proved impossible to fix. The neck needed resetting

Next, the Fender CD140S. Build quality is reasonable, the solid top is most welcome, the tuners are OK, the finish glossy and even (gloss is not to my taste). The action from the shop was also way too high but the saddle had plenty of meat. Therefore I was able to reduce the saddle height to provide a good, playable action. The intonation is surprisingly spot-on and overall produces an excellent even & ringing sound.

My vote goes to the Fender.

• Members

I have yet to pay a decent fender acoustic -have heard they make a upper end model or two -but have yet to play one -

so my answer goes to Yamaha - Thou Id buy up the ladder a bit -I still have my 1971 yammie 12 string -still sounds good ,

unfortunately its worth practicaly nothing -if it was me Id look at the new Guilds Cordoba is making ( thou a tad more in price )

• Members

My vote also goes to the Yamaha. Although I've never played that particular model, I still regularly play my 1978 FG-365S and, as Terry Allan Hall mentions, it still sounds excellent and plays well. My experience with Fender acoustics has been with friends' guitars, and my overall impression has been that their sound tends to be "thinner", for lack of a better word, and playability rather variable.

Cheers,

------------------------------

EDIT: Apologies .... just noticed that this thread was OPed in 2009 ...

Archived